Lost 19 lbs in a months and a half!

Options

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the haters out there. It sounds like to me their just jealous of you. Your doing awesome!! I hope you stick with it and meet your goal!

^^^^ NO! It's true concern, that she is harming herself in the process of her weightloss!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the haters out there. It sounds like to me their just jealous of you. Your doing awesome!! I hope you stick with it and meet your goal!

Dude, just QFT.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    We don't hate her. We just don't want her to lose lean body mass and then have heck keeping her weight down due to that loss. I think she looks wonderful. I do think she could do what she's doing a touch more slowly and be doing it healthier though.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Before I had my son I was a size 5. After I had him I was wearing a size 12. Now around size 8. I am hoping to lose 15 more pounds and get to my size 5 again. That is my goal.
    And no I meant im not starving myself obviously because I have already eaten a banana, a toaster strudel, orange juice, and now a hot pocket today.

Starving doesn't necessarily mean "not eating at all." Anorexics would die rather quickly if they went without all sustenance completely. And guess what? Anorexia doesn't mean, "Hungry all the time." The human body adapts, so even hunger isn't always a sign you're starving yourself (after a period of undereating, the body will readjust to feel less hungry).

Underfueling your body is still starving it, albeit slowly. Eating "Four meals," if it equals under 1200, would still be starving yourself in the long-term.

People can be fine eating at 1200 for a certain period of time, but young women (still developing) and with only 20 lbs to lose are doing more harm than good eating that low (or lower).

You say you try to keep around 1300-1200; okay. That's certainly different than trying to stay "under 1200" as you said, but as a 5'7", now 159 lb woman, that's still a bit low.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^ This link is a good resource many people have been using the last several months. It boils things down into pretty easy paragraphs.

Overall: You should eat more, particularly with only ~20 more pounds to lose. .5 lb loss a week is probably healthiest. Why go slower when you can lose "faster"?

Eating more will help you lose slower, and keep muscle. Muscle, bone density, and organ tissue--you can lose all these things if you lose too fast, and eating more calories will allow you to keep these things, give you energy, keep you nourished, AND still help you lose body fat.

Adding in weight lifting on top of walking would be great, too, but it might be easier to take it one step at a time: in this case, gradually upping calories.

Thank you! I will definitely change my goals a bit. I just didn't know I was being unhealthy.

You're not alone! So many people plug things into MFP and expect it to have their best interests at heart. Unfortunately, MFP sets EVERYONE at 1200 when they say, "Lose 2lbs a week or more!" Who doesn't want to drop all the weight ASAP? It hopes that the "WARNING! EATING TOO LOW!" message will be enough to deter people from eating too low, when it often recommends eating too low in the first place.

Setting it to 1lb or .5lb loss a week can help take away the confusion if the link I showed you is a bit overwhelming. (Though with you, .5 is still probably best!).

Unfortunately, weight loss is full of ups and downs and conflicting information. Luckily, the forums have many resources discussing TDEE and BMR (important acronyms to know while you lose weight; it determines calories you burn, calories you burn just laying around all day, etc!)

Good luck! I'm glad you were open to hearing what we had to say. We only ever say it out of concern, and for some of us, because we've been down the road you were doing (and it doesn't end well!).

ETA: As you gradually up your calories (maybe 1300 one week, 1400 the next, etc.). DON'T be afraid of any scale gains. It takes the body a short time to readjust, and any small fluctuations are most likely water weight. Just don't want you to get discouraged IF this happens!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Before I had my son I was a size 5. After I had him I was wearing a size 12. Now around size 8. I am hoping to lose 15 more pounds and get to my size 5 again. That is my goal.
    And no I meant im not starving myself obviously because I have already eaten a banana, a toaster strudel, orange juice, and now a hot pocket today.

Starving doesn't necessarily mean "not eating at all." Anorexics would die rather quickly if they went without all sustenance completely. And guess what? Anorexia doesn't mean, "Hungry all the time." The human body adapts, so even hunger isn't always a sign you're starving yourself (after a period of undereating, the body will readjust to feel less hungry).

Underfueling your body is still starving it, albeit slowly. Eating "Four meals," if it equals under 1200, would still be starving yourself in the long-term.

People can be fine eating at 1200 for a certain period of time, but young women (still developing) and with only 20 lbs to lose are doing more harm than good eating that low (or lower).

You say you try to keep around 1300-1200; okay. That's certainly different than trying to stay "under 1200" as you said, but as a 5'7", now 159 lb woman, that's still a bit low.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^ This link is a good resource many people have been using the last several months. It boils things down into pretty easy paragraphs.

Overall: You should eat more, particularly with only ~20 more pounds to lose. .5 lb loss a week is probably healthiest. Why go slower when you can lose "faster"?

Eating more will help you lose slower, and keep muscle. Muscle, bone density, and organ tissue--you can lose all these things if you lose too fast, and eating more calories will allow you to keep these things, give you energy, keep you nourished, AND still help you lose body fat.

Adding in weight lifting on top of walking would be great, too, but it might be easier to take it one step at a time: in this case, gradually upping calories.

Thank you! I will definitely change my goals a bit. I just didn't know I was being unhealthy.

Listen to these people, they know what they're talking about.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

:huh:

*sigh*

*headdesk*

*fallfloor*

*ragequit*

ETA:

And yay, OP, for being willing to listen to the sound advice you've received in response.

So in summary:

1. Yes, you look great. Congrats on making the commitment to doing something and for sticking with it.
    2. Make adjustments as necessary (as provided in the responses)

:drinker:
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

:huh:

*sigh*

*headdesk*

*fallfloor*

*ragequit*

Wow, sounds like a hardcore raid night!

Anyway OP, congratz on the loss but im actually more congratulatory and happy that you've take peoples sincere advice here and are choosing to keep yourself healthy over dropping a lot of weight fast. Many people would have just fought back and told people they were jealous but you listened and that's awesome. What a great inspiration!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Someone got a wrong conception of what hating and what helping is!!
    Both the people that gave really good advice show on their tickers that they know what they are taking about!

To the op: your progress picture looks great! And when you stick to the advice you got (which you already said you will) you will look even better at the end of this, it will just take a little longer than you hoped...

I'm sure everyone on here will be happy to befriend you and answer anymore questions :)
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I am not one to ignore good advice! I just really thought what I was doing was healthy. I was never wanting to starve my body. All advice is greatly appreciated:)
  • daniellemccullough7
    Options
    You make this look way too easy...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I am not one to ignore good advice! I just really thought what I was doing was healthy. I was never wanting to starve my body. All advice is greatly appreciated:)

Seriously, this post (and your overall response in this thread) is restoring my (previously lost) hope for humanity.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Seriously, this post (and your overall response in this thread) is restoring my (previously lost) hope for humanity.

This. OP, I could kiss you. :smooched:

Sincere good luck, and don't hesitate to PM many of us who responded OR ask the forums for advice in the future!

Also, I used to live in Pensacola and miss the crap out of Mobile!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Agreed. An OP that is receptive to sound advice rather than combative? Refreshing. Good luck OP - you got this. :flowerforyou:
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    great progress
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Aw thanks everyone, you're too kind! I could tell you all meant well so me being rude would have been pointless!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Aw thanks everyone, you're too kind! I could tell you all meant well so me being rude would have been pointless!

You're a smart young woman. Your son is lucky to have a Mom like you. I really wish that someone had given me the advice you just got when I was your age. I have spent my adult life yo yoing up and down - all because I thought I had to eat less than 1200 calories. I was so wrong.

I'm doing it right now - thanks to some of the people that just offered you advice. Good luck to you.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

This is almost unheard of here.

Good luck to you. I can't wait to see your next update! :drinker:
  • Vaidyanatha
    Options
    Ok so it's fast? It was a month and a half. Even if it was a crash diet. She is almost done. Ok so not the healthiest? As long as she doesn't continue this for months not a big deal. People can fast for 30 days without long term consequences. That being said. Good job. Make sure you look at how to stay healthy and YAY! for you!
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options

You're a smart young woman. Your son is lucky to have a Mom like you. I really wish that someone had given me the advice you just got when I was your age. I have spent my adult life yo yoing up and down - all because I thought I had to eat less than 1200 calories. I was so wrong.

I'm doing it right now - thanks to some of the people that just offered you advice. Good luck to you.

Thank you! That was nice to hear:) The old me would have probably been rude, but having a child changed my life! I have learned to be a better and healthier person for him.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Nice loss, you look beautiful. Keep up the good work. It's hard to figure out the right number for calorie intake. I'm your height and when I was losing I kept intake between 1200-1400 a day which set off a whole group of folks, but it worked for me. In maintenance I don't usually eat much more than 1500 a day and that works for me. I don't feel deprived, I have an active lifestyle, and it works. I don't lose, I don't gain. Find that right spot for yourself and keep at it!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!