Itching to get out of the "plus size"...

Options
I am currently (& have been ever since I've had my daughter 2 years ago) wearing an x/1x shirt & 16/18 jeans (depends on the brands and what not, like all clothing) and I'm itching to shop in a "normal" store again. Just to walk in, and be able to find something that fits me comfortably, even if it is an xl. (xl in my opinion isn't even all that "extra" haha) My question is to the women who started in the "plus sizes" how long was it until you found yourself no longer needing to shop in plus size stores? I know it will come gradually but I'm just so ready! I'm more determined now than I ever was.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i never shopped at plus size stores (lane bryant, 7th avenue) even when i was at my largest at size 22/24. i always thought the clothing styles looked like they were made for fat people (ugly prints, odd cuts, etc). i pretty much stuck to plus sized sections of regular stores like forever 21, h&m, department stores, old navy (i have a lot of cute things from ON), modcloth, rue lala, asos, etc.

in terms of sizing, it took me losing 30 pounds to get from a size 22 to a size 14 in jeans from express. i gained a little weight back when i stopped logging for a year and went back to a size 16 but as of yesterday i'm able to get the size 14s back on.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'd like the answer to this myself. I've been in the lower end of the plus sizes for months now even though I've been consistently losing. It's getting to the point that a lot of the plus sized stuff is getting a little too big for me yet the regular sizes in general are still too snug to comfortably wear. Trying to find clothes that fit properly lately has not been fun. :ohwell:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It took me about 4 months and 30ish lbs too to drop from a TIGHT 16 (I refused to go bigger, and 18's were just a tad bit big anyway) to a 14. Shirts are a little more forgiving because it really depends on what kind of top it is. I've lost 43 lbs now, and I can just barely squeeze into a 12 pant. I can pull them up and zip them pretty much fine, but I've got some muffin with them. I'm also in size Large shirts now. I've found most of my XL shirts to be more like dresses now (if it weren't for the length issue...) lol. It takes time, but you'll get there. I was lucky that I already had size 14's available to me (from pre-pregnancy), so I could periodically try them on, but if you don't, you could try purchasing a pair (on clearance or 2nd hand) and keep trying until they fit. I've purchased 3 pairs of 12's, because I know I'll be fitting in them relatively soon.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I started at about a size 20 or so and a 2x, though I was stuffing myself into 18W and 1x clothes.

It took me until about 190 lbs to get to a regular size 16, which was about 40 lbs. That took about a year, but I struggled with getting my eating habits under control quite a bit.

It's a really surreal feeling when you realize that you don't have to go to plus sizes anymore. I found myself wandering over there for months after I dropped into the "misses" sizes just out of habit.

I'm at 167 and a size 10/12 now, and I still sometimes look at sizes 16 and 18's thinking they might fit.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have been logging everything for 124 days, in this time I lost 34# and went from a size 16 to 12. I exercise 6 days a week and do my best to stay within my calories. Stay strong! You will get there.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I started out at a 18W and 1X. I was in 16's and XL after having lost about 25-30 pounds. Now I am in a loose 14 and rounding the corner to 12. You know what is amazing? Is having options. When you are a 16, that's the biggest size you are going to find "regular" clothes in. But now I'm a 12/14, I have options! If I don't like the way 14s fit, I can try on a 12 or a 16. It's really incredible. You are going to be there in no time!
  • clszewczyk
    clszewczyk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the size 16s in the lane bryant are just so much better than oh let's say the 18/20's from anywhere else. They seem to be cut in such a way that they pinch in some places and sag in others. Just keep trying! It'll get better. I'm in the same boat myself.
  • Me813
    Me813 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on the second leg of my journey, loosing 58 lbs last year and after injury and putting back on 10, I'm back at it. I was a size 22, now a 12-14. I remember the difficulty of shopping in plus size sections or stores, your selections are quite limited and everything is made out of a tent it seems like. However, I was not prepared for my first time in the " lower sized" sections. The selections are overwhelming AND I LOVE TO SHOP! It took me constant time in the gym and eating healthy and about 10 months before I could shop out of the plus size section and feel comfortable. Even at a solid 14 it seems strange. Most designers seem to design for the skinny woman and not the real woman. Just keep moving forward, you will get there. When you do, take on a new adventure and find some favorite boutique stores instead of major department stores to start with and then let the shopping begin!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I started out at a 18W and 1X. I was in 16's and XL after having lost about 25-30 pounds. Now I am in a loose 14 and rounding the corner to 12. You know what is amazing? Is having options. When you are a 16, that's the biggest size you are going to find "regular" clothes in. But now I'm a 12/14, I have options! If I don't like the way 14s fit, I can try on a 12 or a 16. It's really incredible. You are going to be there in no time!

This is almost me, exactly. I have just found that some 12s fit, after losing 40ish lbs total. I was at about 15-20 lbs down for a long while wearing a 16 and shopping in the normal section. I will add that now that i am exercising, I fit in a smaller size at the same weight--has to do with more muscle and better proportion, I think. So I encourage you to add some strength training if you aren't already.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's nice when it happens, but I'm still getting mails and emails from Lane Bryant and Avenue all the time now... it's annoying!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I was just at the edge of needing plus size stores/fits. I was also about a size 16/18 and an XL/1X or XXL top.

Just somewhat recently, I've gotten down to where I can *usually* wear the biggest size at most stores or in the "regular" section of department stores. Depending on all the usual factors, I'm a 14/16 and L/XL top now.. It took me about 25-30lbs to get there.

I'm still waiting on the day that I can go into some of the cuter/younger/higher end stores and shop off the rack - like Anthropologie, The Limited, H&M, etc. Right now I'm good at places like Gap, Ann Taylor, etc, but I want ALL the options. I mean, not like juniors' clothes - my boobs and butt would never fit into them and I'm WAY too old to care if I can shop at Abercrombie, lol. I just want to be able to walk into any store that is age-appropriate for my 32-year-old mom-of-two professional life and at least be able to try stuff on (whether it looks good or not).