Advice on re-starting execise routine

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
Hello there!

So I stopped going to the gym a couple months ago because I hurt my back at my job. It took about 2.5 weeks to heal, but then I just became lazy and didn't go. I used the cold weather as an excuse.

So tomorrow morning I'm going to go back to the gym, and I'm not really sure how to.....start things up.

When I was going everyday, I'd usually do strength training. I'm basically at square one in terms of conditioning right now.

Can someone come up with a workout routine to ease me back into the mix? It'd be much appreciated. I feel like I'd just wallow around with no real purpose otherwise (I've done that before, bleh what a waste of gym time).

Replies

• RhineDHP
    Options
    anyone?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Can you start with a yoga class? That would be easier on your back and let you judge how it does. Then swimming is always awesome, of course.

Take it very easy if you jump back into lifting right as you get back. It might be totally fine, of course, but ease into it in case anything wants to act up at a level you don't expect! Good luck.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a professional (personal trainer, physio, etc) so they can take your situation in to account and give you advice on what you can do now without causing further problems. As for starting from the beginning, you would be surprised how easy your muscles are to re condition after a while off.
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can also restart your strength training with very light weights

You could go about it by using your old routines, but using minimalist weight, what you should work on is your form and don't move up the weight until you are good at it

Use videos on youtube to make sure you have the right form

Follow these two rules for any weight lifting exercise
    1) Scapular retraction (i.e, shoulders pulled back (so you have a straight back) and shoulders pulled down, so your traps are not shrugged up
    2) Wrists straight at all times, wrist must be in line with forearm and elbow

Those two will keep you safe a good majority of upper body injuries

Also, you could search up on mobility exercises
    - Mobility exercises are great for overall health in terms of joints and muscles, so if you still have any nagging back pains, these are the #1 thing you should look at, otherwise go to a Physio, they will do exactly the same, only you pay them lol
    - Look up any body part and "mobility" on youtube

*EDIT*
    Also 2.5 weeks off training isn't too crazy, you actually wouldn't lose THAT much strength, you might be set back a week or two in progress that's all. Depending on how badly you've been injured, but if you recovered fully in 2.5 weeks I don't think it's all that much of a bother

Yeah but, if you are really scared of injuring it through weights even with light weight, start off with machines if you have access to them, they are the best for rehab because they take out the stability aspect in the movement so you are much safer and have less muscles / movements to account for when lifting
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Exactly how bad did you hurt your back? If it's nothing serious, you can do any exercise. Just start off slow of course.

Last year I hurt my back and couldn't do anything for 3 months. But when I healed up, I went right back to squatting and deadlifting. Lightweight of course. Now I'm stronger than ever.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    So I stopped going to the gym a couple months ago because I hurt my back at my job. It took about 2.5 weeks to heal, but then I just became lazy and didn't go. I used the cold weather as an excuse.
    So tomorrow morning I'm going to go back to the gym, and I'm not really sure how to.....start things up.
    When I was going everyday, I'd usually do strength training. I'm basically at square one in terms of conditioning right now.
    Can someone come up with a workout routine to ease me back into the mix? It'd be much appreciated. I feel like I'd just wallow around with no real purpose otherwise (I've done that before, bleh what a waste of gym time).

I think I would start out slowly at first. Remember, the muscles haven't been working for half-a-month. Suggest something that involves stretching (which you should do before exercising, anyhow).
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Just to be sure, have you verified that your back is okay to go back to weight training?

If so, what are your goals and do you have access to a fully equipped gym? You mentioned that you had kind of played around with weights before, I'm assuming that means that you are basically a beginner when it comes to lifting?
  • RhineDHP
    Options
    Hmm, perhaps I should clarify. I hurt my back probably about 4 months ago. 3 months and 1.5 weeks ago my back healed. But then I got lazy and never went back to the gym.

And its true, even though I lifted heavy for awhile all those months ago, I'd still consider myself a beginner. I have a gym membership, and the gym has all the machines and free weights and treadmills/stairs/"swishy foot-leg thingies"(no idea what those are called, haha) I could ever possibly want to work with.

My ultimate goal is to be toned. I honestly don't care if I continue to weigh 131 pounds at my height of 5'1 so long as it turns into 131 pounds of mostly muscle. I'm still working on my eating habits, some habits die real hard. Its so easy to just eat 3 bowls of instant noodle picante flavor (once again, lazy) -- but like I said, I'm working on it.

I am prone to back injury and wrist tendonitis due to the physicality of my job -- the majority of this comes from having to lift heavy and generally squirmy dogs, or to hold something in place....like squirmy dogs/cats/ferrets, or to haul dog/cat food everywhere, etc.....honestly my head screams LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS but man, trying to do that when a dog is fighting you tooth and nail....yeah just doesn't happen, haha.

So hmm, I guess I can be more specific. Since I have no back problems but currently have wrist tendonitis, can some of you give me an example of your typical leg day? I can start there.

Like, what is your warmup routine, what machines do you use, what sets/reps, or what heavy lifting moves do you do for leg day?
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you can do good form squats with the bar, go ahead and start off with light weight on that

Do a proper warmup prior to lifting for your back and legs
    - Warmup means warmup the joints / muscles not warming up your body (some people will use a treadmill to warmup, that is not sufficient enough)

If you've used a foam roller before, just roll up and down your mid-upper back (avoid lower spine) and roll over all sides of your legs, just for 5 minutes in total

If you don't know what I'm talking about you can warm up with something fairly simple

2) Hamstring stretch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwpEdxZ4H4)
    3) Bodyweight squats (15 reps, on the last 5 reps, hold the bottom position for longer and stretch out your hips)

Here's a routine you can do to ease your way back into training for your leg day

- Whichever you're comfortable with - Barbell / Smith machine / dumbbell squats
    - The first exercise of your routine should be the hardest / heaviest, but make sure you don't over do it on your first few sessions

2) Leg Press - 3 sets of 12 reps
    - You can use both legs or single leg - single leg ensures you're training both legs equally

3) Dumbbell lunges: 3 sets of 12 reps
    - Each leg is 12 reps

4) Step ups: 3 sets of 15 reps
    - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqApCGd5Ss
    - Add weight when necessary

5) Machine hamstring curls: 3 sets of 12

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Extra tips for training: The point to training is that you want to ensure progression every session
    You can progress in a number of ways
    - Number of reps you can do with the same weight
    - Adding more weight to the exercise
    - Decreasing rest time but doing the same weight
    - Doing each exercise slower (to create more tension on muscles)

You can add weight or reps when you are comfortable with the current weight that you are able to perform all sets and reps efficiently. Be sure not to just continually add weight when you cannot do the previous weight and also that form is always right no matter how heavy you go

For when you are healthy and confident in yourself to perform heavy exercises:
    - Just as a rule of thumb (still regarding safety): If there is no struggle at all by the time you get the last reps of your set, you should probably increase the weight
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want some advice on wrist tendonitis
    - Look up voodoo floss bands
    - They can relieve alot of the pain from tendonitis in different joints if you do it correctly
    - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkfxnNMK1fQ

Be careful with that back and the wrist!
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much strength you have lost, but after a long ankle rehab, I benefited a lot by starting a compound strength training routine with body weight only at first. It let me get the form back into muscle memory and gave my body time to readjust. When I could get through 3 sets of 20 with perfect form, I slowly started adding weight again.

It didn't take long to get back to the weights, but I consider the time I spent working without them well spent because it let me work on form and activating muscles correctly.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer is a great idea, but can be a bit pricey. If you don't/can't pay for that I would start with walking on the treadmill or using an elliptical. My gym has something called the "line" which is a lineup of 10 or so Nautilus machines, the staff sets up the machines for you and you can go one to the next in fairly rapid procession. That would be a good place to start on weight training.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You said that you did lift heavy before? Did you follow a particular program?

From what you have said, I think that a great starting point for you would be something like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or AllPro's beginner routine. There are a few great books out too....The New Rules of Lifting for Women as well as my personal favorite, Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. Any of these programs and the corresponding information/literature you will find on them would be a great place to start.

I think that a couple of key things for you will be to ensure you do a good warm up. It doesn't have to be long, but really get the blood flowing. Start of with super light weight. These beginner programs are designed to progress quickly, so in no time you will increase your numbers. Also make sure to follow up your workout with some good flexibility work.....stretch everything out.

Since you aren't concerned with necessarily losing anymore weight, you would probably be fine to eat at maintenance, still ensuring adequate protein of course. And if you want to do a bit of cardio because you enjoy it, or for heart health, then go for it!