Heart rate and cardio intensity question

Options
On treadmill i always choose 12mph and i do it for 20 minutes. My heart rate is around 185-190 and it gets really hard to finish it but i always do. I hate long cardio sessions so i try to keep mine short and vigorous. Am i doing too much? The machine says i burn around 300 calories in 20 minutes. Sometimes I feel dizzy after I'm done but it never stopped me from finishing the rest of my workout with weights, squats... My friend tells me i should keep it at 7mph or something so I'm able to do more. but i really hate cardio. thoughts?
I take a lot of rest days though. On average I work out 3 times a week.
also many doctors have told me i have an athletic heart, it's a condition in which the human heart is enlarged, and the resting heart rate is lower than normal. i don't know if i should be worried. "talk to your doctor" is not an option as i am away from home.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    12mph is 5 minute miles .... almost the pace of Olympian women in the 5k.

Go out and run off the treadmill ... see what you really run when not holding on for dear life then base your indoor workouts on what your body is really capable of doing.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You can still call the doctor's office and ask to speak to his nurse and she should be able relay the question to him and get back to you with an answer.

and

you can go on forums such as mayo and Cleveland clinic and make a thread like this and get advice from a medical professional.

until you know for sure about your enlarged heart lower the speed. Dizziness shouldn't be happening. Take care of yourself. :smile:
  • indigoigloo
    Options
    i'd just worry that if you start feeling dizzy, one day you might faint while the treadmill is still running. treadmill rash isn't funny.

have you considered HIIT? less dizzying, but still not long sessions:

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/12/18/hiit-treadmill-workout/
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Oh no i made a mistake, it's not TREADMILL it's the ELLIPTICAL! I am not a fan of running.

I am sorry, English is not my first language :embarassed:

This makes things different i guess!?
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd try HIIT rather than a constant 20 minute sprint. I hate long stints of cardio too so as part of every workout I do 15 minutes on the elliptical where I go at a moderate pace for two minutes then sprint for one minute. It's a more efficient way of burning fat than steady cardio.