Body Media question

Options
I have my body media synced with myfitnesspal. As the day goes on my daily calorie goal on my diary in myfitnesspal gets higher. Should I try to eat that amount? Or should I just ignore that info and go by what my bodymedia activity manager tells me (500 cals less than my total daily burn)?
Little confused about the myfitnesspal info that its giving me now that I have synced them.
Thanks!

Replies

• ramsfan84
    ramsfan84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have one also and it does the same for me. I will be interested in the reply. I think someone said you need to change something in the settings but not sure. I just try to stay within my goal.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have one too...and this is what I started to do this week:

1) record my activity here at MFP so I can see what 'bonus' calories I might earn (since MFP setting are you eat your exersice calories back)

2) then when I do after i upload my BMF data, I change the calories burned for my recorded activities to 1 calorie.

Generally what I've been noticing is that my suggested calorie goal on the BMF application is what my MFP calories would be if I ate back my activity calories (base calories + exersice calories).
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will answer your questions or not, but..

the Body Media will send MFP what it predicts your total burn for the rest of the day will be based on what it's already monitored and what it thinks you're going to burn based on it's settings you give it.

MFP then compares that number to what it believes you'd burn based on your activity settings here.

So, if I sync my armband and Body Media believes I'm going to burn 3200 calories based on my exercise that I've done and what it thinks I'm going to do (obviously it's not going to try and predict extra exercise), and MFP thinks I'm going to burn 2400 calories doing my desk job all day..

..then MFP is going to say that I've done 800 calories worth of exercise. At that point, following MFP's design, I'd eat those 800 calories back.
  • Meredith0710
    Meredith0710 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a faq about sending bodymedia and mfp if you haven't read it, it is helpful.

I log my food on mfp ONLY.
    I let bodymedia do my calorie calculations for me.
    Since i have a lot to lose, i try for a 800-1000 cal a day deficit on my bodymedia display. Right now, that means eating somewhere between 1200-2000 calories depending on how active i have been that day.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit but it seems like the same logic would apply for BodyMedia. What I do is set my MFP to my sedentary calories to get a base. That gets automatically adjusted through the day as FitBit adds/subtracts from it. This is just an estimate based off how active you've been at whatever point the site updates. It seems to be every few hours. In the morning when it sync it actually takes calories away from me since I haven't moved around much. By the end of the day it's usually given me a few hundred extra. The MFP site has always been within a few calories of the food plan FitBit gives me.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    The BMF Calorie Limit is baed on your target daily calorie burn (total daily energy expenditure), minus what you set your weight loss to be.

MFP Calorie Limit is based on your base calorie burn (bmr) based on what activity level you put in. Then they minus calories from that...that's your calorie goal.....so then if you are active above your base level (that's why I put lazy as mine since I have a desk job) you record your activity and eat back the exercise calories.

If you don't want the confusion....and you are generally active the same amount every day...

Here at MFP go to GOALS, Set Goals, Customize. Set your MFP calorie limit at the BMF app calorie limit. Then set your MFP setting for 0 exersice. That way they will be similar. Then you eat to that limit and don't worry about recording exercise calories here at MFP.
  • sweetmelissaphoto
    sweetmelissaphoto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess what I am unclear on is should I eat as much as myfitnesspal daily goal or 500 less than the daily goal it gives me?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess what I am unclear on is should I eat as much as myfitnesspal daily goal or 500 less than the daily goal it gives me?

The short answer is that if your MFP settings for your goals include a deficit of 1 lb/week--and you are not entering any of your daily activity manually-- then yes. Eat to the goal. Don't strive to have a green 500 left over at the end of the day.

MFP is just letting Body Media dictate how much you're burning in a day above and beyond being sedentary ( in my case) instead of you entering in the exercise.