I'M SO CONFUSED WITH ALL THE DIFFERENT POLAR HRM!?

Options
I am strongly considering buying a Polar HRM but I’m really stuck... I just don’t know which one is best?

I don’t mind spending around £100 if it’s worth it but I really dont want to go much higher than that.

The main exercises I do is: 'Walking, jogging, running, home workout DVD's and some Yoga' I want a HRM to give me a more accurate readings on how many calories I’m burning when I’m doing exercise, rather than relying on the MFP calories burnt in the exercise list.

Can anyone suggest a modal that would suit me and the type of workouts I do. I was interested in maybe the Polar FT40F HRM watch, does anyone have any feedback on this modal? I also saw the Polar FA20 Watch but I’m not sure if this one is a HRM as such?

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Claire x

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    They all work the same. With that said, just the the one that fits what you want from it. Ask your self, if you want to pay a extra for some different bells and whistels.
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    I have the F6 and LOVE it.

Easy to use, accurate (I hope!! Haha!), has everything you need.

Good luck!
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing. I was looking at their website and I am just lost. I don't have a regular workout routine but I want something that would be useful to me overtime with the expectations that my workouts will become more regular and more intense.
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I have the FT7.. I have loved it so far.. I say loved because for the past two weeks I have been having problems with it.. though I now believe it is down to the chest strap. So will be replacing that next week and hope that solves my problems.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I do similar activities. I bought a Polar F4 in June. I was sold on it because of the price, it was on sale for $45. It does do what I want though, it has a chest strap and it calculates cals burned based on my heart rate. I would do some searching and find the best deal on ones that will serve your purpose.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    it is WORTH IT, the F6 is amazing but any level above that I'm sure would be great!!!!
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just bought a FT4 and its wonderful ! i spent around 90$ , any polar will be good i think !
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks on this site recommended to me the Polar FT7 and that is what I got (about 3 weeks ago) and I'm happy so far. I spent around $85 on Amazon at a promotional price. I wear the chest strap and watch and it times my workouts and gives HRM data and calorie burn. IT synchs with Polar machines at the gym to read out my HR data. All Polar's, I believe, are waterproof which is good (this one can even be used in the water).

One thing about this model of Polar that is nice is that it is newer and the user can change the battery. Many of the Polar models require that you send it in for a battery change. Happy to respond to any specific questions about it. Good luck!

The battery thing would make a difference too, so much easier to change it yourself. I have an older one that you can't do that. It is waterproof though.
  • noble1987
    Options
    Thanks for your help x
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Ive looked at some of these, and my question is on the chest strap? How big is the strap, because Im kind of a big fella, and Im concerened it will not make it around me :(
  • noble1987
    Options
    Ive looked at some of these, and my question is on the chest strap? How big is the strap, because Im kind of a big fella, and Im concerened it will not make it around me :(

You can get an elasticated chest strap so this might suit you better. xxx
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If not, I'll duct tape it on.......
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

That is too funny. It might hurt when you take it off. :tongue:
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I have the RS 100 now and I love it but I want the RS 300X...

Anybody here tried that one?
  • noble1987
    Options

That is too funny. It might hurt when you take it off. :tongue:

He he he especially if he has chest hair!!! ouch! xxx
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    on polar's site they give pretty specific descriptions of what each HRM does. I'm not sure we could provide anything better. They are definitely NOT all the same. Most of them perform all the same basic functions, but there are many different ones for many different activities. I wanted the running one (RS400) but decided to stay with my F6 until it dies (I've had it for 3 years, the thing just won't die) because with all the new stuff I need for my house I can't really justify it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I recently obtained the Polar FT40M thru Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/POLAR-FT40M-Black-Heart-Monitor/dp/B0036QI9JE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1289475756&sr=8-5

pretty good deal, 180$ normally and I got it for 120$

There was 2 versions of it for men. I went with the XXL version. Site states 46-60 inches. The chest straps stretches and actually fits me with a bit of room to spare (or stretch in this case XD). I am a big guy. 6'2, 399 lbs. large frame. I wouldn't worry if it fits or not, just make sure you get the XXL ver.

I used it with Cardio Trainer App for Android phones and was surprised the difference in calories burned from the Cardio Trainer app compared to what the Polar HRM watch tells me. On a avg. walking session of 1hr. the Cardio Trainer App tells me I burn 690-790 cal. The Polar HRM says I burned 1100-1200 cals. in the same 1hr walking. (0.o) My Fitness Profile says in that amount of time at the pace I go it says I should be burning 570 cals.

I didn't change anything, same path, same time of night. same amount of pace and distance covered.
    so I am kinda at a loss about what I should use for MFP daily tracking, I assume Polar HRM is more accurate since it's based off your heart rate. I am floored to believe I am really burning that much. Anyone have experience with calories burned? etc etc?
  • reflections
    Options
    I have the Polar F4 and it works great for me. I got mine good price at heartratemonitorsusa dot com
  • Tommyboi682
    Tommyboi682 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the polar FT7 and i gotta say its been one of the best fitness purchases I've made!