Protein Consumption?

Options
Hi there,
I have recently been trying to get more protein in my diet as that is something I find a challenged for me. The last two days I have made sure to get some protein in my diet (I am finding I am more full too, so that is great). My goal is like 58 grams of protein, but when I exercise it ups it up to about 70 grams. For the last two days, I have eaten OVER 70 grams. I am 115-120 lbs. depending on the day. Is this too much?

Thoughts?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No, it is not too much. I shoot for 110+ grams and I weigh 130 pounds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ideally you want 1g per lean mass pound (so probably 90-100g for you). 58g is actually very low.
  • FindingMyFit2014
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts! What are some good and easy ways to get protein?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Meat
    Fish
    Shrimp
    Beans
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Protein powders/bars
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    If you want protein without the fats, try egg whites
  • FindingMyFit2014
    Options
    These are all good protein options!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I love the list of proteins above but I would add one to it Nuts and Peanut Butter I use tose in snacks a lot and I shoot for 100 grams a day and am 130 lbs but very active with strength training 2-3 days a week 2 hr sessions and cardio usually 5 days minimum a week for an hour
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ideally you want 1g per lean mass pound (so probably 90-100g for you). 58g is actually very low.

It's more like 0.65g/lb of lean body mass if sedentary and .8g/lb of lean body mass if you're doing resistance training. 1g/lb won't hurt you but it's not necessary.
  • naurugirl
    naurugirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese! The kind I eat is ~90 calories per 1/2 cup and 14g of protein!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

hmm, i was going for 1g per pound of body weight. per lbs of lean body mass makes more sense. i guess i won't feel bad when i eat around 20 g under my weight
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps

Protein in 100g = 30 g / Half-Breast (306g) = 92 g /
    Protein to Calorie Ratio 1g protein per 4.5 calories

2: Fish (Tuna, Salmon, Halibut)

Protein in 100g = 28 g / 3oz Fillet 85g = 26 g/
    Protein to Calorie Ratio 1g protein per 4.5 calories

#3: Cheese (Non-fat Mozzarella)

Protein in 100g = 32 g / 1oz Slice (28g) = 9 g
    Protein to Calorie Ratio 1g protein per 4.7 calories

Read more at http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php#sWu2ox78DpSWF82j.99
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese! The kind I eat is ~90 calories per 1/2 cup and 14g of protein!

Just to cheer you up a serving size of cottage cheese is 125g/ then it says 1/2c....guess what if you weigh out 125g it's more then 1/2 cup (looks to be about 2/3 of a cup)....now you can eat more....
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

hmm, i was going for 1g per pound of body weight. per lbs of lean body mass makes more sense. i guess i won't feel bad when i eat around 20 g under my weight

For you it's not that big of a delta, but when someone is 300lbs or more they really need to make sure they're calculating it based on their LBM. ;-)