Today I ran outside for an hour in 9 degree weather

Options
Yes that's right your eyes do not deceive you. What you have read is correct. Over the past few days we had a big snowstorm that hit us for 2 days and it would not stop snowing for 2 days straight. I'm only about 45 minutes away from New York City. But do you think I am going to let a 9 degree cold weather stop me from layering up and doing what I have to do to lose weight? Oh no way at all.

If you think this is bad you should have seen me two weeks ago when it was pouring and freezing rain outside and the temperature was 12 degrees. I got soaked even in wearing my layers but it was worth it and you know what? It felt good! I find that whenever the weather is at it's worst around here I get the most motivation because when people on the road look at me like I'm crazy or like I should not be doing it this reminds me that I have every reason to be out there working for my goals.

On the good side I went shopping for jeans yesterday and discovered that back in Summer when my mom and sister came up from Florida for a visit I had gone from a size 32 jeans to a size 36 and I was embarrassed and became really depressed about it but yesterday when I went shopping I no longer could buy the size 36 because they were too big! Ha ha I went down to size 34 jeans now. I am one step closer to obtaining my goals and I am not stopping here.

I hope you all had a great 2014 New Years and I hope and wish much success and motivation to you in your weight loss goals and hopefully someone out there will have been inspired by my story even if it is just a small success story compared to others on here. Cheers :)

Replies

• Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!! I'm in NH, and was pleased with my own recent outings (hike/snowshoe). It's such a pleasure to see someone else getting outside instead of ditching the workout.

Happy New Year, and best wishes for continued success!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It is -47C with the wind (-52.6F) where I live right ..no way I'd even leave the house!! I'll trade temperatures with you!

Great job :flowerforyou:
  • ColoradoCountryGal
    Options
    It is -47C with the wind (-52.6F) where I live right ..no way I'd even leave the house!! I'll trade temperatures with you!

Great job :flowerforyou:

I live in Colorado and will keep my -20 max haha
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I went running the other day for 6 miles and 71 minutes in 8 degree-12 degree weather and it was awesome at the end. Thought I was going to freeze at the beginning but i eventually warmed up and was glad I did it!
  • johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind responses and to those of you saying the weather is too cold yes it was freezing. I would love to go to Florida where my parents and sister live. They have 80 degree weather all year long minus in the summer the killer heat for summertime sometimes gets above 100 degrees at times. It is just that warm there.

But up here by the New York area yea winters are brutal and terrible. But I still stuck through it and am glad that I did. Just glad to have made it through all the mess of the storm and glad to be able to get out there and work out. It always feels good no matter how cold it gets out. But great to hear your replies :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I enjoy going out in the cold NY weather. You can always add layers in the cold. In the heat there are only so many layers you can take off without getting arrested. :laugh: My problem is finding a safe place to walk. We have no cleared trails nor sidewalks and the roads can be dangerous.
  • johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Lol good one and I agree here it can be dangerous to find a place to jog since so many cars around here act like they own the road some people even have the nerve to honk at me while I am jogging hey its not my fault not all sidewalks are as cleaned up as they should be but I always use precaution and keep myself well layered always.
  • Lemmon827
    Lemmon827 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Probably a silly question

I warm up after awhile but what about getting cold because of sweat? I run, get hot, end up freezing when I get too tired to continue or start going back home. Any ideas? I would like to run in during the winter and too poor for a gym membership.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options

I warm up after awhile but what about getting cold because of sweat? I run, get hot, end up freezing when I get too tired to continue or start going back home. Any ideas? I would like to run in during the winter and too poor for a gym membership.

I live where it is really cold too! We do go running in the winter, but draw the line at -40C. The best way to stay warm is to dress in layers. Then you can start peeling off as you warm up. And always make sure that you go against the wind first. That way you have the coldest part of your run on the way out.
  • Lemmon827
    Options

I live where it is really cold too! We do go running in the winter, but draw the line at -40C. The best way to stay warm is to dress in layers. Then you can start peeling off as you warm up. And always make sure that you go against the wind first. That way you have the coldest part of your run on the way out.

Thanks I never thought of starting against the wind that might help. I guess the only way to do it is layer and peel off. Wish it were spring already!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

GREAT suggestions. Another cold-weather note: make sure you're not wearing a waterproof outer layer. Or make sure it has pit vents or unzip it. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the nice wicking action of your other layers. Ask me how I know... *sheepish grin*
  • Lemmon827
    Options

GREAT suggestions. Another cold-weather note: make sure you're not wearing a waterproof outer layer. Or make sure it has pit vents or unzip it. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the nice wicking action of your other layers. Ask me how I know... *sheepish grin*

Great point! As I am also dealing with rain today. Such crappy weather. I'd take snow over rain.