Florida Runners

Options
Hey all! I have been on MFP since August. And I have lost about 11 pounds so far. It's been slow going and I had not found the exercise I was willing to commit to until now. I recently started the C25K program and I am loving everything about it, except the shin splints.

I want to surround myself with people who have done what I am trying to do, or are in the process of doing it now. I am looking for new friends in the Florida area (or beyond) that are also doing the C25K program or ones that have already graduated.

Friend me if you want a virtual running buddy!

Replies

• sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Hey! I'm in Jax. Where are you?

Running is great - if you have shin splints, you might just need new shoes! I recommend going to a running store (The one I frequent is 1st Place Sports) and have them fit you and see what they say. :)

PS This cool weather is GREAT isn't it?!
  • MelissaBethAnn
    MelissaBethAnn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi ... I'm actually in Florida and doing the c25k too lol ... I go to the gym to do it but its still being done slowly!!!
  • SabrinaM85
    Options
    I am down in Melbourne. I was fitted for some Nike running shoes over summer, but I was not running like I am trying to do now. I think I may go get re-fitted again after payday. But shin splints are something I have always battled with since I played soccer in high school.

And yes, this weather is GREAT!!!! :bigsmile:
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm in Florida, doing the c25k program too! I'm in the St. Pete/Tampa area. I just got fitted at Feet First for my first 'real' pair of running shoes yesterday! I'm gonna send you a friend request now, I'd love to be virtual (or real life...not sure how far Melbourne is) running buddies!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! I'm up the road in Rockledge. I did the C25K program, ending up at 30 minutes straight of jogging, but I run so slowly that that's only about 2.5 miles for me, not the full 5K (3.1 miles). Oh, well, I'm working on it! Meanwhile, I've been having some knee problems, so I've been taking it easy on the running and doing more low-impact cardio. I run on a treadmill at the gym because I think the surface is better for my knee than concrete.

Actually, I hate running, but I wanted a new challenge a few months ago and decided to see if I could do C25K. I still hate running! I guess I'm not a very good advertisement for running! But it is good exercise and really burns calories, so I'm going to try to give it some more time and see if I come around.

I think I read recently that there's a 5K Turkey Trot race down by BCC on Thanksgiving morning. Might be a good way to burn some cals do make up for all the food you'll eat that afternoon! Good luck with your running!