Breastfeeding and Weightloss

Options
I'm starting a group weight loss competition in 2 weeks. If each person loses a certain percentage of weight in 3 months we each win $2,000. If one person in the group doesn't reach their individual percentage the entire group loses. I don't want to let the group down being the only girl and I've heard from some people that its hard to lose weight when breastfeeding. I thought it would be easier since you burn 300-500 extra calories breastfeeding. In the past I never had a problem losing weight, I'm just afraid that its going to be different now. I weighed myself last Monday and ate crap over the last 4 days keeping track of my calories and weighed myself today and lost 2 pounds, so I hope this is a good sign. I'm going to start eating healthy today and reduce my calories before the competition to see if I lose weight.

Can some of you give your experiences or opinions on losing weight when breastfeeding?

Replies

• viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The smallest I ever was (until now) was while I was breastfeeding.

I didn't count calories or workout and the lbs just flew off of me post baby.

I think you should focus on your nutrition so that your baby is reaping the full benefits of the milk. Consult with your doctor to make sure you are eating enough too.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Im not breast feeding any more but may I ask whos paying the 2000 dollars? Also each person loses weight differently including breastfeeding a child. But yea what viglet says. Why not worry about the nutrition for your child and your body instead of having a competition.. Why not do one after you are done BF
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Im not breast feeding any more but may I ask whos paying the 2000 dollars? Also each person loses weight differently including breastfeeding a child. But yea what viglet says. Why not worry about the nutrition for your child and your body instead of having a competition.. Why not do one after you are done BF

It's an online competition, not sure who's sponsoring. I plan on having another child in a year or so and will probably breastfeed for the next 5 years, so whether I'm in a competition or not I will lose this weight before the summer. I don't plan on starving myself, but there should be no reason why I can't eat healthy and lose weight and still produce enough milk hopefully.
  • Jenn_Mannino
    Jenn_Mannino Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lost weight easily when I was breastfeeding, but I ate healthier at the time. The negative part was that once I weaned my little guy, I didn't change my eating habits and some of the weight came back. It's definitely more of a challenge trying to lose weight after breastfeeding than during. Good luck!
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I tried cutting calories when I was breastfeeding and my milk supply really suffered :( I lost about 10lbs but when it came down to choosing between my milk drying up or weight loss... i chose to keep the milk lol

Some people lose naturally while breastfeeding without counting calories and others don't. I was never that lucky.
  • AmandaTerry11
    AmandaTerry11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    May I ask how old your baby is? Are you close to weainimg? I myself am still breastfeeding my 5 month old and as much as I'd love to get this weight off faster, it's more important for my baby to have mommy's fantastic milk. Losing weight too quickly can pass thet toxins you're losing onto your baby which would defeat the purpose of breastfeeding... giving your baby the best. Plus doing such a dramatic diet will drain you of the energy you need to keep up with your tiny bundle.
  • jennegan1
    Options

It's an online competition, not sure who's sponsoring. I plan on having another child in a year or so and will probably breastfeed for the next 5 years, so whether I'm in a competition or not I will lose this weight before the summer. I don't plan on starving myself, but there should be no reason why I can't eat healthy and lose weight and still produce enough milk hopefully.

Of course you can eat healthy and lose weight and all of the more luck to you cuz I heard some ladies actually gain weight while BF... I dont know personally cuz my oldest didnt latch on correctly and my youngest I couldnt keep up with her schedule and my older daughters school schedule and stuff like that. Wish I invested in a breast pump
  • AmandaTerry11
    AmandaTerry11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    300-500 calories is for exclusively nursing, it is less if you are supplementing at all or if the baby has started solids. Also, you are supposed to eat those calories back in order to keep up milk production, it's not an extra bonus calorie burn. Just telling you because there has been some confusion on that in the past and women have experienced supply issues.

As far as "can you lose weight," yes, you can, because I'm doing it while nursing a 20-month-old. Is there weight falling off of me? No. It did with my first baby, but I was in my 20's then. Losing weight has been a much different experience in my 30's. It is different for every person and with every pregnancy.

You can only reduce your calories so much while breastfeeding and maintain a supply. If your baby is young, then you have growth spurts coming up as well, which means some weeks it may be harder to lose weight than others because you might need additional calories during the spurt to keep up with the demand.

I can't really give you more advice without knowing your goals. How much weight do you want to lose? Are you exclusively nursing, or do you supplement? How old is your baby now? How long do you plan on nursing?
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    When I was BFing, I was eating as many calories as I was when I was pregnant. Restricting calories does affect your milk supply, however, I did start a low impact workout routine (Leslie Sansone's indoor walking programs) which helped me lose weight with a sensible diet plan.

I started WW after I had my son and lost half of my baby weight doing that (fresh fruits and veggies have 0 points, I didn't go buck nasty, but adding more veggies and fruits to meals made them more filling)

I found a previous, older post I made in regards to this!:
    "I was breastfeeding when I started back on MFP. I calculated that for every ounce produced = 20 calories. So, pumping 10 ounces would equal 200 calories. I noticed right away that restricting my caloric intake not only messed with my supply, but it really did a number on my blood sugar (not to mention how exhausted I would feel after I would pump or feed my son)
    Talking to my doctor about wanting to diet and get back to a healthy weight while breastfeeding, she said that eating anything less than 1300 calories can diminish my supply. I gained far too much weight when I was pregnant, and I'm currently at my halfway mark. But I wanted to get a start on my weight loss as soon as I could.
    So, following a normal healthy diet, I suggest continue taking prenatals (I was so good about taking my vitamins when I was pregnant and breastfeeding, as soon as I weaned, I never took a vitamin since, which is terrible!)

It would also be good to talk to your doctor about this just to make sure, every woman is different, so just because something worked for me doesn't mean you'll have the same results. "
    I still do suggest taking your prenatals (I'm considering going back on the ones I was taking)
    Hope that helps!
  • Stewie316
    Options
    May I ask how old your baby is? Are you close to weainimg? I myself am still breastfeeding my 5 month old and as much as I'd love to get this weight off faster, it's more important for my baby to have mommy's fantastic milk. Losing weight too quickly can pass thet toxins you're losing onto your baby which would defeat the purpose of breastfeeding... giving your baby the best. Plus doing such a dramatic diet will drain you of the energy you need to keep up with your tiny bundle.

My baby is 6 weeks, so nowhere near close to weening. I don't plan on reducing much and hoping for the best.
  • jennegan1
    Options
    When I was BFing, I was eating as many calories as I was when I was pregnant. Restricting calories does affect your milk supply, however, I did start a low impact workout routine (Leslie Sansone's indoor walking programs) which helped me lose weight with a sensible diet plan.

I started WW after I had my son and lost half of my baby weight doing that (fresh fruits and veggies have 0 points, I didn't go buck nasty, but adding more veggies and fruits to meals made them more filling)

"I was breastfeeding when I started back on MFP. I calculated that for every ounce produced = 20 calories. So, pumping 10 ounces would equal 200 calories. I noticed right away that restricting my caloric intake not only messed with my supply, but it really did a number on my blood sugar (not to mention how exhausted I would feel after I would pump or feed my son)
    Talking to my doctor about wanting to diet and get back to a healthy weight while breastfeeding, she said that eating anything less than 1300 calories can diminish my supply. I gained far too much weight when I was pregnant, and I'm currently at my halfway mark. But I wanted to get a start on my weight loss as soon as I could.
    So, following a normal healthy diet, I suggest continue taking prenatals (I was so good about taking my vitamins when I was pregnant and breastfeeding, as soon as I weaned, I never took a vitamin since, which is terrible!)

It would also be good to talk to your doctor about this just to make sure, every woman is different, so just because something worked for me doesn't mean you'll have the same results. "
    I still do suggest taking your prenatals (I'm considering going back on the ones I was taking)
    Hope that helps!

I love Leslie Sansone shes so inspirational
  • Stewie316
    Options
    300-500 calories is for exclusively nursing, it is less if you are supplementing at all or if the baby has started solids. Also, you are supposed to eat those calories back in order to keep up milk production, it's not an extra bonus calorie burn. Just telling you because there has been some confusion on that in the past and women have experienced supply issues.

As far as "can you lose weight," yes, you can, because I'm doing it while nursing a 20-month-old. Is there weight falling off of me? No. It did with my first baby, but I was in my 20's then. Losing weight has been a much different experience in my 30's. It is different for every person and with every pregnancy.

You can only reduce your calories so much while breastfeeding and maintain a supply. If your baby is young, then you have growth spurts coming up as well, which means some weeks it may be harder to lose weight than others because you might need additional calories during the spurt to keep up with the demand.

I can't really give you more advice without knowing your goals. How much weight do you want to lose? Are you exclusively nursing, or do you supplement? How old is your baby now? How long do you plan on nursing?

I'm going to need to lose 25 pounds, but I can get 10 pounds of that to be water weight, so 15 real pounds (approx 1.1 pounds a week). Does that seem doable?
  • Stewie316
    Options

Hope that helps!

I see my doctor next week, so I'll talk to her about this. I'm having second thoughts now. If others weren't depending on me this would be easier.
  • heatherxmichelle
    Options
    I'm currently breastfeeding my four month old. I lost all of my pregnancy weight by about 4 weeks postpartum without even really trying, then I joined mfp. I am now 5lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight, and have about 10 more lbs I want to lose. My supply is great, and my baby is healthy. It's very possible to lose weight while breastfeeding, and I see no harm at all in joining a weight loss competition.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It can be done, if done correctly. I gave up trying to lose weight in the first year of any of my kids. I should have made better choices, but I never lost weight while nursing. http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/mom-exercise/ and http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/ are two good reads. However, with anything, advice is best given by your own doctor. I am not sure what to say since you are in a competition, other than good luck!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I'm going to need to lose 25 pounds, but I can get 10 pounds of that to be water weight, so 15 real pounds (approx 1.1 pounds a week). Does that seem doable?

With so little weight to lose, 1/2-1 lb per week is realistic. At 6 weeks postpartum, it's likely not going to be 10 lbs of water weight, and is probably 25 real lbs. If it makes you feel better, I've got 35 lbs of real weight still to lose. With a baby that young, you really need to make sure you are not cutting your calories too low, because you are going to need them to keep up with the growth in the first six months. You will also need to keep track of which TV show marathons are going on for growth spurts when the kiddo is hooked to you 24/7. Pro-tip: there is always an episode of Law & Order on somewhere. :tongue:

So to give you an idea of your plan, it would be:

MFP Daily calorie goal (which already includes a 250-500 calorie deficit each day, creating a 1/2-1 lb weight loss per week per your settings)

PLUS

Breastfeeding calories, 300-500, which you will need to eat back (food diary has a way to enter this, just search for breastfeeding)

PLUS

Exercise calories, which add to your calorie deficit and you should be eating back. Most people do not eat all the calories back and leave a few for logging errors.

TL;DR: So your calories per day will be MFP Goal + (300-500 BF) + (exercise calories burned) = how much you need to eat each day to lose 1/2-1 lb per week while breastfeeding and theoretically maintain supply

I do not know how you set your goals in your challenge, but I would lean to the very conservative end of the spectrum. Weight loss is not linear and while you can estimate how long it will take you to lose weight based on lbs per week (so 25 weeks at 1 lb per week, assuming you lose that much every week, which you won't), it's going to take longer. You're also going to start burning less calories as your baby grows and nurses less frequently, begins solids, etc. The important thing is to monitor your milk production and tweak your calorie intake as needed to maintain supply. The other fun piece is that nursing does not guarantee amenorrhea and your period can come back at any time, bringing cravings and stupid water weight with it. :angry:

Make sure you drink plenty of water and keep up with your prenatals while BFing. You can absolutely lose weight while breastfeeding, you just can't be as aggressive as a non-BFing individual and you really need to make sure you are eating your calories back.