JUST STARTED LIFTING WEIGHTS

Options
I am a 5'7" female and I usually weigh between 134-145 pounds. At my lowest this past summer, I was 134 pounds. I run several days a week, and I just started lifting weights last month. I am serious about it, and I really want to continue. I have already upped in weights and I have noticed that my arms have become bigger. I have noticed that I am gaining some weight. I also get more hungry. Are these things normal? Yesterday I weighed 144 pounds. My clothes still fit the same, but, on some level, I feel like I am going backward! It makes me a little nervous. I know that a few pounds are attributed to my normal winter weight gain (no matter what I do, I seem to gain a smidge of weight every winter, and then it just falls off in the summer, which is probably because I am more active in the summer.) Basically, I just want to know if it is normal to gain some weight and feel more hungry when adding in weight training.

Replies

• alvone89
    Options
    If you gain muscle, you may gain weight.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

In summer I lost 2-3kg of fat, but then ended up 1-2kg heavier after getting back into my strength training routine.

Measure your fat, not your weight!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's very normal to show gains on the scale in the first weeks of a new lifting program. Your muscles retain water as they repair, and that's most of what the added weight is.

I am also hungrier after lifting. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein (1 g per lb LBM is a good guideline, so for you probably 100-120 g daily), it helps your muscles repair as well as sating that hunger. But carbs aren't bad either (although it would be better to go with fruit, grains, etc than candy!) Eat at maintenance of a very slight deficit for a little while, then you can see how you need to adjust things.

Lifting is AWESOME!!
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're lifting, you'll probably put on a few pounds. This is a good thing. You're not going backwards. :smile:
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    My job has an annual health fair every February, and I will have my BMI checked. I have my results from last year. I am hoping that number maybe shows some improvement!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

No, :grumble:

a pound is a pound, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Muscle takes up less space, but still weighs a pound
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Are you still eating at a caloric deficit? If so, then most of the gains and size changes can simply be attributed to water being stored in your muscles as they repair (and also to normal weight fluctuations). The hunger is definitely par for the course - you may actually find that the lifting allows you to eat a little more than usual (this was the case for me). If you're still at a caloric deficit (and confident about that - weighing/measuring food etc.) then you're pretty much just dealing with water. Totally untrained/new lifters can can a lb or two of muscle initially, but that's about it unless they're bulking (eating above maintenance). If your eating is in check, I wouldn't panic just yet :) Give your body a couple of weeks to settle down (but don't be surprised if you see small temporary increases on the scale the day after lifting - again with the water retention).
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same. A pound is a pound.

BUT muscle is denser than fat therefore it takes up less space. Plus a toned body (one with more muscle) looks much better IMO. Don't sweat it.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's very normal to show gains on the scale in the first weeks of a new lifting program. Your muscles retain water as they repair, and that's most of what the added weight is.

I am also hungrier after lifting. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein (1 g per lb LBM is a good guideline, so for you probably 100-120 g daily), it helps your muscles repair as well as sating that hunger. But carbs aren't bad either (although it would be better to go with fruit, grains, etc than candy!) Eat at maintenance of a very slight deficit for a little while, then you can see how you need to adjust things.

Lifting is AWESOME!!

This. It's unlikely that you're gaining much muscle mass. That takes time and normally a calorie surplus. In the beginning, gains in strength are due to other things (training your neurons to recruit muscle more efficiently and so forth).

So yah, the weight gain is most likely water retention due to swelling in the muscle tissue because the micro-tears in the muscle.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My job has an annual health fair every February, and I will have my BMI checked. I have my results from last year. I am hoping that number maybe shows some improvement!

BMI can of course be checked by knowing your Height and Weight. (google BMI CALCULATOR to find many sites to do this for free) What your health fair will likely do is measure your body fat % which is a better way of assessing your health.

(If you gain muscle and lose the same body weight in fat your BMI will stay the same, but body fat % will improve.)
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    OP- if your clothes fit then ditch the scale and pay more attention to your body changes. Take progress photos, the scale is not always a good judge of progress
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

a pound is a pound, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Muscle takes up less space, but still weighs a pound

Muscle doesn't take up less space because an inch is an inch. An inch of muscle takes up the same space as an inch of fat.

Unless you mean that one pound of muscle will take up less space than one pound of fat, which is true. And, all variables being equal, one cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than one cubic inch of fat.

Semantics! :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

A cubic inch of muscle takes up the same space as a cubic inch of fat.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Muscle doesn't take up less space because an inch is and inch. An inch of muscle takes up the same space as an inch of fat.

Unless you mean that one pound of muscle will take up less space than one pound of fat, which is true. And, all variables being equal, one cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than one cubic inch of fat.

Semantics! :flowerforyou:
    Beat me to it. :grumble: :tongue:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you just started lifting, your muscles are retaining more water for repair which is normal. You have increased your activity level by incorporating lifting...so yeah...being hungrier goes with the territory. To boot, your muscles require more fuel to repair themselves so you burn more calories at rest which in turn makes you hungrier.

If you are in a calorie deficit, you cannot build muscle. When people say they're muscles look bigger, it is largely the result of the "pump" which is attributable to the water retention I mentioned above. Also, overall fat reduction reveals the muscle underneath...so a lot of people think their muscle is growing when in reality, they're just cutting fat.

It is extremely difficult to build muscle...a male with good genetics and a spot on bodybuilding diet (surplus) and strict routine might be able to put on a pound or so of muscle per month...it is even harder for women because you don't have the testosterone necessary to build muscle like that...and it is impossible if you are in a calorie deficit (save for minimal noob gains if you're extremely large to begin with).

What program are you doing? If you're just doing your own thing, I would strongly advise you to get on an actual program to reap the most benefits from the time you're putting into this. It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to put together your own routine with proper programming.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-4lbs right after lifting.. I stay around that weight until I take a 3-4 days break from lifting every other day, which I do once a month or so. I lose 5-7lbs.

but I will say.. I weigh 163 now. I weighed 175 for a LONG time. I was a comfy size 12... I am now a size 6. The scale isn't the end all, be all. Use your tape measure.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'7" female and I usually weigh between 134-145 pounds. At my lowest this past summer, I was 134 pounds. I run several days a week, and I just started lifting weights last month. I am serious about it, and I really want to continue. I have already upped in weights and I have noticed that my arms have become bigger. I have noticed that I am gaining some weight. I also get more hungry. Are these things normal? Yesterday I weighed 144 pounds. My clothes still fit the same, but, on some level, I feel like I am going backward! It makes me a little nervous. I know that a few pounds are attributed to my normal winter weight gain (no matter what I do, I seem to gain a smidge of weight every winter, and then it just falls off in the summer, which is probably because I am more active in the summer.) Basically, I just want to know if it is normal to gain some weight and feel more hungry when adding in weight training.

If you "JUST" started lifting chances are it is water being retained in the muscle for repairs...no worries.

It will go away...in 2-3 weeks...

As well unless you are eating a surplus chances are it's not muscle gain...noob gains can happen but not big amounts.

As for the hunger yah that happens...make sure you are eating enough protien and you wont find yourself being as hungry. I just added in HIIT to my weight lifting this week and thought I was gonna have to buy a grocery store I've been so hungry..it is calming down now...but I have upped my protien this week trying to get in an extra 20g last night.
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    If you just started lifting, your muscles are retaining more water for repair which is normal. You have increased your activity level by incorporating lifting...so yeah...being hungrier goes with the territory. To boot, your muscles require more fuel to repair themselves so you burn more calories at rest which in turn makes you hungrier.

If you are in a calorie deficit, you cannot build muscle. When people say they're muscles look bigger, it is largely the result of the "pump" which is attributable to the water retention I mentioned above. Also, overall fat reduction reveals the muscle underneath...so a lot of people think their muscle is growing when in reality, they're just cutting fat.

It is extremely difficult to build muscle...a male with good genetics and a spot on bodybuilding diet (surplus) and strict routine might be able to put on a pound or so of muscle per month...it is even harder for women because you don't have the testosterone necessary to build muscle like that...and it is impossible if you are in a calorie deficit (save for minimal noob gains if you're extremely large to begin with).

What program are you doing? If you're just doing your own thing, I would strongly advise you to get on an actual program to reap the most benefits from the time you're putting into this. It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to put together your own routine with proper programming.

I have a friend who used to work with a trainer who has guided me, and my fiance has always been a lifter so he is helping me too. I have never lifted weights in my life, so this is very new to me! I feel like I may have to give it time to "get the hang of it." I want to build muscle, but I am struggling with adjusting my diet to do so. In the past I always tried to watch my calories and burn it off with cardio. Now I want to build my muscles! I have been working to eat more protien for sure. I did change my settings on here to set my caloric goal at just losing 1/2 pound a week instead of 1 pound (since I really don't need to lose much anyway). Perhaps I should change it to maintain my weight for a while. I have always been only a runner, and this lifting thing is very different, but it is fun!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you gain muscle, you may gain weight.

In summer I lost 2-3kg of fat, but then ended up 1-2kg heavier after getting back into my strength training routine.

Measure your fat, not your weight!

No.

The OP gained 10lbs in a month. A professional body building female might be able to put on 10lbs in a year. When you start a new exercise regimine (especially lifting), or increase the intensity of your current one the body will retain water for muscle repair. This is where your "pump" comes from. I can gain 6lbs after a heavy lifting session.

Agreed with watch the tape measure and not the scale if you're lifting though. Your BF% should lower, but your weight may not change much, if at all.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

yes this is implied.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Sorry - seems this is derailing the thread, but that's a ridiculous comment and I keep hearing it so I needed to vent.

It's like saying gold weighs more than styrofoam. A lb of gold weighs the same as a lb of styrofoam, but gold is still g.d. heavier than styrofoam.

With your logic, everything in this world weighs the same because a lb of x weighs the same as a lb of y.

--

To answer to the original question, in addition to what's already been said about water weight gain, I am in the same boat as OP. Weight lifting for me makes it difficult to lose weight. I get really hungry when I lift heavy and I tend to gain weight unless I'm paying very very close attention to what I eat.

However, this doesn't mean you should stop lifting. As you said, your clothes will likely feel the same even though you may be going up in weight. If you do manage to get back down to 134lbs while lifting, you'll see that you look so much better than you ever did.

Also, with regards to your BMI, are you talking body fat percentage? If not, and you do mean BMI, it is based solely on height and weight and doesn't take body composition into consideration at all.