Getting Healthy in 2014

Options
Hello. My name is Kari, I just turned 40 on Jan. 4th. I recently moved to the Columbia, Missouri and have gradually gained about 30 pounds. Although I needed to loose a few pounds before I made the move I'm now in crisis mode. I have an upcoming vacation in May.

Since I'm new to the area I have been reluctant to join a gym and put-myself-out-there! The cold snowy temperatures don't help, I've notice when I get home from work I just want to snuggle on the couch and think about going to the gym but never have the momentum to actually do it.

I hope this site and new found friends can motivate me and I can return the favor to them and motivate them as well through their weight loss journey. Please feel free to add me and hopefully we can kick this fat in the butt and it never returns!

Replies

• KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kari! This is a great site to help you achieve your weight loss goals. Making friends on here will really help as well to keep you accountable and motivated. I enjoy supporting MFP friends. I have sent you a friend request. Anyone feel free to add me!
  • triathlete1fp
    triathlete1fp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kari! I'm from St. Louis and just joined the site during Christmas when I got a new fitbit. Gyms can be intimidating for sure. I've been doing a lifting program for a few months and do almost all of my workouts at home (in my warm, dry basement). It's not hard to get set up, and it's really hard to find an excuse not to do your workout. I also started tracking my diet here and learned a lot. I hope you get the support you need to reach your goals. Feel free to add me!
  • lalala12308
    lalala12308 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Kg, I saw your post in the discussion board and read your profile. I can totally understand how you feel about going to the gym, being in a new place, cooking for just yourself. I had a problem with the gym for the longest time because I was embarrassed about how I looked compared to so many people there that are in great shape. But after going a few times I realized 2 things. 1- No one is really paying attention to me or what I'm doing because they are busy working on themselves and their own personal goals. And 2- Most of those people I see that intimidate me...the really fit ones... had to start off somewhere, they didn't just wake up that way.
    I know it can be scary, and hard to be motivated, but once you get yourself into a routine of it, it will become something you just "do."
    I'm by no means an expert. I recently got back into MFP and have about 45 pounds to lose to get myself to a healthy ideal weight. SO while I can't offer you any "expert" advice...I will offer you my support. :)
  • cfilipi74
    cfilipi74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi Kari - I live just two states above you in MN. I will also be 40 this year (in March). I have been with MFP for over a year now and LOVE it. Feel free to add me as a friend.