Bar code scanner and calorie question

Options
JNettie73
JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
I don't use the scanner very often but I noticed 2 inconsistencies yesterday when using it. It gave me 10 calories too much when I scanned my Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese and 20 calories too little when I scanned the package for my Morning Star Farms chick patty. In the past, I have also noticed when I scan my jar of nuts that I bought at BJs it comes up as Cosco with the same product description and portion but scans in as 40 calories less. :noway:

I was wondering if anyone has noticed an inconsistency when using the barcode scanner on the app? If you do notice it, what calorie count do you use? The one on the package or the one the scanner tells you? I have been just going with what the package tells me. Any thoughts?

I know 10 calories isn't a huge difference and won't most likely make or break my journey but if I had constant inconsistencies all day long it could really be a problem. :ohwell:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I go with the package.

Sometimes it comes up with a completely different product......

I will often create my own food by editing the nutrional value in choices in the database when I can't find one that is correct.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You can edit the entry if it brings up the wrong thing. I've gotten a few giggles out of it...like when my blueberries rang in as beer.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I go with the packaging and edit or make a new entry
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You can edit the entry if it brings up the wrong thing. I've gotten a few giggles out of it...like when my blueberries rang in as beer.

LOL now that is funny! Do you know off hand how to edit the entry? I have not tried that. I will have to play around with it and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks everyone for your replies! :flowerforyou:
  • shelltherunner
    shelltherunner Posts: 33 Member
    Options

This is awesome. Maybe I can scan my beer and have it come up with blueberries!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I go with the packaging and edit or make a new entry

I do this too. This happened last night when I scanned a bag of Homai short grain rice. According to the package, a 2/3 cup serving is 155 calories and it scanned at 180. So far that has been the only thing I've scanned that came up wrong ... wonder if my blueberries will come up as beer? Going to have to check that out! LOL ...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

:laugh: That's funny. My blueberries came up as blueberry yogurt once - but never beer!

And I always go with the package. If it is short just a few calories I sometimes just use "quick add" for the missing calories to make up the difference.
  • hwynboy
    Options
    Bump to the top

Does anyone know HOW to edit the calories on a scanned item? I'm not able to figure this out
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I use mine as much as possible !! I love it ! If I had to figure this stuff up with a pencil and paper I would not be doing the calorie counting at all :(. I use it for just about everything and yes there will be an occasional mistake on the readout. I go with the package if it is Way Off .. On some occasions if the package shows a higher number than what its scanning I might change the portion to 1.1 or 1.2 to get it as close as I can to what the package says..
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but think you can't edit via the app. You can on the website, I think if you click on the nutritional info it offers it.

I too have found disrepancies but as it's when away from laptop I never remember to correct it once home!