I do not lose weight anymore! Help!?

Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    you're a dude. you should be eating more than that. you're probably messing with your metabolism

^ This
  • pinky6767
    Options
    I wanna say, congratulations on starting to eat healthy ! your doing great ! try no to worry, the body will fluctuate on you a bit !! keep eating healthy, get lots of sleep, drink tons of water, and keep moving as much as you can in the day. Go for walks or take the stairs whenever you can and i bet in a week you'll see your scale slowly dropping again !! good luck, don't give up !! feel free to add me if you'd like
  • vdolmstead
    vdolmstead Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was on 1600 calories a day (I'm 6'4" and was at 310) for over a year with no weight loss! It was obnoxious. I blamed it on forced inactivity due to a couple or orthopedic surgeries and an arthritic hip. Got the hop replaced and that allowed more activity with is ESSENTIAL to breaking a set point and getting below a weight plateau. But I didn't really make progress until I discovered Dr. Joel Fuhrman and "Eat to Live." Dr. Joel preaches the ANDI** gospel and since I became a believer I've shed 40 pounds in about 5 months. Make friends with broccoli, bok choi and all types of fiber. Continue to avoid processed foods and junk and get your oils from nuts and seeds. I'm still doing 1600 calories per day and set a 10,000 step a day target that I use Fitbit to help me track. I hope you can benefit from some of this. Keep on keeping on.

**Aggregate Nutrient Density Index.

Fuhrman, Dr. Joel (2013-05-07). Nutritarian Handbook & ANDI Food Scoring Guide (Kindle Locations 336-337). Gift Of Health Press. Kindle Edition.
  • jwalters0616
    jwalters0616 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started getting healthy. There are many reasons why your weight loss has stalled, the number one reason is a happy reason. When you eat a lot of food and junk, it gets backed up in your intestines as waste. The day you start a healthy diet, it is all still in there and will eventually come out. As you went three weeks eating healthy, you weren't losing just fat, you were dropping waste at a quick pace without replacing it in excessive quantities. This will eventually balance out, and you hit the "Wall" you are at now. In reality, you are now working on fat, which is much harder to lose, than excess waste from an unhealthy diet. Hope this helps you and keep it up man, you will get this done!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]50397229.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Your initial weight loss was easy because it was mostly water. If you are living at a calorie deficit (burning more than you are consuming) then you will lose weight--the laws of thermodynamics demand it--period. The people in the concentration camps lost weight even though their metabolisms "shut down". Your metabolism will not shut down on 1300. Your weight loss graph will be jagged as your water levels fluctuate--others have mentioned this already. You will have plateaus as your body adjusts. What will prevent weight loss is inaccurate record keeping. Weigh your food (as others have suggested) and log every damn morsel that goes down your gullet. It is so easy to cheat, sometimes you don't even know it yourself. Above all, patience--this is not a sprint.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started getting healthy. There are many reasons why your weight loss has stalled, the number one reason is a happy reason. When you eat a lot of food and junk, it gets backed up in your intestines as waste. The day you start a healthy diet, it is all still in there and will eventually come out. As you went three weeks eating healthy, you weren't losing just fat, you were dropping waste at a quick pace without replacing it in excessive quantities. This will eventually balance out, and you hit the "Wall" you are at now. In reality, you are now working on fat, which is much harder to lose, than excess waste from an unhealthy diet. Hope this helps you and keep it up man, you will get this done!

Great advice and info. I've learned over the last year that it's not a race!! Don't stress about the #.... try adding a more intense workout and when you do, add a few more calories. I'm 5'11" and losing around 2lbs/week on a 1600/day with limited exercise. You WILL hit walls. It's just part of the journey. Take your time and don't stress about it anymore!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was 183 Ib and I started low calorie diet 3 weeks ago.
    Simply, I exclude every junk food, fast-food, sweets, etc... from my daily diet and started too cook my own food and eat lots of salads and proteins and good carbs (rice).

in average, I consume about 1300 calorie per day and I do not feel hungry at all.
    I loose 9 Ib in 3 weeks. However, for strange reason I stop loosing and in last three days I gained 1 Ib!
    I do not change anything in my diet and it is same as three weeks ago.

What should I do?
    Is this normal? any suggestion?
    please help me.

First you have to look at trends over a month, not three days. Second, eating 1300 calories for a dude will lead to a lot of muscle lost. So you will be skinny and flabby. Third, LCD over time and increase loss in muscle mass will lead to a slower metabolic rate.

Based on your stats, your goal should be closer to 1800 (if you are sedentary) and macro's around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Additionally, do NOT worry about eating clean. YOu can still eat unhealthier foods if you need. Essentially, calories is more important than were it's coming from. If you exercise, you will need to add more calories. So if you exercise 3-4 hours, add another 200 per day, if it's 5-6 hours, then another 400-500 per day. As a reference point, I am 187 lbs, 5'11, 31 years old, desk job and exercise 5-6 hours a week and lose weight at 2400 calories day. I frequently eat Klondike bars, protein bars, chipotle, etc... There is NO food that is unhealthy for you. It's only bad when it creates a surplus of calories.

^^ All you need to know right there!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    of course you can. you just have to actually take some time to research what calorie dense/healthy foods there are that you would like. I have trouble getting enough calories so I tend to go for the ''good fats'' stuff like hummus or nuts to bulk up on those a bit. I also usually keep a few protein bars on hand so if I'm really low by the end of the day I can have one of those (the kind with minimal sugar...I would rather not pick up diabetes along the way)

Who knew you picked up diabetes from eating a protein bar.
    MFP saves the day again.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Great advice and info. I've learned over the last year that it's not a race!! Don't stress about the #.... try adding a more intense workout and when you do, add a few more calories. I'm 5'11" and losing around 2lbs/week on a 1600/day with limited exercise. You WILL hit walls. It's just part of the journey. Take your time and don't stress about it anymore!

While you are obese or morbidly obese, 2 lbs per week is fine, but it's not good for more lean individuals. Realistically, you should be aiming for the below:

If you are too aggressive with your weight loss, you will lose more muscle which means, it will take a lot longer to hit your ideal body image. I can't tell you how many people come on this forum or diet for two years only to need a bulk/cut phase or two.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • aydin131
    Options
    Okay
    many thanks to all of you guys providing me your experience...
    I am a bit confused right now
    some of you advise me to remain on 1300 calorie diet and some of you suggest sth around 1600!

It is good to mentioned that
    right now I am 175 Ib and my goal is 160 Ib

Also, I used to go to the gym and I have around 10 Ib more muscle than a normal guy.
    but, I don't exercise at all right now

So, How much calorie is good for me?
    and I have another question, how much is the max amount of food to eat in 1 meal !? right now, I try to don't go over 400 calorie.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

MFP saves the day again.

A lot of them have quite a bit of sugar in them. like upwards of 30 grams....if I had all that at once and then also bothered to eat anything else in the day, my sugars would be through the roof. Unfortunately because I tend to have higher blood sugar but am also trying to make my body convince some nice doctors that I'm NOT going to get diabetes so they'll let me donate a kidney, I have to be uber careful about how much I have even beyond cutting added sugar. Even fruit is no longer my friend. :(
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Okay
    many thanks to all of you guys providing me your experience...
    I am a bit confused right now
    some of you advise me to remain on 1300 calorie diet and some of you suggest sth around 1600!

It is good to mentioned that
    right now I am 175 Ib and my goal is 160 Ib

Also, I used to go to the gym and I have around 10 Ib more muscle than a normal guy.
    but, I don't exercise at all right now

So, How much calorie is good for me?
    and I have another question, how much is the max amount of food to eat in 1 meal !? right now, I try to don't go over 400 calorie.

I would look at my previous post on the first page as it's broken out for you.
  • psuLemon
    Options

MFP saves the day again.

A lot of them have quite a bit of sugar in them. like upwards of 30 grams....if I had all that at once and then also bothered to eat anything else in the day, my sugars would be through the roof. Unfortunately because I tend to have higher blood sugar but am also trying to make my body convince some nice doctors that I'm NOT going to get diabetes so they'll let me donate a kidney, I have to be uber careful about how much I have even beyond cutting added sugar. Even fruit is no longer my friend. :(

But there is no correlation between sugar and diabetes, unless a medical condition is the reason you have high blood sugar. But for the rest of us, sugar isnt' an issue.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am 5.75
    but, I really cannot eat more than 1300 on healthy diet.
    I don't know why !

What a load of bull-ploppers! I eat a little over 1500 calories a day and I eat low-carb! If I can do it, you can eat WAY MORE than what you're eating now. Don't be afraid of fat, which can help bulk your calories up and is needed for a body to function normally.
  • aydin131
    Options
    You ARE loosing weight if you eat the 1300 calories a day. Sometimes due to water weight fluctuating you can have as much as a 6 pound shift in weight and actually not have lost tissue. So just keep doing what you are doing. I help people loose weight as a job and I have seen people stay at the same weight on a scale for 3 weeks and then BOOM, the water sheds and they drop 6 pounds overnight. So Just keep doing what you are doing. You ARE losing weight, I repeat you are LOSING. Just let your body do its thing. Keep with the 1300 calories and you are loosing.

interesting!
    today morning. I was 172.6 Ib!!
    I lost again :D

Do you have any idea about my questions in my previous post?
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    I am 5.75
    but, I really cannot eat more than 1300 on healthy diet.
    I don't know why !

What a load of bull-ploppers! I eat a little over 1500 calories a day and I eat low-carb! If I can do it, you can eat WAY MORE than what you're eating now. Don't be afraid of fat, which can help bulk your calories up and is needed for a body to function normally.

preach.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options

MFP saves the day again.

But there is no correlation between sugar and diabetes, unless a medical condition is the reason you have high blood sugar. But for the rest of us, sugar isnt' an issue.

True story. For myself, my high fasting blood sugar levels indicate that I have reduced glucose tolerance...due to the nature of this site and the fact that there's probably a good number of users who are obese and in particular happen to carry a lot of weight around the middle, there's probably a lot more people here who have insulin resistance than are even aware of it, unfortunately.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    of course you can. you just have to actually take some time to research what calorie dense/healthy foods there are that you would like. I have trouble getting enough calories so I tend to go for the ''good fats'' stuff like hummus or nuts to bulk up on those a bit. I also usually keep a few protein bars on hand so if I'm really low by the end of the day I can have one of those (the kind with minimal sugar...I would rather not pick up diabetes along the way)

MFP saves the day again.
    :laugh: