Tips to get your mind off food?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Anyone got tips to stop thinking about food all the time other than, you know, eating it? :)

Replies

• laceandbits
    Options
    That's the problem with being 'on a diet', you have to think about food choices to ensure that you have the right things available. Plan your meals and the time you will eat them so you know you only have x time to wait. Enjoy the act of preparing and cooking the food as much as the eating itself, as during this time you are allowing and approving your brain to think about food.

But to stop yourself thinking about food (or do you really mean eating) *all* the time, you need something that will occupy your hands and brain. I use lacemaking, knitting and other crafts but each to their own. Watching television is not good as even your brain isn't fully busy and food features in both programme X and adverts. Spending lots of time here probably doesn't help either if you're trying not to think about food..... Make your entries in your diaries and get out quick :-)

To distract yourself when desperate try cleaning your teeth really well so you don't want to dirty them again just yet, drinking water or another low calorie liquid or soup, go for a walk or do some tidying or gardening. If nothing else you will have burnt a few calories. And finally find a really intense flavour something that you can suck when all else fails - aniseed balls, extra strong mints, cough candy (my favourite, cheap too from Asda. Two is always plenty) or similar, that leave plenty of taste behind. Many of them are only between 10 and 20 calories, a good investment if it stops you snacking on higher calory stuff like chocolate where it's easy to eat 200 calories in the blink of an eye.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Gum!! lol...or just try to keep really busy.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just rediscovered gum too!! Extra Sugarfree - 5cals each. Now if I can just get my mind off coffee.....
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Reading the community forums, facebook, housework/cleaning, go shopping or mall walking.

I think about how I felt before I lost weight and then I suck my stomach in and let it back out - :laugh: - that usually makes me feel less like putting food in there!

It's a great question, I'm very interested in other suggestions.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours & make sure to include protein with every meal.

A good trick is the "apple test" to determine if you're really hungry or just bored. When you find yourself thinking about food; think about eating the most perfect apple. Does that sound appealing? If so, you're probably legitamately hungry. If not, you're bored.

Drink some water or tea and check back in with yourself in 30 minutes. Still thinking about food? EAT.
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I agree with the others that gum is great! and staying busy!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bumpyyyyyybump
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that our body signals thirst the same way it signals hunger. Try drinking some water (or refreshing beverage of your choice) and wait 30 minutes. If you're still hungry-eat. Try having some low-calorie snacks to hand in case you just can't last to the next meal.

I eat every couple of hours-just a little bit to tie me over to the next meal. It really helps!
  • mcg6242
    mcg6242 Posts: 84
    Options
    When I tend to get hungry I just go drink a big glass of lemon water !
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Play videogames.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Just find something to stay busy, if your mind is preoccupied with other things you won't think about food until you are genuinely hungry.

Rigger
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump. I have really good smelling candles, that I um, guess just smell when I'm craving sweets. And chew gum. And chug water. Honestly I need some more ideas as well.
  • Madilyn1992
    Options
    I usually just start cleaning or organizing my house and then before I know it, It's lunch or dinner time! lol
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    think about something gross
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'm not talking about being hungry or not. I'm typically not hungry when it happens. It's just cravings I guess.

Yeah video games tend to work to an extent, lol.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Read. If you like to do that. I find I can be for real hungry but if I pick up a book, I totally forget that I'm hungry until I'm finished reading. Early on, I'd decide that I could either eat or sleep. I always pick sleep. ALWAYS.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get cravings to eat that are related to anxiety levels. If this happens in the evening, and I've already eaten enough for the day (or I have cals left but feel that the cravings will be too much for the cals I have left) I sometimes have a bath with nice music, bath salts, candles etc. I usually take a book in there and lie there for a while. It takes up time and distracts me from thinking about food, but it also has the effect of calming me down and reducing anxiety which usually takes away the food cravings.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Read. If you like to do that. I find I can be for real hungry but if I pick up a book, I totally forget that I'm hungry until I'm finished reading. Early on, I'd decide that I could either eat or sleep. I always pick sleep. ALWAYS.

Yeah I go to bed early to avoid snacking at night. Or read, but it's harder to do during the day, at least when the kids are home.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am a 16:8 Intermittent faster so I don't eat when I wake up. My first meal is around noon each day. Doing this has taught me that the body gives off the same signal when you are hungry and thirsty. Try drinking water when you think you are hungry.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I obviously am not going tell you to drink coffee or I might get beaten up by the community. but recently I started drinking coffee and I swear like 1 cup of black coffee (yes I like it black) keeps my hunger away for like 2 hours.. it's not intentional, but I do find it fascinating.