Gazelle or cheap elliptical?

Options

Replies

• McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    haha no idea....I think Gazelle is one of those things where you know how to make it work for you or you hate it kinda things. LOL

After using it so far I have found that you can get a pretty varied workout depending on body position alone but you have to actively be thinking about it. I can get my Heart rate up just fine without the resistance bar so far. If i pick up my heals as if I was kinda jogging and I get into the motion and move my whole body while leaning forward a bit.

My heart rate really only drops when I stop consiously thinking and just kinda use the momentum.. probably still like walking rate though def not a resting rate.

When I add in the resistance bar it almost feels more like it is toning muscles than cardio though. It is still pretty tough for me... I get a good outter thigh lift going sideways on it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why can't you go run or walk outside?
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options

It's like...20 below zero for a lot of us:(

*nods*

Or, as is the case today, muddy, rainy melty snow. But about an hour south, they got another 3 inches of ice.

Yeah, not safe outside weather.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I bought a Gazelle about 8 years ago and it still works. I does get squeaky and niosy but WD40 did calm it down for me. The heart rate sensors died a long time ago, but if you have heart rate monitor then you dont need it. You can work up a sweat and get a good cardio workout. 30 Minutes on the Gazelle is just as boring as 30 minutes on an elliptical in my opinion, so go with what ever works for you.
  • McMehu
    Options
    (forgot to quote) this is a response to a few posts earlier.

I had someone PM me about how I should just buy a pair of running shoes.

Not everyone lives in a temperate environment with sidewalks. Yes I do often walk. I can even drive to a nice place with walking paths and walk and that is great when it is not freezing and snow.. but if I have the means to do it on days it is snowy and cold or rainy I am a lot more motivated to still workout where as otherwise half the motivation might be bundling up and getting out the door.

Last time I was on here I walked outside more than anything else.. but sometimes it is nice to break a sweat in privacy when I fancy it.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a gazelle in it's natural habitat, only in living room corners covered with hangers and clothes.
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    We have a gazelle, and you can get a decent workout from it, but there are no resistance settings so you probably won't burn as many calories. However, it stretches you out veery well, and it's significantly easier on your knees.
  • McMehu
    Options
    I've never seen a gazelle in it's natural habitat, only in living room corners covered with hangers and clothes.

hahahaa
  • McMehu
    Options
    We have a gazelle, and you can get a decent workout from it, but there are no resistance settings so you probably won't burn as many calories. However, it stretches you out veery well, and it's significantly easier on your knees.

I did end up finding a used older model with resistance. But yes the ones I looked at at the store had none.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Haven't used an elliptical, so can't compare.

Have had a Gazelle in the TV room for many years (no dust on it). WD-40 and the right hex wrench periodically keeps the squeekin' away.

Lean fwd/bck, harder. No resistance bar on ours. BUT, I have no problem getting into hear rate zones for aerobic reasons by going FAST for a duration, as stated by many others.

P.S.-The Gazelle computer is junk. I use a polar HRM to monitor the bpm on my smartphone.
  • McMehu
    Options
    I just keep track of my heart rate for the time and keep it as constant as I can and then put that in with my weight to estimate calories. The gazelle actually gave me a similar number but it never asked for my weight so I doubt it is terribly accurate normally.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

It's like...20 below zero for a lot of us:(

*nods*

Or, as is the case today, muddy, rainy melty snow. But about an hour south, they got another 3 inches of ice.

Yeah, not safe outside weather.

Yes I'm in MN and as soon as snow is cleared its fine to run. Slush is fine just a little messy.
  • ZoeOnly
    ZoeOnly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Very helpful stuff in this thread! I got an off-brand Gazelle from my mom 8 years ago and used it daily for 3-4 months and lost about 15-20 pounds. It's still in the basement and I'm hoping it will still be in working order when I pull it out tomorrow. Long ago I would go 45-50 minutes on it and I had a special music playlist, and I forced myself to keep up the pace with the beat of every single song. As an exercise novice, I think it was a pretty good workout!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Cross trainers can still make a fair bit of noise.

Remember that in the end, if you're just doing light cardio I believe mostly you're just 'buying back' calories... so you can eat more.

As someone that's drunk the kool-aid - dare I suggest a weights setup, despite that not being at all what was asked? :)
    May offer better results for less effort.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I found one on craigslist that has a resistance bar. It was very affordable so I picked it up. I need to tighten some things because although it glides silently when the resistance bar is attached it is a little noisy. I used it with my heart rate monitor and it is a lot easier than an elliptical but even with no resistance bar it got my heart rate into fat burning mode so over long periods it is good. I can try adding resistance tomorrow and see how that goes.

Just checking back on this after a while ... Glad you found one you like :-)
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just got a Gazelle and a bunch of other equipment for free. I know many say that you don't burn much on the Gazelle- but if you put on some ankle weights- would that increase the burn? I don't know to much about it but thought maybe that might help.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do that, put the weight on the machine not your ankle - less likely to damage your ankles then.
    Doubt it will make that much difference. Better might be some kind of resistance bands on them or similar.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You might want to find out if some of the sporting goods stores in your area offer layaway plans. A couple of the stores here do. It would be worth an extra $400 to get something that won't fall apart on you. Some of them even offer free delivery and assembly.
  • collroblola
    Options
    I just worked out on my Gazelle glider for the first time today. Purchased mine from QVC under the name XL Glider 2. I wore a Polar HRM and quickly got my HR up to my fat burning zone. At first i thought no way this would be a good workout without the added resistance and was regretting my purchase, but after a few minutes I could really feel it. My 2 cents is invest in a HRM when you use this. It will make you move quicker and workout harder. The console that comes with it is useless. I worked out for 30 minutes and burned 300 calories.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have an older Gazelle that have resistance. I was on the second notch, but changed it to the fourth at first. Couldn't even push the pedals! I moved it to third notch and was sweating within five minutes because it was a workout to push. Feeling it in my muscles. Gave me a great workout.
    But I do walk outside and purchased a bike and when the weather gets better, will ride also to mix things up.