which dogs love to run?

Options
hi, i'm looking to get a puppy and would like advice on breeds that love running. probably a gun/working dog.
Also my husband is asthmatic so would need a dog that shouldn't affect him if that's possible.
any advice??

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    greyhounds, love to run, not much hair. Irish wolfhounds, love to run, lots of terrier type hair, smaller dogs, whippets, love to run. Labs will run but it can be bad on the hips in larger breeds if you run them a lot before they are fully grown. Mutts, healthy, can have any type of hair and will run circles around your heart.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    My boxer likes to go running with me...she just can't go during the summer for long though (I can't either...it's hot & humid here then lol)
  • mattamusprime
    Options
    Don't know about the asthma part, but my sister's husky is ridiculously energetic
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Border Collies are HIGHLY active dogs. Greyhounds are couch potatoes, unless you make them work (ie: dog racing). Boxers & Bostons are fun too.
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    Curly dogs are better for a lot of allergics. It's not usually the actual fur that is bad for someone with asthma, but rather how much skin particles the dog sheds (sounds gross I know. Those who have horses should be well familiar with what I'm talking about)

I don't know any dog that doesn't love to run tbh. I would advise you to look for one that has the type of personality you are looking for, and don't forget about the medium breeds, like Jack Russell ect - bred to be very active and run a lot.

Good luck finding the perfect puppy! :)
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    German shorthairs, excellent hunting dogs and also very energetic, loves running. Also very good hypoallergnic dogs. Very low on health problems as well.
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    Don't know about the asthma part, but my sister's husky is ridiculously energetic

I have a husky, and he is very very high energy. The only problem with running for him is when it's hot, as he has a heavy coat. I run late or early in the summer in order to not over heat him.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you're worreid about shedding, poodles don't. And there are tons of poodle mixes now so that you get the personality of certain dogs without the hair every where. But as for running, I don't know what they are like. Never have owned one. I have a boxer and a lab and both like to run.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Labradoodle is all I can think of for running AND hypo-allergenic. They love running (my friends have two).
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs, a beagle and a bluetick coonhound. Both dogs are highly active, love running and I'm a chronic asthmatic and I don't have an allergic reaction to either. They do shed though so I guess it depends on the type of reaction your husband has. Ours live outside which lessens the problem...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Labradoodle is all I can think of for running AND hypo-allergenic. They love running (my friends have two).

Ohmigosh, one of my friends has a giant Labradoodle. He is the happiest, friendliest dog in the universe. He won't leave visitors alone. He's a vicious killer, too. He will LICK YOU TO DEATH! lol
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My Airedale loves to run and he doesn't shed!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you get a dog that you truly want to run with, please keep in mind that a pup's joints are fully formed until they are well over one year of age. By running distance with a young dog, you could do irreparable damage to their bones and joints. I know that dogs go out and love to run in the yard, but most generally don't just go run for a few miles on their own. If you'd really like one that you can run with now, I would go to a rescue shelter (take your husband as well), and find a dog that suits both your needs and whose bones/joints are up to what you're looking for. Shelter dogs rock!

In a quick google search, I ran across this which I thought was very good information:

http://www.squidoo.com/runningdog
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. All really helpfull information, and i'll definitely take care of the amount of running if i get a puppy. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    my dalmatian loves to run with me. She sheds a medium amount, and doesn't bother my hubby's asthma. Extremely affectionate, too.

And Adorable, if I say so myself LOL