First day of Stronglifts 5x5... Little bit of help please?

Options
Hi guys, first session today and loved it... Just found it a lil too easy as I am 6ft 6 and about 265-270lbs i did the weights the app mentioned which were 22.5kilo squat, 22.5kilo bench and 30kilo for the barbell rolls.
Couple of questions...

Can I up the kilos to what feels right or should i follow religiously... Dont get me wrong i may feel it tomorrow and will regret saying this but can i do it to either whats comfortable/ should I up it to my absolute maximum or should I plough on witht he set weight plan on the app?

2nd question... As i am so tall the rolls felt really hard to get the form right... The weights were to low and I felt I couldn't straighten my back properly for each lift... I bent my knees to try and get down a lil more but it just felt out of reach as I am so tall. Could I put the weights on some sort of step?

Apologies if these are ridiculous questions!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    The weight is going to build pretty quickly, and your skeletal system needs to adapt. You can go either way, but if this is the first time you have been into lifting I'd stick with the program. If you're not new to weights then by all means, increase the weight.

Rigger
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    This is right up my alley, ok:

#1) No, don't up the weight any more. FOLLOW THE PROGRAM. You're going to feel like a ***** at first, and it's not going to tax you, but starting light is a virtue in lifting. It gives you room to grow, and for your body to adapt. Nevermind that you need the time to get used to the movements even if they feel easy now. (i.e. I was even being careful, but probably did too much weight too soon... I got nasty tendonitis and I'm in physical therapy now). If you're smart, you'll put up with the light weight and increment up as prescribed.

If you want a bit more of a challenge, while the weight is still relatively light, say, sub-67.5kg, try going for 10 reps on your last set instead of just 5. That should keep things interesting for your first few weeks while you're still working in the starter ranges. Don't throw the weight though, control it so you don't &*^% your joints.

#2) So you're talking about the deadlift and the barbell row. Yeah, this is a problem when you're lifting less than 67.5kg (using two 22.5kg plates). It happens to me and I'm only 5'4". You shouldn't be slowing the weight under tension, both lifts require that you put the weight back down to stop it.

Try getting two dumbbells and placing them on their sides so that they act like stands for the bar, and use that for now.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the program. The beginning where the weights are easier is meant to give you time to nail your form. You don't want to load up too fast and have your form suffer. Don't worry, soon enough you'll be cussing that weight. :laugh:
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Stick to the program!!! Jumping ahead will get you nowhere but discouraged and possibly injured.

Much more than muscle is involved. There are changes to your nervous system, circulatory, skeletal, tendons, etc. These things take time. SL gets quite taxing after a while.

Also, take time to work on flexibility and mobility, which are important to have once you get into heavier weights. The lighter weight workouts should help give you time to work on these things.

Excellent choice in lifting program.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Doing the math, increasing the weight on the squat 3 times a week starting with the bar:

In about 2 1/2 months you'll be squatting 315 lbs, which is 3x ... ****ing metric system ... 3 x 22.5kg plates on either side of the bar. Hell I'd say even that's too fast coming out from zero and untrained... provided you can even make to 315 in that time with good form... few lifters in my gym can do a proper full squat with 315 AT ALL.

Be patient, and follow the program. Don't be afraid to increment even slower if need be (2.5kg per workout even, just like upper body, no shame in that, at all, and you'll likely progress for longer), and never be afraid to drop the weight and work your way back up if you start failing your sets.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    As everyone said stick with the program. It'll get heavy fast and now's the time to work on form and let the CNS adapt and strengthen tendons.
    I use paint cans for my rows and for warm ups on my deads. It seems to be the height for me.
    I really loved this workout. Hope you enjoy it too :drinker:
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Can I up the kilos to what feels right or should i follow religiously...

The heavier you start, the sooner you will stall and have to deload. Mehdi says you should consider starting heavier only if you're an experienced lifter who knows how to perform the lifts with proper form (and even then, he makes you start at half of your 5RM, which will be pretty light for you if you've been lifting for a while.) Otherwise, use these first few weeks of low weight lifts to really get your form down; that's super important.
    2nd question... As i am so tall the rolls felt really hard to get the form right... The weights were to low and I felt I couldn't straighten my back properly for each lift... I bent my knees to try and get down a lil more but it just felt out of reach as I am so tall. Could I put the weights on some sort of step?

Man, I'm 6'4" and I feel your pain... It's OK to bend your knees a little. It's also OK to put something under the plates to bring the barbell to the height it would be if it was loaded with 45's — but not higher. If you still can't get good form with the barbell at the right height, consider adding some stretching and mobility work to your routine.

Also, they're called "rows," not "rolls." :wink:
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Apologies if these are ridiculous questions!

Are you talking about rows or deadlifts? From what it sounds like it seems you are talking about rows.

You could/should get a power cage if you lift at home. If you do you could find a height to set the safeties on that would let you row correctly. The weight should be briefly released to the floor on each rep, similar to a deadlift.
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cheers to everyone for your responses... More than happy to stick with the plan and weights... Will look like Arnie in 10 weeks im sure!
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Rows not rolls haha... Must be hungry!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Gym might have some 4.5kg bumper plates. Lifts the bar up off the floor to an appropriate height, and easier than stacking plates on the floor.
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    In about 2 1/2 months you'll be squatting 315 lbs

Not quite:

315lbs goal - 45lbs barbell = 270lbs needed on the barbell.

270lbs/15lbs added each week = 18 weeks = ~4 months needed to squat 315lbs.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Cool man, come back with anymore questions.

Also, HIGHLY recommend you start following a guy named Johnny Candito on YouTube. That kid is a beast, and probably the most level headed fitness guy out there. Young powerlifter, puts up a 225kg squat like he's getting out of a chair. Great videos.

Not quite:

Standard stronglifts is 5lbs upper, 10lbs lower... right?
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried this program as prescribed for about 6 weeks and found it to be completely unrealistic. There is no way a person can add 5 pounds per session for 14 weeks unless you start unrealistically low.

Complete disclosure here, I am almost 50 and found it impossible to keep loading weight at that rate and other body builders I have personally talked to say this is a bogus program.

If I were you, I would talk to someone who has verifiably gone all the way through the program, and don't ask anyone on Mehdi's site......
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Yeah exactly, the program is good for getting a beginner up to speed, and teaching the primary lifts. Did you ever restart your weights by lowering by 10% and working your way back up like the program prescribes?

Like I said above, no shame in incrementing even slower, even +5 Upper/+10lbs Lower per week if need be. No shame in your game.

Once you stall out on this program, meaning you've repeatedly tried resets and you're still stalling (true stall, not just slow progress), you should move on to an intermediate program like Wendler's 5/3/1.

Madcow (suggested by Mehdi of SL5x5) is good too, but in my opinion 5/3/1 is better over all. That said, when you start 5/3/1, start it with your maxes at your SL5x5 weights so that you don't JUMP up and endup taxing yourself again. Don't make the mistake of thinking you're "trained" or "experianced" until you've got a solid year under your belt.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I tried this program as prescribed for about 6 weeks and found it to be completely unrealistic. There is no way a person can add 5 pounds per session for 14 weeks unless you start unrealistically low.

Complete disclosure here, I am almost 50 and found it impossible to keep loading weight at that rate and other body builders I have personally talked to say this is a bogus program.

If I were you, I would talk to someone who has verifiably gone all the way through the program, and don't ask anyone on Mehdi's site......

Err. It's a starter program. You're supposed to start with the bar.

And it includes deloading protocols for when you fail a lift, which you're expected to do.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Cool man, come back with anymore questions.

Also, HIGHLY recommend you start following a guy named Johnny Candito on YouTube. That kid is a beast, and probably the most level headed fitness guy out there. Young powerlifter, puts up a 225kg squat like he's getting out of a chair. Great videos.

Not quite:

10 for deads, 5 for squats because you do them each session instead of alternating.

Mahbad. I'm thinking of the old app where you could choose your incrementation, and I had it set to 10s all around. I had taken a month off and wanted to use SL to get back up to speed in a couple. But I was still hurt so I just had to quit all together.

Yeah doing the math here I was starting to doubt how aggressive 10 lbs on the squat was. Good deal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    just follow the program...it'll get heavy and hard soon enough. Starting out easy will let your tendons and ligaments adapt..your muscles can probably handle more, but not your tendons, ligaments, and smaller "helper" muscles. Those are what you're likely to injure if you go too hard too fast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Err. It's a starter program. You're supposed to start with the bar.

And it includes deloading protocols for when you fail a lift, which you're expected to do.

I would also add that for body building, it would be a pretty bogus program...it is a strength program, not a hypertrophy program.
  • fatfudgery
    Options

No, it's 10lbs for deadlift, 5lbs for everything else.