Water?

Options
Does anyone think water is helpful? The 8 glasses a day--I've heard pros and cons about it...

Replies

• SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I don't know, probably its an individual thing. All I can say is, it has made a HUGE difference with me. It keeps my hydrated. My skin seems to be less dry (not sure if that's an effect of water just something I noticed). I did hear that drinking really cold water will burn a very very very small amount of calories because your body has to heat it up. I also like the way it makes me feel fuller.

So, my personal experience is, water has DEFINITELY made a difference. I drink it mixed with Crystal Light and I drink about 100 ounces a day
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    are body is 70% water.. so you should be drinking 60% of your body weight in water....

if you weight 100 drink 60 ounces... 200 ...120 ounces

there's even research going around about how water actually helps you lose weight by speeding up the metabolism.. not including how your body should be flushing its self out

8 glasses is no where near how much people really need
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I agree. I drink lots of water. I think it helps keep you full too. Plus, if you need the 'hand to mouth' movement- drinking the water is using that movement.
  • toberlili
    Options
    water is very important, you can work out and eat well and not lose much or not see a change if you dont have enough. water helps keep your metabolism going, with out water it will slow down. It also helps flush the toxins out of your system, hope this helps a little :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i'm kinda curious as the cons you've heard about drinking water..

our bodies need fluid in order to function, and water is the best fluid to put into our bodies because it doesn't have to separate all of the chemicals that may be other drinks. water also helps flush out all the toxins and such that don't need to be in our bodies.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i'm kinda curious as the cons you've heard about drinking water..

Me too. I've never heard cons to drinking water. I've heard you don't need as much as people say but never drinking normal amounts hurts you in any way.
  • Anglophile
    Options
    Thanks for all the good replies re water. The only "con" I heard is that if you eat the amount of veggies and fruit you oughta be eating, you don't Need the 8 glasses. I'll go with you guys and Drink Up!:drinker:
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I'm a nurse and have heard the "research" that supports all different levels of fluid intake. The original "8 glasses a day" number had no research behind it whatsoever! It was purely abitrary. Every person needs a differing amount, depending upon their size, metabolism, activity level, ambient temperature, and the foods they eat. Everyone should drink when they are thirsty. The problem is, we are busy and don't notice thirst, or we put it off, so our body learns to ignore it. We begin to interpret thirst signals as hunger because our bodies learn that food brings fluids. That is one reason that 8-12 ounces of water 15 minutes before a meal helps you lose weight. If the signal is more thirst than hunger, satisfying it means you can then eat for nourishment, not hydration. You can just imagine how much more food you would have to eat to make up for a 12 ounces water defficiency!
    Children, pregnant women and the elderly have impaired thirst sensation. They need to track fluid intake more closely to stay properly hydrated. Most healthy adults can get their thirst signals back on-line by forcing fluids for a week or so. Drink 8-12 ounces before exercise, drink during exercise, and another 8 ounces after cool down. Then drink 8-12 ounces before each meal and any time you get a food craving or feel hungry before you should. Once your body starts getting water when it needs it, you will find it stops sending so many hunger signals.
    I hope that helps.
  • Jens11
    Options
    I'm a nurse and have heard the "research" that supports all different levels of fluid intake. The original "8 glasses a day" number had no research behind it whatsoever! It was purely abitrary. Every person needs a differing amount, depending upon their size, metabolism, activity level, ambient temperature, and the foods they eat. Everyone should drink when they are thirsty. The problem is, we are busy and don't notice thirst, or we put it off, so our body learns to ignore it. We begin to interpret thirst signals as hunger because our bodies learn that food brings fluids. That is one reason that 8-12 ounces of water 15 minutes before a meal helps you lose weight. If the signal is more thirst than hunger, satisfying it means you can then eat for nourishment, not hydration. You can just imagine how much more food you would have to eat to make up for a 12 ounces water defficiency!
    Children, pregnant women and the elderly have impaired thirst sensation. They need to track fluid intake more closely to stay properly hydrated. Most healthy adults can get their thirst signals back on-line by forcing fluids for a week or so. Drink 8-12 ounces before exercise, drink during exercise, and another 8 ounces after cool down. Then drink 8-12 ounces before each meal and any time you get a food craving or feel hungry before you should. Once your body starts getting water when it needs it, you will find it stops sending so many hunger signals.
    I hope that helps.

Hi, your reply is really great!! very interesting :-)