Replies

• arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Tilapia, Swai, and flounder.
  • DWW529
    DWW529 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    As a New Englander transplanted to the Mid West, I've given up on a lot of "fresh seafood" and stick with frozen. I buy a lot of frozen salmon and tilapia.

Easy prep for salmon, Brush on a mix of pepper, dijon and balsamic. Quite tasty, and of course you can't go wrong with lemon and pepper.

Tilapia is really versitile, there's a very common recipe for "mango salsa". It's super yummy and my kids love it. Great for fish tacos or just as a topping.

Go fish!!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    "so a fish that cleans the poop out of ponds used to grow other fish is different in a different country?"
    [/quote]
    Exactly why I don't eat tilapia. Ever see that episode of Dirty Jobs?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    As a New Englander transplanted to the Mid West, I've given up on a lot of "fresh seafood" and stick with frozen. I buy a lot of frozen salmon and tilapia.

Easy prep for salmon, Brush on a mix of pepper, dijon and balsamic. Quite tasty, and of course you can't loose with lemon and pepper.

Tilapia is really versitile, there's a very common recipe for "mango salsa". It's super yummy and my kids love it. Great for fish tacos or just as a topping.

Go fish!!

surely there's some channel catfish farms around (though I think most comes out of southern mississippi for US sources).
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Talapia is good and cheap i get it frozen at Wal Mart

yep about 7 bucks a bag and individually wrapped so you can thaw out what you want one or two at a time. Baked with some lemon or lemon pepper and lemon greek yogurt. Yummy :)

If you are looking for the ones at Walmart it will have "Product of China" on the bag :frown:

Sometimes you eat what you can afford and be happy you can afford that :grumble:
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    didn't have the funky pond water taste

that's why everything in the land of racoon keysters is fried...

I don't by any seafood product that says it's from Asia anymore. They ALL seem to have that weird taste, shrimp from there is really bad/funky tasting too.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh seafood a couple time a month but regularly eat canned fish because it's cheap and easy. Mashed sardines on avocado toast. Smoked clams with pasta and veggies. Smoked oysters on crackers with mustard. And any of them are good mixed into a veggie sauté on top of rice or something. Lots of options.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    i guess it all depends on where you live to what is cheap... In MD I can get a bag of frozen tilapia containing 8 4oz servings for $5.88 and I can get fresh tilapia for $3.99 per pound fresh.

salmon runs between 6.99 and 10.99 per pound fresh- dont know about frozen prices because frozen salmon is IMO nasty.\

shrimp can stretch a long way if you buy the right size... i buy medium shrimp for salads, larger shrimp for shrimp tacos, etc. those prices vary from 9.99 a bag to 27.99 sometimes.

mussels seem to always be the same price 3.99per 2 lb bag.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Tinned pilchards in tomato sauce...cheap and very tasty ;)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'm getting tired of chicken and pasta, so I want to try to eat fish. I have no idea how much it costs. I need something that is cheap and healthy.

Chicken of the Sea.

6a00e5529de4af8834017743dc2692970d-800wi.jpg
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is always a good go to fish and usually easily found, very versatile.

21525558.png
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    tilapia is really only "healthy" because of its macro breakdown. It really doesn't have anything special nutritionally to offer (had to be said, and i eat it a lot for this reason).
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    If you live near an Aldi, they have wild caught salmon, 4 pieces is less than $5. Much better for you than farmed raised.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Cod is white, dense yet flakey. I also eat a lot of plain Greek yogurt and egg whites for protein.
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've really been getting into Mahi-mahi lately. It's isn't that cheap but I'll pay for quality any day.
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've really been getting into Mahi-mahi lately. It's isn't that cheap but I'll pay for quality any day.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Tuna .. cheap and reasonable.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    have a fresh seafood seller down the road from me. Sea bass, medium sized shrimp,

Fish tacos.

I personally do not buy tilapia at any cost as it is farm raised fish that feeds off the excrement of tank it is in.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    don't forget Shrimp & scallops! I get mine from Trader Joe's and like that they sell in smaller packs.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Maybe not an option for you, but I have family and friends that go ice fishing so we eat fresh caught fish for way less than store prices.