Advice on hotel living please

Options
Hi
So starting this weekend I am going to be living away from home in a hotel Sunday evening until Friday for work. This is going to be at least a 4 month assignment and its really exciting in most ways but I'm really worried its going to be really hard to not gain weight let alone lose any.
I can expense my evening meal to my company if I buy it in a restaurant (and can't afford to pass that up!), breakfast is also covered and there is no fridge or microwave in my room even if I did pass that option over and buy my own food elsewhere.

I am going to join the local gym to try and increase my daily calorie limit as much as I can but that's not really a solution to the diet/nutrition problem.

Any advice would be really appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If you need to live off restaurant food, ask for nutrition guidelines or look them up online. Make smart choices. If you eat snacks, take your digital food scale with you so that you can ensure accurate portions. Log all your food. When you're home on the weekends weigh yourself.

Losing weight has nothing to do with circumstances and is about making smart choices.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Every week for 4 months you'll be in a hotel? I'd invest in a tiny $50 microwave then and tote it back and forth. Buy some Nordicware microwave cookware and some instant oats, microwave-in-bag rices, mac n cheese, mashed potato bowls, etc.

Bring a cooler for your cold stuff and replenish with ice from the ice machine down the hall. Bring cold cuts, make sandwiches.

If you must eat something out every night, portion it and put it in your cooler and save for a snack later.
  • bluesky248
    bluesky248 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been in the same situation but a microwave is like $50.00 and a small fridge say $70.00..worth buying and putting in the room, that's what we did, you will get tired of eating out fast and most companies will reimburse grocery receipts or a per diem/day for food expense, worth checking with hr if in doubt.
    burner comes in handy too but beware the "odd smell" cooking lol, they burner is handy for boiling eggs veges etc. paper plates get old but makes clean up easy etc.
    too many temptations at restaurants, I know lol. anyway, good luck!
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others... buy a cheapie microwave and bring a cooler to store your stuff in. I'd expense a meal or two to the grocery store, too. Ask the waiters if you can order a half meal when dining out or save the other half for the next day.
  • PennyCrow
    PennyCrow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also travel full time for my job. Most places do have a fridge that you can "rent". If not, a cheap ice chest is a good thing to get. You can usually find a Styrofoam one for a couple of dollars. Replace the ice daily. At the suggestion of another MFP poster, I bought a crock pot/slow cooker. I have to stay over this weekend (not the norm) so tonight I came back to my room with a roast and veggies waiting for me. I do take advantage of the hotel's free breakfast in the mornings. For lunch, I rely on either a meal replacement bar or make good choices in the cafeteria in the building.

Hotels that are use to business travelers usually will hold a bag for you over the weekend. So, I check my crock pot and Styrofoam ice chest at the desk when I leave on Thursday night and pick it up when I return on Sunday night. It has worked for me. I cook my meat and veggies this way. Most times, I cook the meat and add the veggies when I get back in the afternoon.

Good luck! Let me now how it works out for you.

Penny
  • Gewatson84
    Gewatson84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No fridge or microwave is going to make it really tough. I survived a month on those ramen noodle cups, fresh fruit, peanut butter, bread, and tuna "lunch kits" and it was MISERABLE. Looking back I could really have done without the ramen. If you could get your hands on a microwave it becomes a little more diverse since you can add hot food into the mix. I learned a lot about microwave cooking in my travels for work.

I would start planning ahead, look at online menus when they are available and look at the nutrition information. Use this in your meal planning process. Many restaurants have "lighter" or "healthier" options marked on the menu and if you've already looked at the nutrition info you should be ready to go. My downfall with restaurant eating is that even when I plan I always have that weakness towards something on the menu be it a burger or even worse something like carbohydrate stuffed with carbohydrate, fried; bonus kryptonite points if it is perogies or covered in something sinfully sweet.

It looks like lunch is not covered. I would plan bag lunch ala school days. PBJ, fresh fruit, packaged tuna which can make sandwiches or eat with crackers. There are options in shelf stable condiments, mayonaise is a surprising one. I really don't recommend shelf stable milk/soy milk options unless there is a cooler available at work if you don't like to drink it room temp. Some vegetables keep ok for a few days without refridgeration if they're not cut. Tomatoes, small onions, mixed with tuna makes a tastey option. I also found that quick oats ("instant" "minute" what ever your preferred brand calls them) can be added to this to make it more substantial, it is also good on crackers. I also kept in my room "treats" like trail mix with dried fruit and a little bit of chocolate, to keep me from raiding the hotel vending machine at night.
    If you're not meeting your desired/needed calorie limit you might try supplement shakes if you're into those.

Good luck!
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the hotel have a gym you can use? Most do. Just make healthy choices, the same healthy choices you would make if you were living at home.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Fruit, fresh and dried! Keep some packets of peanut butter and tuna (not to eat together) so you have an option if you don't want to go out at night.
  • Cat232013
    Cat232013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to make my own good lunches and snacks and try and pick healthy options from the breakfast. I'm not sure how feasible travelling with a microwave/ slow cooker will be lol but I'll look in to it. And I've had a look for the menu's online and can see what they offer but not the calorie content/ nutritional info is - I guess i'll just have to estimate as best I can and try and keep it low.

Thank you all!

Edit - the hotel itself doesn't have a gym or pool but I'm joining the one down the road. Gives me something to do in the evenings as well :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I lived in hotel room for 2 weeks, they had a microwave and a refrigerator. I had quick oatmeal for breakfast, sandwich stuff for lunches and microwavable meals, rotisserie chicken (ready to eat) with single serving rice bowls that you just throw in the microwave, small veggie trays (like the party kind w/dip in the middle) for dinners and snacks/fruits and we never stepped into a fast food/restaurants. :happy:

ETA: This hotel had no gym, so I walked around the town for exercise. I actually lost a few pounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're going to basically be living out of a hotel for months, won't your company pony up for a room with a kitchenette? When I used to travel like that for work i always had a kitchenette...at least a microwave and fridge so that I could have my own food. I'd seriously press the issue if it were me. There's nothing inherently wrong with restaurant food, but I just couldn't live off of it day in and day out for months...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Typically hotel restaurants have healthy options though... I think you'll be fine. I agree with asking for the nutrition information first thing if possible, I mean they're going to see you a lot, lol. And don't hesitate to ask for grilled meat instead of whatever they make if needed, no sauce, no butter, dressing on the side etc... I think it's definitely doable. I'm actually a bit jealous, not having to cook for 4 months... Heaven.
  • anson808
    anson808 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have no problem living off of restaurant food and in a hotel - if you make healthy choices for food, and continue to work out.

When my hotel has a gym, I use that. When it doesn't I bring a set of bands for resistance training. I bring my videos for core, and cardio work.

Heck, when I'm traveling, a lot of times, I'm in better shape because there isn't anything to do except work and workout. :p
  • Cat232013
    Cat232013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Heck, when I'm traveling, a lot of times, I'm in better shape because there isn't anything to do except work and workout. :p

I really hope it ends up like that!
  • pelkins
    Options
    Try to stick to places that offer nutritional guidelines, as mentioned above. I travel quite frequently for work and I try to utilize the evening downtime (without all the distractions of home) to get really solid workouts in. What else am I going to do?

For the hotel breakfasts, be careful to not overload on Carbs. When I travel I get a 2lb container of whey protein and a shaker bottle and use that as breakfast with a piece of fruit normally. Then lunch is normally more protein and a healthy snack, dried fruit, PB, hummus and chips pack. Something with a little bit of carbs to add to the protein.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER, take a water bottle with you everywhere and stay hydrated. Then in the evenings just be mindful that most restaurant food is high in sodium and difficult to track. Do the best you can to accurately record what goes in and try to compensate for any caloric increase on the gym floor.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of taking some protein powder with you, so you can have more variety and still have some protein (put it in oatmeal etc). Hotels typically have eggs for breakfast though, so you can have some of that... Counting calories is going to suck though.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've had to live out of hotel rooms often over many years, as I have done contract work for over 25 years.

Portion control over restaurant food is useful (the styrofoam cooler to keep the doggie bags in).

However, there were a number of months that the place I stayed at had bacon and sausage every day (all you could eat). I tried to eat just a few strips per breakfast, but ate bacon/sausage almost every day.

I have been getting yearly blood tests for years. My numbers moved into good ranges after I took control of my portions AND ate less (not none) junk food (also achieved weight goal). But then, WHAM.....a blood test after about 3 months of eating that bacon and sausage every day, and my doctor started pushing statins again.

Lesson learned. Portion control of restaurant food can work for weight control, BUT.....be aware that lack of quality control can eventually put you in the hospital even if obesity doesn't.

I still eat bacon and sausage, but no more than about a pound per month, and then, in small quantities per serving(a few crispy pieces in my veggies helps them go down).

Good luck OP. Don't let the "free" dinners miss-lead you. They are not free, when you factor in the fitness impacts.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used do travel arrangements at my last job. We had some vegetarians who would insist on a room with a small kitchen. They would usually find the hotel themselves & I can tell you they always came up with something less expensive than what the company allowed. We would expense groceries & that was also cheaper. So shop around you may find something to your and the company's advantage. Make up a story, they don't need to know you're on a diet. Good luck :smile:
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Do you have to stay in that hotel? If not, can you find one that has a microwave and refrigerator available? Or does that hotel have them for an extra fee? If you're able to buy a cheap one of each and put in the room and then have them hold it for you the 2 days you're not there, that works too.

I travel roughly 70% of the time and most of the time I can get a microwave and fridge or at least a fridge and I can walk downstairs to their microwave. I will buy things like Evol bowls that hit my calorie goals and sound good to me, popcorn for snacks, etc. and I then expense it. My company covers all my meals when they make me travel; we're just supposed to be reasonably frugal - and eating in versus eating out is typically more frugal! When I want to eat out, I try whenever possible to make sure I did more exercise that day, that I reviewed the menu in advance when possible, and mapped out potential options. I always give myself multiple options so I can pick based on my immediate mood.

Personally, I eat a freebie bf in the hotel (Hampton Inn) that is light typically and then I may not eat again until dinner. Hampton's tend to have fresh fruit sitting out though so I may grab a banana or apple or something to take. Though I do also have options for eating lunch too if I want it. I just usually don't when on the road -- I want to bang out my day, work out some more, and sit in my hotel room eating dinner and watching Lost Girl or something.

If you've got to go out to fast food, research the menus online and the nutritional info. I can easily do McDonald's or Taco Bell in my sleep now and not go over on calories. It was mostly just learning to control my psychological food monster that was saying "zomfg, away from home, splurge, eat, have TWO." :)
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Many hotels offer microwaves and/or mini fridges upon request. I was "on the road" for a year...living off restraunt food killed (that and the drinking). If you end up eating out for dinner on a regular basis maybe consider chain restaraunts that offer "lighter" menu options or going to a diner as breakfast food can be healthier and easier on the waistline and I personally love breakfast for dinner.

Good call on joining the local gym!