Outing myself: Time to get honest

Options
I'm outing myself as somebody who lost a bunch of weight....and put a big chunk of it back on. Didn't know where else to post this.

This morning I was doing my normal early routine thing: swimming laps for 45 minutes at the local pool. It is during this lap swimming that I go into a 'zone' mentally and deal with the issues on my mind. Today I realized I haven't been honest with myself for well over a year and I've put back on 2/3rds of the weight I lost a couple years ago. I gave thought to creating a whole new identity and starting over.

I'm living proof that one can do over an hour a day of excercise and still gain weight. If you consume more than you burn off you can put weight on. Yes, I'm in decent cardio shape, but while doing the lap swimming and eliptical I'm just coasting. I have fallen into that rut of doing comfortable cruise-control kind of work-outs. And when you eat more than you burn off weight will be added. Age and some injury issues prevent me from doing bust-a-gut type excercising, but I can control the amount of food I put in my mouth and swallow. This is not rocket science.

I'm opting not to create a new identity as that would be a cop out. Who do I think I'm kidding.

So here I go again. I'm going to continue swimming and doing the eliptical faithfully. And I'm going to be honest with myself and be mindful of every mouthful of food I consume. Calories count and it's a numbers game. I have to re-wire myself and not mindlessly consume dumb calories.

I am not going to give up.

Thank you MFP for the means to do this.

Replies

• Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Nice job on recognizing exactly where you are and what's going on!
    :flowerforyou:
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Welcome home , Its good that you know exactly what you have to do ! You know it can be done :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're certainly not alone!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1163907-anybody-lost-a-lot-of-weight-then-gained-it-all-back

You can do this! That you're already exercising is awesome!
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You know what to do :smile: I am in the same boat :ohwell: We just have to keep on keeping on!
  • j_ringsaker
    j_ringsaker Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya, Sarge.

And screw that jumping out of a plane BS!
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. It is very easy to kid yourself, so congratulations on not doing that.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that... more than once. It's easy to log your wokrout and get those calories even though you know in your heart you didn't put as much into as it says... I've found I have to weigh at least once a month to keep myself honest. I like to hide from things if I think they are going badly, that makes me face it. Amazingly enough, once I face it, and am forced to deal with it, I feel much better. Such is life. When we learn things about ourselve we can work to improve them. I do better with weekly weigh ins bcs then I'm not as afraid to see the results. If you need another pal feel free to friend me...
  • tjfrisque
    tjfrisque Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    honesty is awesome and brave! Thanks for sharing. I too lost weight and then gained it back plus an extra 10. Oh, well. I have to keep trying. Good Luck. You can friend me if you like :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same situation. I lost 35lbs three years ago here, and gained 25 back. I never left MFP, but for the time between the loss and now I was logging half-heartedly at best. Now I've recommitted and I will lose the weight again.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes! Good on you! Most of us, I assume, created our original weight problems from our own delusional behaviors. You recognized and dealt with those. It's great to see you watching and catching yourself in a new delusion and resolving to fix it.
  • whosfat1
    whosfat1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you. We all need to stay honest with ourselves and keep focused on our goals. You can do it! Keep logging daily.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Way to be honest. I get where you are. It happens, I have been there acouple of times myself. Most noteably after I retired from the miltary. Like you I kept moving but did not take note of the dietary aspect. Learned alot since then. Good luck and if I can help in any way, let me know.
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's an ongoing battle. Welcome back. :)
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and Happy New Year. We can do this together, MFP is a wonderful place!
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Honesty is the best policy. If it helps at all to point out, we can't precisely measure how many calories we're burning when we exercise and machines generally, egregiously over-estimate calories burned.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Right there with you! Travel and change in routine (excuses only - I didn't have to let that get in my way) have left me in a similar spot. Starting fresh with a change in my fitness focus and getting back to the healthier eating. I didn't consider changing my account, but I have held off on updating my weight in the profile. Did that yesterday as a way of acknowledging that I've let things slip farther than they should have.

Good on you to get back on the self accountability.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Damn those homing pounds. I'd create a new identity and go into the witness protection program if I thought they couldn't find me.

Best of luck on continuing your journey. You did it before and you can do it again!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Welcome back on track. If you're not honest with yourself then you can never change.

I went through the same thing before I found MFP. Your post made me realize that yesterday I hit the weight I was before I gained everything plus 36 pounds back. But now I'm here and making a permanent change.

Congratulations and good luck to you.
  • sergeant771
    Options
    Thank you very, very much for your support and encouragements.

This thread makes me realize we all have a shared experience. We are certainly a very diverse lot but share this common struggle.