Lost 19 lbs in a months and a half!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This site said to stay under 1200 pounds by the info I put in. I still eat plenty. This morning I ate a banana and a toaster strudel. I just try to stay under that amount of calories:)
    And no additional exercises.

Have you not noticed that every time you complete a day with under 1200 calories, a big warning pops up?

Dear, congratulations so far but you are doing this in an unhealthy way that is sacrificing muscle, organ, and bone mass unnecessarily.

You have to eat more.

If you're just going with 1200 because MFP told you 1200, reset your goals to 1 lb a week instead of 2 lbs a week. 2 lbs a week is horrifically inappropriate for someone who is not obese, and you are not close to obese.
  • aquakiara
    aquakiara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Alright, well thanks for the advice.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Plus i'm about to make me a hot pocket lol. I promise, no starving myself here! I never under eat. I eat 4 meals a day.
    No reason to jump to conclusions.

Ok, apparently our advice didn't stick the first time around. So here's the non-sugar-coated version: if you keep eating under 1200 calories you will end up skinny fat. If that's your goal, then go for it. If not, refer to the advice above.

Where is the like button..we only do this out of concern. I tell my own sister the same thing....she got it finally.

I would like to ask the OP...what size are you in? What are your goals? only weight loss? or be in a certian size or bf%?

ETA the hot pocket doesn't mean anything...I am your height and I am steadily losing weight too...but eat 1600 -1800 calories a day...
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    I eat an average of around 1300 a day. Some days it's a little below. I just try to stay around 1200.
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Before I had my son I was a size 5. After I had him I was wearing a size 12. Now around size 8. I am hoping to lose 15 more pounds and get to my size 5 again. That is my goal.
    And no I meant im not starving myself obviously because I have already eaten a banana, a toaster strudel, orange juice, and now a hot pocket today.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and started at 178 and am now 159! I had my son a year and a half ago and finally decided to do something about it! My goal weight is 140. I am so proud of myself!
    By the way I am wearing a bathing suit in both pics!

286scyb.jpg

The suit on the right fits you much better. Great job!
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. Just a thought though...I'm an inch taller than you and started at 177 and I am now 158 (pretty similar stats). It took me 4 months to lose 18 lbs but I was able to eat a lot more calories and lost more fat than lean mass. Quick losses mean you are losing more muscle than you probably want to.
    My goal weight is similar to yours as well and since we don't have much to lose its better to aim for .5 to 1 lb a week loss.
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Thank you! The one on the left was the biggest size they had and it still was too little:/
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Before I had my son I was a size 5. After I had him I was wearing a size 12. Now around size 8. I am hoping to lose 15 more pounds and get to my size 5 again. That is my goal.
    And no I meant im not starving myself obviously because I have already eaten a banana, a toaster strudel, orange juice, and now a hot pocket today.

You really need to consume more protein. You want to lose fat, not muscle. However, your large calorie deficits and lack of protein intake are both contributing to the apparent fact that much of your weight loss is muscle, organ, and bone instead of fat. High protein intake and strength training are how you retain muscle, organ, and bone mass and lose fat instead.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I am in a size 8 as well...I weigh 165....my goal is a size 6 should be there in about 10lbs...

As for what you are eating holy crap to me that is starving...

My breakfast was 2 thick slices of bread, an egg, 30g of cheese and 3.5 oz of glazed ham and 1 1/4 cup of skim milk...750 calories...I have continued to have soup and yogurt and will splurge and have dQ for dinner and another yogurt and probably chocolate later...

If you really are more interested in a size as opposed to weight try weight lifting and eating a decent amount of food...as mentioned above...we have similar goals yet I do it with more food....so I suspect you can too. It will take you a bit longer then you want I suspect but worth it in the long run as you wont lose muscle along with fat...as one poster said you will end up "skinny fat"...
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job!!!! I would up the protein a bit though. Good luck!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

I don't think any of us said you were starving yourself. We are saying that eating under or even 1200 calories is probably way too little for you. I believe you will be much happier with your end result if you look into your BMR/TDEE calculations instead of just going by what MFP spits out when you tell it you want to lose 2 lbs a week.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Starving doesn't necessarily mean "not eating at all." Anorexics would die rather quickly if they went without all sustenance completely. And guess what? Anorexia doesn't mean, "Hungry all the time." The human body adapts, so even hunger isn't always a sign you're starving yourself (after a period of undereating, the body will readjust to feel less hungry).

Underfueling your body is still starving it, albeit slowly. Eating "Four meals," if it equals under 1200, would still be starving yourself in the long-term.

People can be fine eating at 1200 for a certain period of time, but young women (still developing) and with only 20 lbs to lose are doing more harm than good eating that low (or lower).

You say you try to keep around 1300-1200; okay. That's certainly different than trying to stay "under 1200" as you said, but as a 5'7", now 159 lb woman, that's still a bit low.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^ This link is a good resource many people have been using the last several months. It boils things down into pretty easy paragraphs.

Overall: You should eat more, particularly with only ~20 more pounds to lose. .5 lb loss a week is probably healthiest. Why go slower when you can lose "faster"?

Eating more will help you lose slower, and keep muscle. Muscle, bone density, and organ tissue--you can lose all these things if you lose too fast, and eating more calories will allow you to keep these things, give you energy, keep you nourished, AND still help you lose body fat.

Adding in weight lifting on top of walking would be great, too, but it might be easier to take it one step at a time: in this case, gradually upping calories.
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options

I am in a size 8 as well...I weigh 165....my goal is a size 6 should be there in about 10lbs...

As for what you are eating holy crap to me that is starving...

My breakfast was 2 thick slices of bread, an egg, 30g of cheese and 3.5 oz of glazed ham and 1 1/4 cup of skim milk...750 calories...I have continued to have soup and yogurt and will splurge and have dQ for dinner and another yogurt and probably chocolate later...

If you really are more interested in a size as opposed to weight try weight lifting and eating a decent amount of food...as mentioned above...we have similar goals yet I do it with more food....so I suspect you can too. It will take you a bit longer then you want I suspect but worth it in the long run as you wont lose muscle along with fat...as one poster said you will end up "skinny fat"...

Thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate it. I definitely wouldn't want to lose weight in an unhealthy way. I just thought it was healthy! :)
  • dzahner3
    dzahner3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the haters out there. It sounds like to me their just jealous of you. Your doing awesome!! I hope you stick with it and meet your goal!
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options

Starving doesn't necessarily mean "not eating at all." Anorexics would die rather quickly if they went without all sustenance completely. And guess what? Anorexia doesn't mean, "Hungry all the time." The human body adapts, so even hunger isn't always a sign you're starving yourself (after a period of undereating, the body will readjust to feel less hungry).

Underfueling your body is still starving it, albeit slowly. Eating "Four meals," if it equals under 1200, would still be starving yourself in the long-term.

People can be fine eating at 1200 for a certain period of time, but young women (still developing) and with only 20 lbs to lose are doing more harm than good eating that low (or lower).

You say you try to keep around 1300-1200; okay. That's certainly different than trying to stay "under 1200" as you said, but as a 5'7", now 159 lb woman, that's still a bit low.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^ This link is a good resource many people have been using the last several months. It boils things down into pretty easy paragraphs.

Overall: You should eat more, particularly with only ~20 more pounds to lose. .5 lb loss a week is probably healthiest. Why go slower when you can lose "faster"?

Eating more will help you lose slower, and keep muscle. Muscle, bone density, and organ tissue--you can lose all these things if you lose too fast, and eating more calories will allow you to keep these things, give you energy, keep you nourished, AND still help you lose body fat.

Adding in weight lifting on top of walking would be great, too, but it might be easier to take it one step at a time: in this case, gradually upping calories.

Thank you! I will definitely change my goals a bit. I just didn't know I was being unhealthy.
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Don't listen to the haters out there. It sounds like to me their just jealous of you. Your doing awesome!! I hope you stick with it and meet your goal!

Haha thanks:)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm jealous because I lost all my pregnancy weight in a healthy manner. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Giving someone advice so that they can achieve similar results =/= jealousy.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Are you kidding me?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!