Unhappiness

Options
Hi Everyone,

Within the last two weeks I have been able to pull clothes from my Wardrobe from around six years ago and they have been fitting fabulously and even been loose.

On Friday I put on a pants that I bought last year and you can really see the difference in the fit.

My problem, however, has to do with my weight.

I started MFP in May was going well until I got sick in June and then stopped until August 17.

From August 17 to October 17 I was hitting the gym 3-5 days per week doing weight training and cardio. Between October 17 and November 5 was watching what I ate.

During this time I was using my digital scale which was reading my weight at between 192 and 194 consistently.

Long story short my mom dropped the digital scale last week and I stepped on our analog scale and lo and behold it says 210.

Now I know every one says not to trust the scales but this means failure to me.

It means that all of the hardwork I have putting in has been to no avail.

Replies

• gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I tend to focus on the scale as well, however, there are other measures of success too. How do you feel? I feel so much better than I did just a few months ago. I haven't dropped weight as quickly as I had hoped, but yesterday I went shopping. I rarely buy stuff for myself. But I bought 2 blouses (one size smaller) and that's all I could think about the rest of the day. I was so excited. So tell me, how do you feel? How do your clothes fit? My guess is that you are way too hard on yourself. Try to change that into, I am great and I deserve only the best so I am going to handle myself with care. Sometimes you end up weighing more because you've built muscle, but that's a good thing. Muscle burns more calories. What about inches? Have you measured yourself recently. The size of my waist can fluctuate 2 inches, from morning to night... so dont stress. I wish you lots of luck. You CAN do this. Be proud of what you've accomplished!
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have a high quality scale there.. use that one... But remember, you have been working out, and your clothes are fitting better so it coud be you have firmed up!

Don't get discouraged.. It sounds like you are kickin' butt! Just relax, re-group and move on.. OK?
  • kbaradio
    kbaradio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration, but you have to remember that your clothes from 6 years ago are fitting AND loose to boot! If you've been at the gym as much as you say you have, you have built up some fairly substantial muscle and that is always heavier than fat; not saying that you are a bulky body builder :happy:

Since muscle weighs more than fat, you are bound to see a heavier number but that doesn't mean it is fat. PLUS, the "old fashioned" scales can get out of calibration after some time so it may be WAY wrong.

Don't let the number get you down. If your clothes are looser and you're feeling more energized, then your hard work is paying off! :flowerforyou:
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Please don't let it get to you. Every scale is different; I don't care what anyone says. You have lost weight and that is wonderful! You know it because of your clothes and you should be very proud of yourself!!! I don't think in terms of weight - I think in terms of health. Are you healthier? Do you feel better about yourself? Don't let the weight control you; let your healthiness control you. That should be your end goal always. Good luck on your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Jump on another scale that is more trustworthy. My analogue scale is wrong by at least 10 pounds.... and used to be wrong in the other direction...

Besides that, with any scale you choose to use.... direction is more important than the number...

In this case your only failure is in putting faith in a scale that may not deserve your faith.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You are making progress as shown by how your clothes fit you. Do you physically feel better? Is your stamina building? Are you stronger? Those are more important measures than your scale.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    The work you have been doing is to no avail? WRONG!!!

Your clothes are fitting better? You can See the difference? So the different set of scales say a different #? Don't sweat it! My Scales say one number, the work scales another and the Doctors scale still another. I know mine are right. I got a 20 lb bag of rice awhile back. Put it on the scale and it read 20.5. I have been losing an average of half a pound a week for a while but my clothes fit way different. I took my measurements and they have changed drastically.
  • flynabster
    Options
    I believe the scale LIES....sometimes......I guess we, including me, need to focus less on the scale and more on the positive things we are doing, like excercise and watching what we eat.....I know, easier said than done....Don't give up....keep moving forward and know that no matter what the scale says that what your are doing is a good thing....
  • Shanellew
    Shanellew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! It really is helping.

Yes, I have noticed an increase in energy and my clothes fitting looser and I am very happy with this aspect.
    With regards to the scale, I only used this to gauge how many more pounds that I have to lose before I reach my goal weight.
    With this, it means that I will have to reassess everything that I have been doing and what I have been eating because according to Jillian Michaels the science doesn't lie. If you eat less and exercise more you should see some weight loss and 4 pounds in 6 months then something is definitely wrong because in May both my digital scale and analog were saying 214.

My measurements have gone down over time.
    Before After
    Waist 40 35
    Hips 48 44
    Chest 44 40
    Thighs 30 28
    Calves 18 17
    Biceps 15.5 15
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I know your frustration about the scale.I was so obsessed about the scale.Would wt everytime I was near one.I know weigh myself 1x a month at the drs using the same scale.I know when I do sneak a peak on a different scale,it reads different.I was in a panic one day,told the dr and he told me,do I feel like I gained,do the clothes feel different.etc.
    As long as I`m eating right and ex.I will be loosing wt.Just reassess what you`re doing and if you`re doing all you can,the wt will come off.keep up on your journey,it`s a 1 day at a time thing and a lifetime committment.
    Keep up the good work!!
    jane