Been going well - until today

Options
So they say it takes 28 days to form a habit and up until today (day 20) I have been really good - watching what I eat, staying close or under my calorie goal and today - complete utter blow out. Nearly double my average calorie consumption and I'm still craving more!

Now I by no means need to loose weight. I was comfortable being 67kg - but managed to loose 3kg in the first fortnight (haven't weighed in this week) just by exercising more and watching what I ate.

I'm just wondering how everyone coped with the temptation and managed it when they felt the urge coming on

I'm just a bit disappointed in myself, even though I know I shouldn't be, but I may have just guilt tripped myself into being more careful when the urge to eat more (and unhealthier) happens again

Replies

• kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It won't derail you - log it, think about why it happened (which will hopefully help prevent it happening again) and move on to tomorrow! An occasional blowout really won't stop progress.

In terms of managing temptation, I find that if I cut certain foods out altogether, I end up craving them and eating a whiole block of chocolate. If I allow myself a couple of squares a few times a week, it solves it.
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't let it throw you off

Think about it like this

27 days vs. 1 day, which one will be more effective?

A lot of people screw up their diet for the day and then they just say "screw it, i've already cheated" and then they binge and binge and binge, then it becomes a big problem

You still have the choice to recover from it like nothings happened (and a cheat day every 7-10 days is not harmful in any way, can have some benefits i.e mental relief from diet and cravings)

Keep it up
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    this might be a stupid question, but if you don't need to lose weight and you are comfortable at your current weight, why are you eating at a calorie deficit that causes you to lose 3kg i.e. 6.6lbs in 2 weeks. I know some of it will have been water, but you'll still have had a significant deficit to lose more then 3lbs a week when you say you don't need to lose weight. Perhaps this overeating episode today was your body saying that it needs more food on a daily basis.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    Don't let it throw you off - just pick up again.

Personally I need the naughty food every now and then otherwise it isn't a lifestyle for me and I stop enjoying it. I save a few calories up over a few days which stops me feeling guilty.

For me, a small amount of chocolate after a few hours of wanting some is better than not having any, then the next day craving it so bad I eat a whole bar. I don't do this often as I normally get out of it. A good phrase I heard...

Junk food you've wanted for an hour VERSUS the body you've wanted for years. I have this saved on my phone screensaver!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    We've all been there! Just keep going.
  • baby_valiant
    baby_valiant Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    this might be a stupid question, but if you don't need to lose weight and you are comfortable at your current weight, why are you eating at a calorie deficit that causes you to lose 3kg i.e. 6.6lbs in 2 weeks. I know some of it will have been water, but you'll still have had a significant deficit to lose more then 3lbs a week when you say you don't need to lose weight. Perhaps this overeating episode today was your body saying that it needs more food on a daily basis.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I haven't changed my eating habits as I haven't been hungry (until yesterday) or felt the need to (and yes have spoken to my physician also)

I have uped my exercise regime - running and strength training - thus accounting for the weight lose. I'm somewhat a 'plain Jane' with my meals and don't often change what I have.
  • baby_valiant
    baby_valiant Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't let it throw you off - just pick up again.

Personally I need the naughty food every now and then otherwise it isn't a lifestyle for me and I stop enjoying it. I save a few calories up over a few days which stops me feeling guilty.

For me, a small amount of chocolate after a few hours of wanting some is better than not having any, then the next day craving it so bad I eat a whole bar. I don't do this often as I normally get out of it. A good phrase I heard...

Junk food you've wanted for an hour VERSUS the body you've wanted for years. I have this saved on my phone screensaver!

Love that quote
  • Zak_FH
    Zak_FH Posts: 3
    Options
    It actually takes much longer to form a habit...The 21 day thing is a myth...you can read more about that here:

http://newleafandcompany.com/how-long-does-it-take-to-form-a-new-habit/

Like everyone said 1 day won't make a difference. Keep at it! :)
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Don't let it throw you off

Think about it like this

27 days vs. 1 day, which one will be more effective?

A lot of people screw up their diet for the day and then they just say "screw it, i've already cheated" and then they binge and binge and binge, then it becomes a big problem

You still have the choice to recover from it like nothings happened (and a cheat day every 7-10 days is not harmful in any way, can have some benefits i.e mental relief from diet and cravings)

Keep it up

This is exactly what happened to me. I lost 21lbs, went on vacation and treated myself when I was there, came home and didn't get out of the "vacation" mode. I would eat something that wasn't really the best choice, then say, "Eh, whatever. I ate this already, so I might as well order that pizza for dinner too." It has taken me MONTHS to get out of that mindset. Over the course of 5-6 months, I gained back half of what I lost.

It is amazing how mental it all is.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    A lot of people let a day of binge throw them off - I have done it in the past where I have allowed myself a day of indulgence and then not gone back to my diet. My advice would be to log it, and get back into those healthy habits again.

You can do it! :)
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Agreed that if you don't need to lose weight why are you eating at a deficit? But to answer your post just pick yourself up and carry on from the very next meal/snack. It happened and you can't change it now. Try to incorporate the things you crave into your every day calories so you don't feel deprived or the need to binge. :smile:
  • zara1408
    Options
    You're not the only one that this happens to. Ive been controlling my intake for about three months now and I have had my fair share of days where I binge and then feel absolutely terrible about it. When I went home for Christmas (Im a student living out), I was surrounded by masses of unhealthy snacks and there was a day where I sorta went crazy on biscuits (gotta love them biscuits :P) and the reason why I did was probably because I completely cut out biscuits from my diet just because I know they're sort of a weak spot for me. But since then Ive bought the little snack pack biscuits and occasionally fit them into my diet. That's pretty much the best way to control cravings.
    Dont completely cut out something you enjoy, just moderate the amount and eat it occasionally. It helps because if you completely cut it out, when you do end up eating it, you binge, which is worse than having it occasionally in small quantities.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Today is my 725th day. Yesterday I was over my calorie goal by more than 1300. Do I care? Nope! Today is a new day.

I've heard it takes around 60 days to form a habit. Accept that there will be bad days. Try to fit a bit of what you fancy into your calories - this will help to stop the feeling that you are denying yourself something. Don't deny yourself anything. If you want chocolate, have some chocolate - just have a couple of pieces, not a whole 1kg bar!

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you do have a bad day, don't beat yourself up over it. Don't give yourself too big a deficit for your body to comfortably cope with. If you have less than 20lbs to lose, then don't go putting in that you want to lose 2lbs a week - a more reasonable goal is 1/2lb, maybe 1lb. Read up on all sides of the arguments and make up your own mind. Don't accept anything without investigating it yourself further from independent sources.

Above all else, don't give up. Remember that you are doing this for you. To make yourself happier, to make yourself fitter, to make yourself more awesome! You deserve to have the best and to be the best that you can be.

Good luck with your future goals :flowerforyou: