Over 60 and want to lose 50+ pounds

Options
bmp1967
bmp1967 Posts: 12 Member
Hi, I'm over 60 and want to improve my health and appearance by losing 50+ pounds for good. I lost over 60 lbs nearly 3 years ago and then a number of events happened which may have resulted in a breakdown of my self-assurance. I would like to hear from both men and women over 60 who are working to lose 50+ pounds, have always struggled with their weight, have a moderately active lifestyle and would like to share their progress.

Replies

• hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I am close to 60 and I am restarting the MFP again. I too had events that caused me to gain weight that I had lost. But it is a new year and new me! It is not easy the second, third or forth time around but it will be worth it.
  • ggtojuju
    ggtojuju Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    HI I just read your post and thought I'd reply. I too am in my 60's and have lost 50 pounds in 500+ days. Still have 20 pounds to go. So, if I can be of any help, please add me as a friend.
  • bmp1967
    Options
    Thanks for your post and looking forward to learning how we each conquer the weight.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm 72 and still have 20 pounds to lose. Let's keep each other on track. At my highest I weighed 356 (1977), reached 142 in 1978, and have pretty much maintained between that and 170. Too big a gap plus 142 is too much for my small 5'3" frame.
  • bmp1967
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your post. I am interested in your progress and methods. I don't know how to add you as a friend. Your help is appreciated. Thanks
  • oglalagirl724
    oglalagirl724 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am soon to be 61.5 and am looking to lose about 90 pounds.
    I just need to regain my self-control. and my dignity. I don't want to be fat the rest of my life. I already missed out on to much.
  • oglalagirl724
    oglalagirl724 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Click on the down arrow by their name. then click on view profile. then click on add as friend.
  • bmp1967
    Options
    Hi, my motto has become, "You can do it if you put your mind to it". Hang in there and just take it 1 day at a time. I'm convinced that you will be successful if you focus on today.
    Hang in there. :smile:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 61. I lost about 50 pounds, although I've gained back about 5 on purpose through weight lifting. I've been on maintenance since May 2012 but am happy to help anyone if I can.
  • mniakm
    mniakm Posts: 12
    Options
    You can do it. But my best advice is "slow and steady wins the race". Be diligent at eating right and exercising. There are no tricks, shortcuts, or magic formulas. Simply eat healthy, nutritious meals, exercise within reason (consult your doctor first) and then understand that patience goes a long way. You may not see big differences in the scale right away, but eventually the good habits will catch up with you and you will see some positive results. Good luck and remember, lifestyle changes are FAR BETTER than any diet.
  • bmp1967
    Options
    Thank you very much for your words of encouragement, they really hit home. Sorry to say that today, I fell off the program when my wife and I went to lunch with friends and I ate nearly 700 calories of my daily 1330 calories and didn't exercise! I feel like a failure but, will start again tomorrow.
    Thank you so much for your good words.
    BMP1967
  • BlessedTimesThree
    Options
    Hello.. I've been searching for women over 60 and I can't find any so I came across this site where everyone is posting and I decided to reply to a few of you.. I am 66 and looking to lose 50 pounds , I just started this site yesterday and I'm hoping to meet other women who are looking to lose the same amount a few pounds over is ok also.. so please feel free to request me...
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Hello.. I've been searching for women over 60 and I can't find any so I came across this site where everyone is posting and I decided to reply to a few of you.. I am 66 and looking to lose 50 pounds , I just started this site yesterday and I'm hoping to meet other women who are looking to lose the same amount a few pounds over is ok also.. so please feel free to request me...

Feel free to add me. I'm 63. I do appreciate people who have open diaries, btw.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We have a group '60 years and older' that you (all) would be welcome to join if you're looking for a peergroup :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3538-60-years-old-and-over

-marilyn
    (one of the trouble making members)
  • debiero
    debiero Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and haven't exercised in many, many years. I need to lose 50+ and need advice on where to start.

Debbie
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and haven't exercised in many, many years. I need to lose 50+ and need advice on where to start.

Debbie

Debbie, do you plan to follow MFP's guide of eating at a deficit according to your weight loss goals? If not I suggest you go to 'MY HOME" and click on the "Goals" link on the top of the page. Just follow the steps there and MFP will suggest a daily calorie amount based on your entries.

If you have a goal, then the first step, IMO and IME, is to track everything you eat, regardless if you are ready to start cutting back on calories the very first day. This will at least give you an idea of what you are actually eating, calorie-wise. You need a food scale in order to be accurate and you should pay attention when logging so you are sure you select the right entry from the database. There is a good post on How to Log in the forum posts. You can "search" for it using the link on this page.

You are welcome to look at my diary for some ideas of meals. Go through several weeks worth of entries if you want because I have lots of variety, depending on whether I eat at home or away, if I exercise (not too much yet as its been so darn cold) and if I want something in particular so make room for it in my day.

Kathy
  • debiero
    debiero Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I'm check those areas out.

Debbie
  • pdunwrkn
    pdunwrkn Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm Paula, from CA & just signed up today for this program. I'm not even sure how to log my eating yet, but I'm ready to learn. I'm 67 & have been dieting all my life. I'm thinking maybe MFP will help guide me to a better, healthier, me. Any suggestions are welcome.
  • jjjbkkkk
    jjjbkkkk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 66.5 and need to lose over 50 lbs. I feel it is impossible and would love to join a group to motivate me. I'd love to see what others are eating and doing for exercise.
  • jjjbkkkk
    jjjbkkkk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If anyone would like to add me as a friend, that would be great. I just started and so far don't have any friend to connect to. Hopefully, we can traverse the path together.....................;-)