Hard time losing weight

Hey everyone.

I started working out and eating healthier around late October, early November. I tried a bunch of different things and I didn't lose a bit of weight. Recently, I went vegan and have lost about 4 pounds since Thanksgiving. I still feel like that's a lot less than what I should be losing. Any tips? Best exercises, diets, recipes? Thanks so much!

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    How much are you eating in calories? Diary isn't open. How much are you exercising? What do you mean you tried everything? What are your realistic expectations on losing weight?
  • Less carbs, more cardio is working for me :-)
  • I eat about 1000-1200 calories daily and do cardio for 30 minutes each morning and 30 minutes of weight training each morning together. I also attend Barry's Bootcamp twice a week which is a 800-1000 calorie burn itself.

By trying everything I meant about 3 different diets and working out and different types of workouts. I even had a personal trainer.

I'm at 158 and I'd like to be at 135-140 again. I'd like to lose 1-2 pounds per week.
  • amjfox
    amjfox Posts: 17 Member
    I'm a bit stuck too! Have upped my protein, reduced carbs to when I'm training, I'm doing more weights and resistance work mixed with cardio and in a year I've lost whole 1.5 kg... Frustrating!
  • I'm a bit stuck too! Have upped my protein, reduced carbs to when I'm training, I'm doing more weights and resistance work mixed with cardio and in a year I've lost whole 1.5 kg... Frustrating!

Annoying, isn't it?!
  • If you're not loosing weight then it's because your fat is TURNING INTO muscle - hence not loosing scale weight!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Okay.
    1. You need to do some research on your TDEE.
    2. You actually might need to eat more.
    3. Your expectations are not realistic in my humble opinion. Shoot for .5 to a 1 lb a week at the most.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    If you're not loosing weight then it's because your fat is TURNING INTO muscle - hence not loosing scale weight!

I can't tell, but I sincerely hope that you are being sarcastic. Fat does not "turn into" anything. Least of all muscle.

Try this - it has worked for me:

*weigh/measure/log every bite of food you eat - every day
    *eat at a healthy calorie deficit from your TDEE ( google TDEE calculator if you don't know your TDEE)
    *find something you enjoy and do it consistently
    *learn moderation (this is the hard one) and try not to eliminate foods that you enjoy. Portion control is the key.
    *have an immense amount of patience
    *don't quit

Good luck!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    log everything in your food diet and be honest (every sugar and milk in your coffee, every stolen chip) I had a hard time losing weight until I realised by logging extremely honestly that I was eating about 300 cals - 500cals more a day than I thought, it was a shock. I'd underestimated the weight of things until I started weighing everything, and not properly realised how many cals I was drinking whether milky tea with a teaspoon of sugar or a couple of vodka diet cokes at a bar.

Also unless you have a chest strap heart rate monitor be careful about eating all exercise cals back because any other method whether it's the gym machine or MFP's estimates may be telling you a generous amount when in reality you've only burned 70% that figure and end up just eating at TDEE.

If you open your diary I expect some of the professional bods on here will be able to give more personalised advice though :)

As for recipes Butternut Squash wedges are my fave potato wedge replacement, cut up your BNS into chunky wedges with 1 cal olive oil spray season with salt, pepper, paprika and a hint of cayenne (if you want a bit of heat), shove in the oven for 20-30mins.

Approx 45cals per 100g of wedges and 1 of your 5 a day :D

(compared to 78cals per 100g healthy potato wedges prepared the same way)
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    If you're not loosing weight then it's because your fat is TURNING INTO muscle - hence not loosing scale weight!

I can't tell, but I sincerely hope that you are being sarcastic. Fat does not "turn into" anything. Least of all muscle.

*eat at a healthy calorie deficit from your TDEE ( google TDEE calculator if you don't know your TDEE)
    *learn moderation (this is the hard one) and try not to eliminate foods that you enjoy. Portion control is the key.
    *don't quit

Good luck!

Although I agree with the general advice you've given, the comment about fat not turning into anything is completely wrong!

All matter turns into other things, you can't destroy it ONLY turn it into something else. http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/lost-weight1.htm

So yes burning fat during exercise does effectively build muscle albeit in a round about way.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member

Fat is fat and muscle is muscle. Unless you are taking a class at Hogwarts, one can't magically become the other.

1000-1200 calories per day is way too low. I can't imagine staying at that level long term. For me, if I am not eating enough protein, I don't lose very well.

I also don't lose a ton of scale weight when I am working out hard, but I will lose body fat. How are your clothes fitting? Did you take measurements and/or before photos? There can be a major difference there and not much on the scale if you are exercising more intensely then before.
  • beachlover317

*don't quit

Good luck!

Although I agree with the general advice you've given, the comment about fat not turning into anything is completely wrong!

All matter turns into other things, you can't destroy it ONLY turn it into something else. http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/lost-weight1.htm

So yes burning fat during exercise does effectively build muscle albeit in a round about way.

Vague and confusing is always going to be vague and confusing. In the context of this conversation, telling someone their fat is turning into muscle to explain weight gain is a little far fetched.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Just seen your reply if you're really eating at 1000-1200 that's way too low especially if you're exercising, I am not on any special kind of diet (I keep my eye on sat fat and cals that's it) and I lose on much higher cals.

I weigh 146.5 at the mo I lose eating 1400-1500 (try to be healthy but I don't cut out any food group) sedentary, I'll be back into my usual exercise routine of 30mins a day next week and I will prob eat at 1600-1700 I lose on average approx 3/4 pound a week (lost 2 pounds this week but that's just xmas pounds coming off quickly and I don't expect to keep up at that pace)

Don't punish yourself to lose weight by being ultra restrictive it's too hard and can end up being counterproductive. Good luck and hope you find what works for you.
  • amjfox
    I do understand that I will be building my muscle and muscle weights more than fat.. I've had that lecture about a zillion times, I know I shouldn't look at the scales and look at inches etc...( which last month wasn't very much) but it still gets you down. Particularly when you're classed as borderline obese on the BMI scale... Yes I know BMI doesn't take body shape/ bone density into account.... But again it's depressing! I was about the same weight last year eating more sugar and working out less...and my body fat % isn't dropping all of that quickly.

Moan over... thanks for the TDEE advice I'll look into it. :-)
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member

*don't quit

Good luck!

Vague and confusing is always going to be vague and confusing. Fat can not become muscle. You can actually LOSE fat and not build any muscle.

What's vague or confusing?

Also, of course you can lose fat without building muscle. You have to work them to build them. Fat can be burned and 'used' in other ways other than fuelling muscle use/growth as the article explains. But, you quoted that fat could not be turned into anything, and the opposite is true, fat HAS TO BE turned into something else.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Are you weighing your food? If you're not, you're probably eating more than you think.

/thread
  • amjfox
    Very... and you're a lot lighter than me!
  • amjfox
    I don't weigh my food, no, but surely there can't be much difference in a chicken breast on here in calories, I normally add a bit extra on to the data as I fill this in anyway! I eat three meals a day all of which have protein in them, and carbs are included if I've trained. I try and have three protein snacks and a protein shake. I don't really eat bread, I have the odd glass of wine every couple of weeks... my TDEE is about 1738, on average I'm apparently on 1579. Can that be it?
  • beachlover317

*don't quit

Good luck!

Vague and confusing is always going to be vague and confusing. Fat can not become muscle. You can actually LOSE fat and not build any muscle.

What's vague or confusing?

Also, of course you can lose fat without building muscle. You have to work them to build them. Fat can be burned and 'used' in other ways other than fuelling muscle use/growth as the article explains. But, you quoted that fat could not be turned into anything, and the opposite is true, fat HAS TO BE turned into something else.

I edited my statement while you were posting. I edited to add that "in the context of this conversation" telling people that their fat is turning into muscle to explain their weight gain is confusing. After doing this for 3 months, it's unlikely that is the case.
  • ReginaM49
    ReginaM49 Posts: 65 Member
    You're not eating enough. Its a hard concept to get. I know I had a hard time believing it. But its true. Follow the mfp calculations.