Eating out

Options
This is my first week on here and this is all new to me. I have done weight watchers before, but it is a bit of an eye opener counting calories, sugar, fat, protein etc.

Tomorrow night I am going out for a pub meal. I have worked out my daily usage before my tea and have approx 960 cals left. Please could you give me with Ideas of meal choices to have, is steak and salad my best option?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Steak and salad is a good option, but there are lots of choices with almost 1000 calories left (although if you're drinking, that could limit things too). You could easily have chicken tenders or a pizza (depending on the kind and how big) or whatever. Look at the different options available, and try to get a good estimate for what the calories will be. Just don't forget the liquid calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Watch the salad... Tons of toppings and dressing can easily make them 1500 calories. So if you want salad, ask for dressing on the side. A small (6-8oz) steak or some grilled chicken with grilled veggies is a great bet though... and you can probably even eat some bread or whatnot with that. At 960 calories you could even get a burger in some places though, but it's hard to tell without nutrition info. Maybe a grilled chicken burger with veggies?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Steak is a really good choice and is pretty low calories, as long as it's not smothered in buttered mushrooms or something :smile: Otherwise burgers and fries can work too, as long as you don't get something too extravagant (and watch the portion size of the fries).
  • ford9876
    ford9876 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice it's much appreciated.
  • lisacarrana
    lisacarrana Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to find eating out really difficult, however now I find it slightly easier. If I know where I'm going I will look online at their menu and work out what I want in advance.

If I order a salad I always ask for the dressing on the side because most places put way too much dressing on and its the dressing which can be really bad.

I also don't eat out as much as I used to so now when I go out, I know I have eaten really well for weeks so I go for what I fancy within moderation of course and I do not always finish the whole plate, portion size for me is something I have learnt to control.

I went out to the pub this week and has a venison burger (no bun, I find I have to avoid as much wheat as possible), sweet potato
    fries (I only ate a few mind). It was a delicious meal and well within my calorie count.

Its the wine which bumps up the calories and sugar allowance. I have started drinking gin and tonics and put the wine to one side!!!!

Enjoy your meal out.