Training for a half marathon....need some advice

Options
Seriously considering doing a half marathon this summer (June). I have recently started running 6kms in about 45 mins, but as my weight decreases I hope that the time decreases and the distance increases.

What I was wondering, is how long approx does a half marathon take?

What is the best way to TRAIN for a half marathon??

The one I am looking at is the WOmen's Half Marathon in Niagara Falls Canada (45 mins from me) and it is a run/walk. It is almost completely flat they say.

Anyone a little larger that has ever completed a half marathon? Just needing some encouragement (I am 225 right now, but hope to the Good Lord that I am in the one hundred's by January.)

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A half would take aprox 2:30 -3:00 hours. Maybe a little more, maybe little less. Just depends on your speed. Based on your 6k time, Mcmillan (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/) predicts your finish in 2:52. If you are still new to running, I would recommend Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk method. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/

If you have any questions, feel free to dm me.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Most of the running magazines and online resources have training plans online with 12 week, 18 week, and longer plans for beginners. The ones I've seen start with several 5km + runs the first week and build from there. From 6km now to over 21km in just over five months is an ambitious goal. Listen to your body and see how it reacts to the training. I'd recommend finding a couple other runs in the same timeframe of shorter distances and use your training milestones guide which one you do in the June/July timeframe. There is always another half if your training doesn't have your body ready for that particular distance distance in June. Challenge yourself but don't put yourself in a position where finishing is an embrace the suck event. If the training plan says by a certain week you should be doing a 12km run on the weekend but your body only lets you do 9km ... use that as feedback that maybe a 10k or 15k run is a better distance for you in June. Get the finisher's medal and build from there.

At your current pace it will take over 2.5 hours to complete from the starting gun to finish line ... plus the time on your feet in the starting area, getting through the finish line and post race drink/food area, etc. Factor that into your planning ... 3+ hours of walking, standing, then participating, followed by more walking, stretching, standing.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For a new runner, the Galloway Run-walk-run is a great approach. One key: Increase your distance slowly, no more than 10%/week. More than that it is easy to injure yourself. A great deal of distance running is getting your body used to the punishment.
  • jennipooh0324
    jennipooh0324 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice.
    This particular run/walk event has a time limit of 4 hours which is 11:24 per km.

I looked up Jeff Galloway's training and think I may try that.

My only issue I have right now, is that we have so much snow and ice, that I can't train outside.
    Would running on the track at the gym be ok for training??
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I completed my first half last October. I finished in 2:37 but I had tendonitis in my foot. I started with a 16 week plan and gradually increased my running. Remember to switch your running shoes out every 300-500 miles or you will end up with tendonitis like me! :) It's a great thing to do if you want to. I will be doing another one this year as well.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The other estimates for a HM time are about right in my experience. I completed my first half in September 2012 and I was at about 240 pounds. It took me just over 2:45 minutes.

My fastest to date has been 2:28 and my slowest was 2:53

I especially agree with Brianperkins... it is an ambitious goal, but a doable one. I went from 5K distance (finishing up C25K in March 2012) to HM in 6 months... so a bit longer than you are talking about.

Go for it, but listen to your body. If your body tells you not to push too hard, back off a little... there is always another race to run.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Running on the track inside is fine, a treadmill will do too. Part of this is just putting in the miles, doesn't matter where it is. For me, I can't rack up long runs inside (just too boring), but don't hesitate to do a treadmill run if the weather is bad. Of course, I live in Florida, bad is relative :-)
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    An average beginner half marathon will take between 2.5 - 3 hours.

To train adequately for it, I would suggest you install runkeeper on your smartphone, and undertake a 'coached' 0 to half marathon training regime. Its going to be much more productive doing this than simply running.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    i will give encouragement: woo hoo!!!

as for advice I'll stick to weights haha i suck at running
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm probably no help. My first half was 3:37 minutes. I have two more planned (and paid for) in April and September of this year.

I should of used a structured plan but I simply just tried to add miles every week.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i completed my first half marathon at 225lbs. i did it in two hours and twelve minutes.

at the bottom of this link are three half marathon training plans. they are all ten weeks long. since you have a lot of time, i suggest you start with the conservitive one, and then do the moderate one.

http://www.nyrr.org/train-with-us/training-programs/nyc-half-marathon-training-program
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just did my first half marathon on October 20, weighing just barely under 200 and 55 years old. It is definitely doable especially with this amount of time to train. I ran/walked the race and finished in 3:19, which was a little slower than I had hoped for but I finished. If you have a smart phone I would recommend downloading an app. I used 26.2 for Pink. It would tell me when to walk and when to run, allowed my music to play and I could still use my Nike+ app which tracked the distance.

You can still get training in on a treadmill. Be sure to use the incline some so that it is more like running outside.