The Latest Research on Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hello all! I heard parts of a very interesting show on NPR's Diane Rehm Show today about the effects of intermittent fasting on health, metabolism and mental acuity. The guests were:

Dr. Michael Mosley physician, science journalist and author.
Dr. Mark Mattson researcher, National Institute on Aging.
Dr. Valter Longo director, University of Southern California Longevity Institute.

The words 'research' and 'data' were used a lot.

I wish I'd been able to listen to the whole show, but here's the link: http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2014-01-09/latest-research-intermittent-fasting. Maybe you can catch the podcast when it becomes available.

Replies

• NicJas17
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I am going to listen to it now. I read a lot about how IF might have reverse effects on women compared to the beneficial effects for men, but the research wasn't too extensive, didn't include a large sample of women and most results were based on experiments run on mice.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Agree, it was a very interesting show. I didn't know a thing about it. Ordered Moseley's book on Kindle and read it. Am digging out some of the research.

In addition to whatever effects it has on weight reduction - which again comes down to math; if you restrict caloric intake by 60-75% 2 days a week and eat between 100-120% on the other days, you come out ahead - the really interesting indicators are along metabolic lines. The basic premise is that our bodies evolved in an environment that didn't lend itself to constant munching and that 'overindulgence' is a function of how often/when we eat as much as how many calories we take in (obviously the two are related but not completely). The admittedly preliminary data is pointing to chronic inflammatory syndrome among other effects.

I've been dealing with big time inflammatory issues for the past several months that have led to lots of steroids and then lots of weight gain….I've picked up 14 pounds in the past 18 months - on a 5'1" frame…which isn't helping the joint/muscle issues involved. I'm not one to jump on "fad" diets at all but think I may try this for a few weeks - will keep ya'll posted if interested.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I only do IF occasionally but one tangential benefit is that it will help you recognize "real" hunger and differentiate it from mere cravings or boredom eating. Combined with a LCHF diet, it's really given me exceptional control over my appetite.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 since I saw Mosley's documentary in early May. My weightloss was more than I ever expected, my blood work is now perfect (it wasn't bad before, but the cholesterol was a bit high and my blood pressure was on the high side of normal).

I also 'had' to start running, because nordic walking wasn't getting my heart rate up anymore. I am fitter, stronger and have more energy than ever before. And I have better portion control, less cravings and a much healthier relationship to calorie dense foods. My blood sugar fluctuates much less and I can handle being a bit hungry!

I have had none of adverse effects, that are stated for some women. For me it's the best thing I've ever done and it has become a way of life and a tool to control my weight for the rest of my life. Note - I am 44 and have always been overweight, even as a child. I am now just about to pass through the door into a normal BMI range....for the first time in my life.
  • Joannalovesgene
    Joannalovesgene Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow Flumi :) Inspiring story. I started doing IF (5:2) last month and can't believe how much my body has changed in 1 month. Love Dr. Mosely!!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I started out using 5:2 last March and it was a great way to get my appetite under control. I still followed the suggested daily calorie intake on MFP but two days a week ate 500 calories. I still use this strategy whenever I have an event on the weekend or I just want to drink more.
  • danay86
    danay86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain what 5:2 means?
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain what 5:2 means?

Eating at maintainance 5 days a week and at 500cals for women (600 for men) twice a week. When you have your fast days is up to you. They can be consecutive, but don't have to be.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 since I saw Mosley's documentary in early May. My weightloss was more than I ever expected, my blood work is now perfect (it wasn't bad before, but the cholesterol was a bit high and my blood pressure was on the high side of normal).

I also 'had' to start running, because nordic walking wasn't getting my heart rate up anymore. I am fitter, stronger and have more energy than ever before. And I have better portion control, less cravings and a much healthier relationship to calorie dense foods. My blood sugar fluctuates much less and I can handle being a bit hungry!

I have had none of adverse effects, that are stated for some women. For me it's the best thing I've ever done and it has become a way of life and a tool to control my weight for the rest of my life. Note - I am 44 and have always been overweight, even as a child. I am now just about to pass through the door into a normal BMI range....for the first time in my life.

Congratulations on your progress and fitness!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day IF for weight loss, 5:2 to transition from weight loss to maintenance, and then I did 18:6IF for a bit at the beginning of maintenance. Loved doing IF :smile: