Lost 19 lbs in a months and a half!

Options
1235»

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Great job. I'm 5'7 too and would probably also need to eat less than 1200 calories/day in order to lose weight.

Don't up your intake if this works for you (unless you take up a new exercise regime or something).

I'm not saying that that's always the case, but SOMETIMES it appear to me that people on here are trying to ruin other people's diet success :/ .

Please, please, please, can we keep this post as a success to someone listening to advice, people discussing benefits of one approach versus another (healthy versus riskier), and NOT about personal attacks?

The concept of ruining someone else's success is so foreign to me, I feel that an accusation of it must come from someone's own seat of projection.

OP, run out of here while you can! :noway:
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    No need for any arguments:)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP - I will say this, while I completely agree that you most likely should be eating more, please understand that when you do up your calories, you will probably gain a little weight back in the beginning. Please don't freak out and think this is going to be par for the course.

You will gain a little weight, your body will adjust, and as long as your are eating at a calorie deficit for your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) you will go back to losing weight, only at a more healthy and sustainable level. You will need to give it time and not get discouraged.

Ah, good call, man...^this.

Also, don't let an occasional week or two without any loss for no apparent reason get you discouraged either. There are so many factors that affect scale weight that, while they usually seem to offset the others a little, sometimes they all nudge it in one direction.

(My own OCD weight log of 2.5 years has quite a few 24 hour periods where I gained/lost 3-6 pounds...and before someone suggests it, no, less frequent weighing wouldn't have made those go away. I have similar volatility between weeks. That said, over a sufficient period of time, the lines resolve to a nice smooth curve depending on which direction I'm trying to move the scale at the time. The process works...it just takes more time that many wished it did.)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Great job. I'm 5'7 too and would probably also need to eat less than 1200 calories/day in order to lose weight.

Don't up your intake if this works for you (unless you take up a new exercise regime or something).

I'm not saying that that's always the case, but SOMETIMES it appear to me that people on here are trying to ruin other people's diet success :/ .

Please, please, please, can we keep this post as a success to someone listening to advice, people discussing benefits of one approach versus another (healthy versus riskier), and NOT about personal attacks?

The concept of ruining someone else's success is so foreign to me, I feel that an accusation of it must come from someone's own seat of projection.

OP, run out of here while you can! :noway:

What an awesome descriptive. 10nyr8y.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    OP - I will say this, while I completely agree that you most likely should be eating more, please understand that when you do up your calories, you will probably gain a little weight back in the beginning. Please don't freak out and think this is going to be par for the course.

You will gain a little weight, your body will adjust, and as long as your are eating at a calorie deficit for your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) you will go back to losing weight, only at a more healthy and sustainable level. You will need to give it time and not get discouraged.

Ah, good call, man...^this.

Also, don't let an occasional week or two without any loss for no apparent reason get you discouraged either. There are so many factors that affect scale weight that, while they usually seem to offset the others a little, sometimes they all nudge it in one direction.

(My own OCD weight log of 2.5 years has quite a few 24 hour periods where I gained/lost 3-6 pounds...and before someone suggests it, no, less frequent weighing wouldn't have made those go away. I have similar volatility between weeks. That said, over a sufficient period of time, the lines resolve to a nice smooth curve depending on which direction I'm trying to move the scale at the time. The process works...it just takes more time that many wished it did.)

See bolded? Double this, especially since you're female, OP. Hormone cycles are a b*tch to us women. They might even make your scale weight go up a pound or two for a week. If you're seeing an overall downward trend over a month or more, then don't worry about it! Odds are, once you cycle back out of a given phase, you'll find that you lose that "extra" weight and more as the water weight goes away and reveals the true losses that you had over that week or two.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ok so it's fast? It was a month and a half. Even if it was a crash diet. She is almost done. Ok so not the healthiest? As long as she doesn't continue this for months not a big deal. People can fast for 30 days without long term consequences. That being said. Good job. Make sure you look at how to stay healthy and YAY! for you!

Here's the thing. Very low-calorie diets (VLCD) are effective at helping you lose weight. However, it is very bad for body composition. In other words, the weight you lose on VLCD is not only fat, but also muscle. For the morbidly obese (BMI over 35), muscle has been developed over the years simply by carrying around extra weight, and those individuals can afford to do a VLCD. However, it is muscle that drives the metabolism. Once an individual has progressed from morbidly obese (BMI over 35) to obese (BMI 30 to 35), muscle is required to continue to drive the metabolism. The "extra" fat stores have been depleted and the body is less inclined to use the existing fat stores. This is because fat is technically a vital organ for the body, and the body will resist further loss of it by way of hormones; cortisol, grehlin, and leptin.

So basically, it's like this, VLCD is generally only recommended for morbidly obese individuals and under a doctor's supervision. Once you have progressed in your weight loss, your body will become more dependent upon food, and if you are in too deep of a deficit, then your weight loss will stall.
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Thanks everyone:) I have read every comment and appreciate the advice:)
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss! You look wonderful! :drinker:

We live in the same city. Send me a FR if you'd like to add me as a friend.
  • dzahner3
    dzahner3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe I shouldn't of used the word jealous. At the time I was upset because I've seen this before. Someone post a success story and they are so proud of themselves and on such a high and then someone chimes in and says that what they are doing is wrong and that they need to do it a different way. The negative comments toward myself does not bother me so keep them coming. Ha!
  • Chargercali5
    Options
    Great job!
  • kristelahernandez
    Options
    that's great for you! I get what your saying I am doing the same thing too my intake is 1200 I use to over eat big time and staying in this range really makes me feel soo much better too..and I know for a fact I am not starving my self either..so..thats good for you that you found what works for you!!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Okay, maybe I shouldn't of used the word jealous. At the time I was upset because I've seen this before. Someone post a success story and they are so proud of themselves and on such a high and then someone chimes in and says that what they are doing is wrong and that they need to do it a different way. The negative comments toward myself does not bother me so keep them coming. Ha!

Your WKing efforts have been duly noted.

Now, perhaps you would consider sharing some words of wisdom with other posters to help them reach their goals instead of letting your own insecurities compel you to defend those who don't need it against these perceived "attacks"...

...because I believe MFP would benefit from *more* people providing actual advice and fewer people providing feelings defense.
  • dzahner3
    dzahner3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with you kristelaherna! And as for you iofjltncb6, I think you need to go eat a cheeseburger so you will not be so crabby!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This site said to stay under 1200 pounds by the info I put in. I still eat plenty. This morning I ate a banana and a toaster strudel. I just try to stay under that amount of calories:)
    And no additional exercises.

Have you not noticed that every time you complete a day with under 1200 calories, a big warning pops up?

Dear, congratulations so far but you are doing this in an unhealthy way that is sacrificing muscle, organ, and bone mass unnecessarily.

You have to eat more.

If you're just going with 1200 because MFP told you 1200, reset your goals to 1 lb a week instead of 2 lbs a week. 2 lbs a week is horrifically inappropriate for someone who is not obese, and you are not close to obese.

Not to diminish your success at all, but I agree with this. My BMI is in the obese category and I'm mostly sedentary due to a medical condition and I eat 1200 calories a day on doctor's orders. And you're taller than me and have less to lose. I usually don't chime into the 1200 calorie debates, but...yeah.

I do commend your self-control and dedication, though. Good job keeping yourself motivated.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I agree with you kristelaherna! And as for you iofjltncb6, I think you need to go eat a cheeseburger so you will not be so crabby!

Me, crabby??? :huh:

Does this look like the face of a crabby person to you???
    <

Wait, don't answer that.

(And anyone who thinks I need to eat more probably hasn't looked at my open food diary.)
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You look great. I started with 195 in October. 173 this morning and shooting for 150 by April. I am 5'7 as well. I was 290lbs in June 2010 when I delivered #2. Whatever you are doing keep up awesome results.

We almost are the same I got up to 192 but never recorded it. Just checked this afternoon at 176 {but going to recheck in the morning to see if its 175 or 177}

OP I applaud you on your weight loss and I applaud you even more for listening to the other posters as you are eating at a large deficit. After my oldest I lost very aggresively all on my own {dont remember what age you are but I was about 23-24} Now Im doing it the more healthy way so this way I can learn portion control and learn how to eat more properly again
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Me, crabby??? :huh:

Does this look like the face of a crabby person to you???
    <

Wait, don't answer that.

(And anyone who thinks I need to eat more probably hasn't looked at my open food diary.)

Ah, not crabby. Maybe a little stern in this picture. It is okay though because, well, hat.
  • MommylovesBrynley
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • freelifebird
    Options
    wow amazing, keep going on!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!