did anyone just lose weight just on the treadmill???

Options
I have a treadmill I walk/brisk pace 2-3 miles every day just 1 rest day for a hour speed is between 2-3 on incline. I just started my weightloss journey. I am patient to losing weight. I eat clean as well. I just wanted to know if anyone just did treadmill workouts and lost any weight. I try to do dvds but they bore me so much. i love the treadmill and i want to eventually crossover to running but i have to build my endurance level. i burn 5-582 calories a day on treadmill. i eat 12-1300 calories. please help.

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    The first time I seriously lost weight, I lost about 30 pounds just doing treadmill and stationary bike, eating 1975 calories a day AND eating back ALL my exercise calories. Then it got to the point where that was just not effective at all. Then I started doing the elliptical and AMT machine. I continued losing weight then I said HEY, I'M GOING TO REDUCE MY CALORIES BY A LOT! I started netting 15-1600 calories a day and stopped losing weight. Then I started gaining weight. Then I became discouraged and gave up and gained all the weight back. I took a hard look at myself and go back to treadmill/elliptical/AMT and eating around 1800 calories. The weight started coming off again but very slowly this time. When the weather became nicer, I started riding my bike outside a lot more. Then I got pregnant... and so on.

The point is, you CAN lose weight doing just the treadmill, but in the long run, it's better to do a lot of types of exercise and definitely do stuff that is more strenuous than a treadmill. And for god sakes, eat more.
  • Aqua1813
    Aqua1813 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! I certainly did. I did exactly what you're doing now, built up endurance and then moved to running. I used the Couch to 5K program (affectionately seen on here as C25K). I didn't do any resistance training. I would do elliptical once in a while to cross train. But essentially, the treadmill and I were best buds. I lost 80 lbs and kept it off for about 1.5 years.

I gained 20 lbs of it back because of a change in career and therefore also lifestyle.

If you have the opportunity though, I would suggest varying your activities not only for variety abut also building additional physical skills. Yoga is something you can do at home. It is also something that helps develop balance, strength and will give your future running legs a good stretch. :) I've found it to be a good complement to running.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 20 pounds by choosing "Hill" method on the treadmill & it works!
  • Kuly85
    Kuly85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I strength train also. I was typing fast getting ready for work. My goal is to be a runner. I walk/jog I do 4 miles everyday. I agree I'm a include more to my workouts.
  • Kuly85
    Options
    I have lost over 20 pounds by choosing "Hill" method on the treadmill & it works!
    omg that is great!!
  • Kuly85
    Options
    The first time I seriously lost weight, I lost about 30 pounds just doing treadmill and stationary bike, eating 1975 calories a day AND eating back ALL my exercise calories. Then it got to the point where that was just not effective at all. Then I started doing the elliptical and AMT machine. I continued losing weight then I said HEY, I'M GOING TO REDUCE MY CALORIES BY A LOT! I started netting 15-1600 calories a day and stopped losing weight. Then I started gaining weight. Then I became discouraged and gave up and gained all the weight back. I took a hard look at myself and go back to treadmill/elliptical/AMT and eating around 1800 calories. The weight started coming off again but very slowly this time. When the weather became nicer, I started riding my bike outside a lot more. Then I got pregnant... and so on.

The point is, you CAN lose weight doing just the treadmill, but in the long run, it's better to do a lot of types of exercise and definitely do stuff that is more strenuous than a treadmill. And for god sakes, eat more.
    I do eat lol. I don't be hungry as much or feel deprived. Once I start running I'm going to increase my intake.
  • Kuly85
    Options
    Yes! I certainly did. I did exactly what you're doing now, built up endurance and then moved to running. I used the Couch to 5K program (affectionately seen on here as C25K). I didn't do any resistance training. I would do elliptical once in a while to cross train. But essentially, the treadmill and I were best buds. I lost 80 lbs and kept it off for about 1.5 years.

I gained 20 lbs of it back because of a change in career and therefore also lifestyle.

If you have the opportunity though, I would suggest varying your activities not only for variety abut also building additional physical skills. Yoga is something you can do at home. It is also something that helps develop balance, strength and will give your future running legs a good stretch. :) I've found it to be a good complement to running.
    I love my treadmill=) I cannot wait for the weather to get better to run outside. Congrats on the 80! That's what I want to lose. I'm going to try yoga. I tried doing high impact workouts I felt I almost died. Lol
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    trying to lose weight without resistance training is ultimately not somethin you want to do... if you are in a caloric deficit and you arent training your body ur wasting time and most times your metabolism will slow down quicker and bodyfat levels will stay roughly the same with bodyweight getting lower.. doing just cardio will make you lose lbs but its not what you want for long term success.
  • Kuly85
    Options
    Thanks.
  • Kuly85
    Options
    trying to lose weight without resistance training is ultimately not somethin you want to do... if you are in a caloric deficit and you arent training your body ur wasting time and most times your metabolism will slow down quicker and bodyfat levels will stay roughly the same with bodyweight getting lower.. doing just cardio will make you lose lbs but its not what you want for long term success.
    I'm new to this. What are good resistant training workouts?
  • racnsdd
    racnsdd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes! I did but I lost the most when I was training for a 5k. It just pushed me to work harder. I also get super bored on the treadmill though so I change up the incline a lot of I "race" myself. Try to knock a few seconds of my mile time or how far I go in a set time
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I lost about 35 lbs by running (mostly on the treadmill, but I added road workouts as well) and using a regular road bicycle on a stationary trainer so I could watch TV and workout at same time. DVDs bore me because I can't "multitask."
  • Kuly85
    Options
    I have a treadmill I walk/brisk pace 2-3 miles every day just 1 rest day for a hour speed is between 2-3 on incline. I just started my weightloss journey. I am patient to losing weight. I eat clean as well. I just wanted to know if anyone just did treadmill workouts and lost any weight. I try to do dvds but they bore me so much. i love the treadmill and i want to eventually crossover to running but i have to build my endurance level. i burn 5-582 calories a day on treadmill. i eat 12-1300 calories. please help.
    when I'm on the treadmill or outside I just zone out. I want to incorporate more than just treadmill. I work 12/he shifts on nights so treadmill been my bff.I appreciate everyone feedbacks.
  • Kuly85
    Options
    I lost about 35 lbs by running (mostly on the treadmill, but I added road workouts as well) and using a regular road bicycle on a stationary trainer so I could watch TV and workout at same time. DVDs bore me because I can't "multitask."
    that's how I am too. 35lbs is great congrats!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

I tried running for the longest time and couldnt so I started off walking on the treadmill for the first two weeks, then walked for a minute and jogged for a minute for 30-40 min. Now I walk for a minute, sprint for a minute for 40-60min. I am about 3 1/2 months in and I am down 36 pounds. Good luck!
  • Kuly85
    Options

I tried running for the longest time and couldnt so I started off walking on the treadmill for the first two weeks, then walked for a minute and jogged for a minute for 30-40 min. Now I walk for a minute, sprint for a minute for 40-60min. I am about 3 1/2 months in and I am down 36 pounds. Good luck!
    that is awesome congrats!!! So motivating hearing others success with treadmill workouts.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yep. Just keep increasing the incline and speed as tolerated. But, try to push yours;f a little each day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did about 15 years ago...got down to almost what I am now(within 5 lbs), I was 2 sizes bigger then I am now tho

But I stopped getting on the treadmill...gained it all plus extra back.
  • Kuly85
    Options
    Yep. Just keep increasing the incline and speed as tolerated. But, try to push yours;f a little each day.
    thank you
  • Kuly85
    Options
    I did about 15 years ago...got down to almost what I am now(within 5 lbs), I was 2 sizes bigger then I am now tho

But I stopped getting on the treadmill...gained it all plus extra back.
    awe man, do you know why the weight gain?