Does anyone else feel cold when they diet?

Options
I tell you, I tend to feel cold when I diet. Really sucks in the wintertime. Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You'll find it's a pretty common issue. I think has a lot to do with eating in a deficit - since we're not giving our bodies full maintenance energy, it pulls back on certain functions, and one of those is keeping us comfortably warm. Since it takes a ton of energy but isn't fully essential, it tends to be one of the first things to go.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm always freaking cold now a days. I just thought it was because I lost a cozy layer if fat.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time. After I'd lost about 30 lbs, I noticed that 85 degrees really didn't feel "hot" anymore. After I'd lost 50, it was even worse. I'm still cold, almost all the time, and I can't wait for summer to come back.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am ALWAYS cold.
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm glad someone asked! I was just thinking today that my hands have been frozen a lot lately. They use to always be warm.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold. However, that might have something to do with the fact that I live in Minnesota...
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You'll find it's a pretty common issue. I think has a lot to do with eating in a deficit - since we're not giving our bodies full maintenance energy, it pulls back on certain functions, and one of those is keeping us comfortably warm. Since it takes a ton of energy but isn't fully essential, it tends to be one of the first things to go.

This is from some weight loss clinic. I found it by typing "Science behind dieting and feeling cold" into the magic box.

Without comment on the clinic itself, it seems to make sense some of the things pointed out in the answer.

http://www.lindora.com/faqs.aspx?faqID=125
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Me me me!!!!!! I always feel cold so I have hoodies e everywhere ;)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am ALWAYS cold.

Pretty much this. I hate air conditioning .
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yep... common problem. I think it's both the metabolic issue (not eating as many calories/not as much energy) plus losing fat. I live in layers, even in the summer time!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am freezing all the time and my surgeon says it's because I've lost a 153 pound blanket! :smile: Good problem to have but it's making this extra cold winter REALLY cold for me!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I tell you, I tend to feel cold when I diet. Really sucks in the wintertime. Anyone else have this issue?
    I've had this issue my entire life no matter how I eat, and regardless of whether I am fat or fit.
  • blackmax78
    blackmax78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    not only have you lost fat for insulation, you do not burn as many calories moving around, your body will need time to readjust to that... given time it will make more brown fat that can convert fat to heat.
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I'm known as the "blanket hog" in our house, because I'm always cold regardless to season.
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes. I went from having no problem walking around in the winter down to about 20 degrees in shorts and a t-shirt to being absolutely freezing all the time. I now can't leave the house without dressing in a thermal, thick hooded sweatshirt, and a winter jacket.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly cold unless I'm under a huge blanket or working out.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I love your 5th Element username.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Yes, thank GOD, and even after I have lost for a while, after Im chilled, or cold..... but I am going through early (10yrs now at age48 i see nothing early) but dr. says early menopause.... So I love the chilly times, because I am over heated soooo much.

I think as well as being under deficit, you loose layers of fat that kept you on the warmer side. My mother had the GBS (Gastric Bypass Surgery) 9 or 10 yrs ago, went from 380+ down to 120ish. 5'2". She is cold year around. I always have lap blankets around my house for myself or anyone who would like one.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I love your 5th Element username.

Thanks! :smile:
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options

YES! Whenever I have a week when I'm losing, I'm constantly shivering, all over. I mean it's not like teeth chattering, hands are shaking, but I'm very cold in my hands and feet and my muscles tense and shiver. It's very hard to fall asleep because I'm so cold at night.

I've always been very warm. It's always been that I get hot easily, but I'm freaking freezing when I eat at deficit. I'm lucky I live in a warm area, but even when it's up to the 60s & 70s outside, it doesn't help. I might as well be in a snowstorm.