How do I fight through a mental collapse of will?

Options
OK, I've been on here for over 3 months now and have been doing a really great job. I've lost 40 pounds! However, I find that I seem to be collapsing in on all of my hard work. I'm binging on tootsie rolls and not really wanting to follow my calorie or exercise guidelines any more. I still want to lose at least 30 more pounds. How do I find the will power I started with and continue on this journey? I really don't want to backslide but I feel my resolve slipping. Help!

Replies

• yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Picture yourself where you want to be. You will be fine! You are going to make it! This is temporary. You can do this! Just know that the future you is much better than a tootsie roll right now!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You dig deep and you remember why you started doing this.

You examine what you're doing and watch for excuse-making.

When you want to backslide, think or journal or walk or do anything to get your mind off of it, but also question why you want to sabotage yourself...are you afraid of what will come with the weight loss? Are you restricting yourself so much that you can't sustain this as a lifelong way of eating?

And, when all else fails, you just do it. YOU are in control of your body, and your mind. :flowerforyou:
  • cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was like you for the past week or so.....you can do it! I have had to ask my husband to hide all the Halloween candy. I also realize that I can have a piece or two - just not twenty or thirty. You can do this!!! You have had great will power so far! You can do this!!! Another thing I found helpful was reading the success stories ( you are also a success story)

Today, I went and did strength training with my husband.....(he is in awesome shape). It has helped that he was there with me encouraging me.....is there someone you can go to the gym with or do your exercise with?? Mix it up. You can do this!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • lizzy755
    Options
    Look at pictures of yourself before you lost all this weight and remind yourself why you started in the first place. When you lose the next 30 think how great it'll feel to look back on them.

Maybe just go into maintenance for the time being?

Stay strong! :)
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    OK, I've been on here for over 3 months now and have been doing a really great job. I've lost 40 pounds! However, I find that I seem to be collapsing in on all of my hard work. I'm binging on tootsie rolls and not really wanting to follow my calorie or exercise guidelines any more. I still want to lose at least 30 more pounds. How do I find the will power I started with and continue on this journey? I really don't want to backslide but I feel my resolve slipping. Help!

I looked at your profile to see if you identified why you started this journey and what you wanted to accomplish and why.

Here is what you wrote, "# My 25th High School Reunion is in the summer of 2011.
    # My 2 kids and my dog who wants me to take her on more walks" Are these still important to you? Are you satisfied with what you've accomplished so far - do you still want to meet these goals? If you are happy with where you are right now, then just begin maintenance. If however, these goals are still important to you, then let them be your motivation. I saw you indicated that you still want to reduce your weight by 30 more lbs. If that is honestly true - then what do you NEED to do to accomplish that? We can all support you, provide encouragement, and offer suggestions, but the bottom line is that you have control over this journey. Only you can identify what you need and how to proceed from here. Are you tired? Do you need to take a break? If so, then do it. Giving yourself the "permission" to vary from your routine may help. I can only guess at the obstacles and the solutions - you have to figure those out for yourself to make this work.

Blessings as you continue to work towards your goal to a healthier and happier you.

Vickie
  • twilightteamedward
    Options
    41lbs WOW. Just remember back to when you first really noticed you were losing inches and how good you felt wearing some smaller clothes. We all slip, thats life. Just focus on small goals. This is not a race but a journey and you can do it or you wouldn't be minus 41lbs already, which is fantastic. Plan in some foods you really like, the day before, so you are not ruled by your stomach during the day. Log, log, log, even if you go over. Just believe in yourself! You CAN do it. All the best, XXXX Carol
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have a talk with myself quite often. Bottom line - if you want it bad enough you get on with the exercise and eating right. You have to constantly remind yourself that you REALLY want it and WHY you want it. Get rid of the tootsie rolls - and anything unhealthy. Find low cal and healthier alternatives. We lost the same amount - my weigh in is tomorrow and I have 20 to go (may take another 5-10 off depending on how I feel). If I can do it - so can you! Good luck!
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Every once in awhile everyone tends to backslide. Get right back up! That's the great thing about the Universe, it's about renewal! Every day you can start again. You have done such amazing work with your weight loss you owe it to yourself to make your goal. Just remember, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. :flowerforyou:
  • slansdown
    Options
    So I am new here. I struggled a lot in the beggining and I am doing better now. The only promise I made was to be honest with myself about food from now on and to do that by just logging in what I ate.

You said you binged on tootsie rolls. I looked it up. If you are eating mini tootsie rolls and you got them from a big box retail place and ate the whole bag, that is 240 mini tootsies. This I imagine is your worse case scenario. If this happened, you ate 5,600 calories. This would make you gain about a pound and a half. You can get back on course and the pound and a half will be but a bump in the road, or you can quit.

Don't quit. 40 pounds off is hard work. If it is now 40 instead of 41, so what?

You can obviously do this. Just dust yourself off and go on a little walk with your dog or take your kids somewhere fun and active.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Definitely look at before and after pics... All I have to say.. Stay strong we all need support MFP.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    40 pounds in 3 months is quite a bit, that's an average of over 3 pounds per week. Maybe you were so into it that you dove almost too deep too quickly. I started two weeks ago, and the first week I lost 4 pounds, the second week 3. I'm VERY into it...but I also am asking myself if I'm going too fast...and that if, once into it for a few months, I'll burn out, eat an entire pizza or something, and drop out of the whole thing. Maybe what you could think about is re-adjusting your expectations for the next 30 pounds. Go slower, add a few "goodies" into your day, aim for losing 1 or 1.5 pounds a week instead of twice that amount. You'll still get there, probably enjoy yourself a bit more, and possibly stay more motivated. Switch up your exercise routine, do something different...start a new hobby...shake it up a bit. Maybe that will help? I'm already trying to strategize for when I slow down on weight loss, or hit a plateau, or burn out a bit, something I'm sure will happen. You've done a great job so far, let yourself celebrate a bit, then develop a new strategy that keeps you motivated! Good luck!
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    3 months ago was peak summer. weather warm, sunny. sky blue and bright and now? dark early and cold. i think it has to do with your mindset and weather-induced depression not to mention halloween candy leftovers. you should just get rid of that junk right now before it winds up on your hips. get in touch with why you wanted this to begin with. and you've lost 41 lbs already so keep going. think about the advice you would give someone else and give it to yourself. good luck.
  • zackhanmom
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of support! I think it's nice to know that there are so many other people who deal with the same struggles. I do want this for myself and will simply take this as a speed bump..pick myself up and continue forward. Thanks again!!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    This past week has been hard on me too! Lacking motivation for just about anything, much less eating right and exercising! I finally gave myself permission to just chill last night, had a glass of wine, played couch potato, and went to bed early. Of course the down side is I have been up since 3:30 on a Sunday, done laundry, exercised, cleaned my room, done bills.. get the picture! sometimes a break is needed! New day! New situation! Keep on going you have accomplished a lot!
  • FreeRiderInNOVA
    FreeRiderInNOVA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Does this look familiar? Focus on the reasons below and get yourself back in line with them.

Why I Want To Get In Shape
    As I get older, the body starts to begin to complain about all the extra weight I'm carrying - especially my knees - they don't like me so much right now. I need to do this for myself and my health. I used to be athletic and I'd like to get that feeling back again.

My Inspirations
    •My 25th High School Reunion is in the summer of 2011.
    •My 2 kids and my dog who wants me to take her on more walks.
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    This past week has been hard on me too! Lacking motivation for just about anything, much less eating right and exercising! I finally gave myself permission to just chill last night, had a glass of wine, played couch potato, and went to bed early. Of course the down side is I have been up since 3:30 on a Sunday, done laundry, exercised, cleaned my room, done bills.. get the picture! sometimes a break is needed! New day! New situation! Keep on going you have accomplished a lot!
    i hear you. me too. upside is laundry's done, bed's made, leftover dishes done. fridge is and cupboards cleaned out. but now i have to go shopping. :(
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Perhaps the intensity of your first three months is not a level of intensity that your body can easily maintain? If this is the case, make every day sustainable. We are doing this every day for the rest of our lives so we need to be able to (and WANT to) repeat forever.

I used to work out WAY too hard and restrict my calories too much. The weight came off, but always came back on. Once I decided to be a little less intense, the weight came off steadily through easily maintainable changes.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne