night shift

Options
Hello, I am 28 and just started. I would like to loose about 100lbs ultimatly.

I work night shift at a hospital as a clerk. Any other night shifters? I was wandering how you do it with the calories and such, do you start at midnight or when you go to bed?? any advice apriciated.

Replies

• dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Hospital night shifter here.
    My eating/lifting schedule today

2PM Wake Up
    Heavy 30-45 minute workout
    Breakfast -3PM Before Work
    Lunch- 6PM
    Quick Workout 8PM
    Dinner-10PM

I get off at 5AM and go straight home and to bed.
    Repeat

On my days off I do a 10AM to 6PM eating schedule with 1 hour+ workout at 11AM.
  • Agatha29
    Options
    Hey There,

I start counting calories at midnight since its a new day and stop counting calories at 11:59pm. I have breakfast on my way home at around 7am which consists of a spinach smoothie. I go to bed around 8 and wake up at 1pm and have lunch then and a snack at 3pm and dinnner around 530pm and high protein snacks after that. i also go to fitness boot camp every monday wednesday and friday.
  • vrase28
    vrase28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yea I work 12 hour shifts. I go to work at 7pm and get off at 730am was wandering how everyone else did it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I track midnight to midnight. Typically eat 1-2x in the 24 hr period. Once at work and after working out. Depending on how busy I am I will eat all of my calories in 1 sitting. I do this because going to bed on a full stomach affects my sleep if I don't wait at least 1hr after eating and I get sick if I don't wait at least 2 hrs after eating anything when I work out. I work out 3-5 x a week

Typical day for me
    10:30pm wake up go to work
    11pm-7am work. I also work weekends so if it's not busy I will get in a 10-20 min walk break
    3-6AM eat 1st breakfast
    7am get off work
    gym 8-11am time varies depending on what I am doing for that day.
    noon-2pm eat 2nd breakfast
    3pm-4pm sleep
  • zara1408
    Options
    I dont work night shifts but I'm a student studying for finals and im better at studying through the night so have pretty much been nocturnal the past week. As for logging in, I don't really start at midnight. I start the days worth of calories at 6am with breakfast. Any snacks I have past 12am, i log for the day before. Its a temporary thing for me so it's why im not too fussed about it. As long overall, your having within your calorie limit everyday, it wont really make a difference as to what time you start/finish logging your meals.
    Ive been having 'breakfast' at around 6/7am, sleep at around 11am, wake up at 6/7pm, and have 'lunch', then my 'dinner' at around 1/2am. I also snack in between those times but mostly on fruits/veg because I like to constantly eat while studying and cant fit in anything other than fruits/veg within my calorie limit. It may not be practical for many, but it floats my boat :)
  • Jaymeow11
    Options
    im a nightshifter too! im a nurse and i work 7pm-7am
    12 hours at least 4 days a week, (ill work everyday if i could)

Im struggling with eating at the right times.

I like working out right when i get off at 7am but sometimes i would have the engery when i get out and ill do it right before work at about 4:30

But i really struggle with it and im working on finding a rotuine
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    child care worker night shifter 1030pm-730am

12am eat
    3am eat
    8am eat
    830-12pm sleep
    1230-until finish workout
    130-2pm eat
    4pm sleep
    at work by 1030pm
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Night shift worker. 2200 to 0800.
    Midnight is my new day.
    Bed first thing in the morning, usually without breakfast. If I'm ravenous I will have some breakfast.
    Don't eat at work because I don't get hungry, pretty flexible though.
    Stick to my calorie allowance.
    Meal when I get up in the afternoon, meal in the evenng.
    Then a snack or two.
  • harderpa
    harderpa Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The name is trisha and I am a vet tech at an emergency clinic. I love my job and wish to lose 67more pounds. I hope to model again in the future.
  • b3thr33d
    Options
    I am a night shifter too (7pm-7am), I am trying to get back into the schedule I had before my baby. Whenever I wake up I start my counting, I think that is the best for me, I have a small meal or snack every 2 hours, that is how I dropped 45lbs before I had my son. I am hoping that the same applies now, but who knows. I would workout before I go to work to get my energy up. I sit at a desk all night and that is a new concept for me so I am trying to keep motivated and moving. I find that it is really different trying to keep a routine with a 2.5 year old, but I intend to make it happen this year. I am excited to see what unfolds in 2014. Good luck to you all, my fellow night walkers! :glasses:
  • vrase28
    vrase28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to work as a CNA, before I got pg with my second daughter. I was so sick when the job as a clerk came open and I could sit I jumped on it. Now I sit much of a 12 hour shift and mainly registar paitents for the ER. I am usually the only one in my department so it is hard to get a schedule down at work...I eat when we are not busy and if we are slow I eat because I am bored.....Very bad habbits I am looking to break...
  • shaybabie
    shaybabie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too, just had a baby. Since coming back to work, I have returned to the snacking to stay awake :-( I have to get back in the groove of things.
  • Siebes1
    Siebes1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work rotating days and nights at a manufacturing plant. My shifts are from 6-6. a typical night shift for me would be:

7am- bed time as soon as I get home
    1pm- Get up and workout. I usually have a protein smoothie before I hit the gym.
    3pm- Have a snack when I get back from the gym.
    6pm- I have supper at work.
    9pm- Usually have another snack
    12pm- Have "midight lunch"

I log all my food for the current day I wake up, even what I eat after midnight. The next day starts after ive slept. The thing that helped me out the most with meals and working nights was meal prepping. Makes life so much easier and leaves more time for sleep and exercise :smile:
  • smoothrun
    Options
    This is my first post as i just joined up yesterday and have the night off.

I work as a truck driver, start at 4,5pm finish 4,5am. Ive been doing nightshift for about 5 years and can tell you its important to remember your usual daily routine. Personally ive been lazy til a few weeks ago but i have always found it best to excercise when i get home, i make a light breakfast grab Ned (dog) and go for a fast walk,

Why,

1, if its cold it will be most likely all day but i dont have to drag myself outa bed just to excercise, just grab my coat
    2, if its hot, at least its alot cooler in the mornings, better for pets too
    3, a light breaky or even better if ive eaten well before hand, a walk will ensure me a good sleep
    4, less traffic, people etc
    5, more time to sleep, i only get up to get ready for work, feed Ned and im done
    6, when i go back to work after a sleep i remember ive already excercised today, makes me feel good

Thats my personal preference but if you have just started doing nights please read up about it, it can be dangerous for your health and others, (driver fatigue etc..)

Good luck
  • MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been on night shift for 2 years and in the last and a half have lost 25lbs but in the last 4 months I have gained it all back. I am still not in a position to workout but do to some health issues feel free to message me and ask. I really want to get back down to 185lbs and I will but it maybe a week or 2 before I can get back to it. I will start tracking food intake right now cause that is the one thing I can do.

feel free to friend me

Mel
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've worked nights for years. 12 hour shifts 6pm - 630am and 8 hour shifts 10pm - 630am. I log midnight to midnight. I've successfully lost 80 lbs while working nights and have been able to keep it off. Has been a daily struggle and reprogramming of years of bad habits, binge eating etc. but it's totally possible.
  • becca5634
    becca5634 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to track midnight to midnight but I track AWAKE to AWAKE! I work 11p to 8a but basically I start with breakfast as my wake up meal at 7 pm and then continue to track on that day until I go back to sleep at 9 or 10 am. This means I have to constantly back track in the app but I feel like it keeps me from cheating and saying... it's midnight now! I can eat everything!
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I have worked nights for years and currently work 6p-6a 7 on/7 off. I track MN to MN and it seems to work better for me. You have to find what works for you on your eating schedule. I break mine up to MN-0400, 0400-0800, Sleep, 1400-1800, 1800 to MN. It's all relative to you. I have lost over 80 pounds and it has been a journey - but you can do it!!
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm on nights (1830-0700) every other month. I'm still struggling to make the night shift logging work. I've lost 45 pounds total (lost 10 before I started MFP). I try to work out before work on my first night, on the way home my second shift. On work weekends, I usually get a Friday afternoon workout and then a Monday morning workout. There's about a 9 hour turnaround time for me in between shifts, but I only work 2 or 3 days in a row with 2 or 3 days off in between.