Working Moms: Fitting Workouts in Schedule

Options
Last month I went back to work full-time after staying home with my son. Now I'm working a 9-5:30 job, doing one of the daycare runs, and trying to get exercise in. I live on the East Coast where I can't go for a walk at lunch or anytime, really, during the winter. In the good weather months, I'm all about walking with and without DS.

I used to rise early (5) to workout before my family woke up but I was also able to go to bed pretty early. Now, I don't get home until after 6, have dinner, do chores, make tomorrow's meals, etc, then watch 30 Rock (catching up on Netflix) with my DH, and by the time I go to bed it's late and it feels a lot more difficult to get up. I have limited time with my family so I don't want to be on the treadmill downstairs alone and miss out on evening family time. It's also very hard for me to wind down if I workout too close to bedtime.

So here are my questions:
WHERE in your busy day do you fit in your workouts?
WHEN do you do them?
HOW do you making working out a priority?

Please SHARE all tips & tricks!

Replies

• abojeri
    abojeri Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On the east coast as well. Work full time w 2 busy kids. I get up and do it in the am. It's my "me" time. I just do it. I've been doing it since jan 1 of 2013. One year! It gets easier to get up. Yes I go to bed very shortly after kids but for now it's working. I have 45 mins after kids go to bed w hubby then I'm off to bed. We make weekends count! I stay up w him longer and use them as my rest days. Make when ever work for you. Like eating and showering it's that important. I exercise in my home not at the gym.
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Im a mum too with a 8.30 - 5.30 job and I work 6 miles from home... and I dont drive!

In good weather/good light I walk home - 6 miles for me is around a 500 calorie -burn, so by the time i am home thats my workout done - its 7pm by this time though. On the plus side my kids are older now and get them selves home from school - however they do generate more washing and require more 'ferrying' around at weekends.

I have lots of animals to attend to - so I tend to make the dog walks and the chicken cleaning and guinea pig cleaning a work out. I come home and I prepare dinner, often more than 2 meals (fussy teenagers) clean up, do the washing, feed the animals - walk 2 dogs ..then walk the other 2 dogs . Hubby is home by 10pm when we often go for a night walk.

I have fitness DVD's I could do - though gone off of these - or even simply walking on the spot at work - 10 mins is 30 calories - boring - but if i have a bad week or no chance to exercise later then i do it!

Good luck - make anything you do a work out - making the next days meals whilst dancing around the kitchen - shuffle your steps to the fridge - walk on the spot during the commercial break on netflix - have a fun 10 mins 'dancing' with the kids to MTV

Things will get easier when the days get longer xxx
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah mornings probably could work for you since you don't have to be at work till 9am. I am at work by 730 am and get home around 5pm, have a 5 year old, and a 3 year old and work out with a dvd at home right after I get home with them. I'm now using P90x3 which is only a half hour, but its a big calorie burn and builds muscle without taking hours...before that I used T25 which is only 25 minutes but burns a good amount on top of building muscle. And before both of those I did Insanity. I cook most of my stuff on weekends so my meal times don't take too long on weekdays but they are healthy and ready within about 20 minutes. I also walk at work on my breaks to supplement my exercise at home. I suppose it's easier for me since I live in FL, but maybe if your office is big you could walk in the building instead of outside.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I work pretty much the same hours and have a similar schedule. At around 7.30pm that is when my day "ends" and i put on the TV and pick up the weights! I lift while I watch TV with the other half and he usually lifts with me x
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little I would get up early in the morning and go work out. You have a treadmill in the basement? Go down there for 30 minutes and bring the kids. Play some kind of game, have toys for them or pop in a short video. My boys used to have football practice for 2 hours every night and I walked an hour with a friend of mine around the track (4 miles). While you're at work, do yoga or other exercise (sit-ups, push-ups, etc.). You can squeeze it in, just don't make excuses.
  • cfilipi74
    cfilipi74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota, so I know what you mean about winter and cold. That's one thing I hate about not being able to get out and do something. I LOVE the outdoors, so I can't wait til it gets nicer out to enjoy it.

I have a pretty flexible job and my kids are old enough now that they can fend for themselves pretty much... I have a 20 year old and 12 year old. My daughter does come to the gym with me a couple times a week.

Like I said, my job is pretty flexible, so I get to work at 5 am so I'm able to get to the gym right away after work around 2:30 (once I get home and change). I hate big crowds at the gym, so that's why I love getting to the gym at the time I do. You can do certain exercises while watching your show on Netflix. I have done that a few times whenever I didn't make it to the gym. Good luck!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    I also am a mom and work full time. I am up at 6 and refuse to get up earlier as i know sleep is important! I don't get home either till 6pm and make supper, do homework with my son, get him bathed and ready for bed. Once he's sleeping i clean up make lunches for the next day and then get my workout on! I only do 30 min workouts as that is all the time i have for, so i have done workouts like clx, t25 and maybe going to try the new p90x3. once i finish i relax for 15 min or so and then get ready for bed and in bed by 10pm! That is my predictable day every day!!!!! sucks but that is the only way i can get any exercise in.. 30 min is better then nothing!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have a 4-1/2 year old and 2-1/2 year old twins. I work fulltime and am gone from 6:45am until 6:30pm.

I workout after the kids go to bed (8:00-8:15pm) After that, me and my husband will either sit on opposite ends of the couch while playing on our phones...or we'll watch tv or something. lol I go to bed around 11pm. I also do this on weekends or go for a quick run while my husband is hanging out with the rugrats.

I found that in the beginning, I was exhausted. Working out made it easier to get up in the morning, I have soooo much more energy now.

I made it a priority when my kids grabbed my stomach and squished it, and laughed. I want to keep up with them. I want to look better. I want to feel better. I don't like the bloated face and feeling. I want my kids to think exercise and healthy foods and snacks are important. I've taken my 4 year old on 2 color runs (he loves them).
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Learn to crock pot meals, or at least crock pot the meat portion of your meals. Set aside a few hours on a Saturday or sunday to do a "cook up" for the week. You can do it toegtehr as a family. Portion meals into containers and refrige what you'll eat that week and freeze meal size portions for later.

Get yourself some home equiptment: yoga mat for sit ups and push ups, a balance ball for similar exercises, a kettle bell or medicine ball. Then you can fit in a 15 minute workout even on days you can't get in a full workout.

Put your children to bed by 8 or at the latest 9 - or at least in their room. It's a perfect time for reading before bed, and it teaches valuable skills as well as gives you time with your SO or time to workout - or both.
  • FrancineM62
    FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is a constant challenge for me too. I'm anxious to hear what others suggest. My kids are older but they are all at home and still need me! I tend to go in spurts with my workouts depending on how I feel and how much time I have. I try to build in as much activity into my day as I can. I always take the steps instead of the elevator. If I have time, I'll take the long way to various buildings where I work, etc. Every little bit helps.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Have you considered asking your husband to help with some of the chores?

Also, it's hard to give advise for this when you don't say how old your child(ren) is/are.

If your kid is in school, he needs chores too! You only say that you "stayed home with him."

One of the smallest things that was helpful to me was making a weekly meal plan. This way I knew what was for dinner, how long it would take to make, and even if my son (14) could get it started. I probably should start doing that again.

I don't like to workout while watching TV since my husband and I do that together.

Using programs like ChaLean Extreme and Brazil Butt Lift was also helpful because I knew how long to expect the workout to be. After doing them a few times I was even able to shorten them by Fast Forwarding through the parts I knew were 'chatty' or the break to lay down your equipment.

ps: my husband and I work in the same building, so we leave home at 5:30-6a and return home between the same times. He has been really good lately about helping in the kitchen either with prep or cooking entirely.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My husband drinks his protein shake for lunch and then takes the stairs in his bldg down to 1 st floor and then back to 12 th. work out during tv, hire a maid once a month for the deep clean. I did and it is completely worth it. Declutter your house. Easy to clean if you own very little
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning now because I find trying to do it after my daughter goes to bed, doesn't happen. I'm also a single full time working mom so it's hard but you gotta do it.
  • godot77
    godot77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm a SAHM of 2, plus 2 step kids who live here part-time, ages 1-12. I workout every day when my 20 month old sleeps. He has a 90 minute nap from 12:30-2. I've learned to eat a good breakfast (but not too big) and then I feel I have enough energy at noon to get my butt down to the exercise room (in our house). I have a video monitor that I bring with me. Doing workout videos right now ("Slim in 6"). It's not easy because I am pretty lazy (disabling laziness?!) and I try not to do more than I have to after years of pain in my feet and back from being overweight. I'm not really heavy enough to act like that, but it is how I feel. I was light before my pregnancies and heavy after both of them. I've been doing workouts almost every day for 6 months and haven't lost much weight, and I attribute that to not dieting (eating 1400-1800 per day, burning off 2-400 calories), and not MOVING. So I have ordered myself a fitbit, which is a little wristwatch steps counter. I am going to FORCE myself to be more active. I have a cleaner once per week, but one thing I can do is do more deep-cleaning stuff (high dusting, windows), as the service doesn't regularly get those areas.

I wish there was someone around here who I could walk with! Maine anyone?!
  • godot77
    godot77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I work out in the morning now because I find trying to do it after my daughter goes to bed, doesn't happen. I'm also a single full time working mom so it's hard but you gotta do it.

good for you! I was a single mom for 8 years, and I used to push my kid in a jogging stroller for a 4 mile jog/walk nearly every day, 3-4 miles. When she was 5, she got to be bored with that, so I had to find another plan, and I was lucky to be able to do a quick jog after I dropped her off at school. Keep up the good work!
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am also on the east coast, have a 2.5 year old and a 15 month old. I also wake up at 5am normally and pick up the girls from daycare and get home around 5:30-6pm depending on traffic. My husband doesn't get home until 7-7:30 so I am on my own with the girls.
    I'm with you, I would find it hard to get up any earlier than I do now for work, so I do exercise in the evenings. Sometimes, it falls through because of the girls. What I do is bake most of our dinners. I just marinate the meat or slap it in with spices and veggies and let it bake. This gives me at least a half an hour or 45 mins to do some kind of work out. It does fall through though, my youngest can be a clingy bug and I have to stop and change diapers, etc. Its one of the reasons I can't do exercise videos right now. So I use my exercise bike while the dinner is cooking. I get the kids settled with some toys or a kid tv show, maybe some crayons and coloring books. Right now they are into blocks so I just toss those around and watch them build towers while I exercise. If its weights day, I do that. Then I stretch, finish up dinner, eat, and dive into the shower when hubby gets home, bath the kids and then its quiet time/bed time for everyone. My husband and I will sometimes sit and watch tv for a bit but mostly we just chat about our day before falling asleep in the dark with the lights off.

Sometimes, the kids are just too hectic for my routine exercise. I still try to keep it moving though. Throw on some music and get everyone dancing or doing some little kid games. Or just run back and forth through the house, throw a ball around with them. It has the added bonus of them being calmer for dinner and more relaxed for bed because they get all their sillies out.
  • speshell4
    Options
    Looks like I am not alone. I am a working mom ( 8:30-5) with three boys three and under. I have an hour commute every morning and Afternoon. ATL traffic SUCKS!!!! I force my self to get up at 5am for my workouts 3x a week. October 2013, I made small changes at the office that will add up. I witched to a standing desk. I am able to do squats, lunges, ect. while I wait for reports to run or files to load.... I find that since I began standing I do not get as sleepy during the day. and it is easier for me to take that walk around the office every few hours. I use the kids as weights if you will and I toss them around, hold them and squat, play airplane, and give lots of piggy back rides. .also in the warm months, the park is my best friend. I push my kids bed time back 30 mins or so and we play. I don't sit on the bench and watch I am out with them. I have boys they like to move and run. :) My favorite non-workout work out is jogging next to my three year old as he rides his bike. I have been prego for so long back to back to back, I have weight to lose and I plan on doing it and showing my kids that being active is more than a gym, it is playing and having fun.

Oh and we LOVE dance parties on those too cold to go out days.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I try to get my cardio done in the mornings. I do all kinds of things at work throughout the day. I do tricep dips on my desk, leg extensions as I sit, while I fill up my big water bottle I do squats in front of the cooler. Sometimes I even skip to the bathroom. As funny as it sounds and probably looks, it's what I do to get it in.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I work 8-5 m-f and a half day one Satuday each month. My fiance just recently moved in, before that it was me and my son. No back-up adult to watch him. I have lost over 115 pounds, and I have to say, you are going to have to loose a little sleep, or shorten time with family. It's not easy, and you have to find YOUR OWN balance. This is a couple things I have done:

Get up early and workout before work, 30-40 mins of bodyweight training in the livingroom before my son gets up, do that 3-4xa week and walk at lunchtime. This worked for me in the summer. I really struggle getting up before the sun.

I run, and runs were hard to get in, I had to run the 2 days a week my son was at his dad's and then at least 1 weekend day while my SO was home.

Now I get to the gym Tuesdays and Saturdays, and when I can on Thursday. My son stays home with my SO and I prepare dinner for them before I leave. On Thursday's when my SO can't watch my son I go to my mom's house and my sno watches a movie while I spend 45mins on the treadmill. I run at the gym 20-40 mins before classes when I go, except on Saturdays, on Saturday I either work, spin, or have a foot race.

Yea, I lose time with my family, but I also get precious time alone. I have scaled back, for a while I was at they gym 5 days a week, and my SO and son were upset we didn't see eachother enough. It's about finding the balance YOU can work with, that YOU and YOUR FAMILY think works. And I hope you do.

BTW, anyone who wants to friend me may feel free.
  • reality_girl
    reality_girl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    WHERE in your busy day do you fit in your workouts? wherever I can
    WHEN do you do them? whenever I can
    HOW do you making working out a priority?I just do it