What Should My Goal Be?

Options
Hey Everyone! I just had a quick question about weight goals. I'm an 18 year old girl (and yes, I am ACTUALLY 18). I am large frame, 5'8", and currently around 186 lbs. My goal weight is 155lbs for the time being, but I wanted to know what a healthy range for me is. I have looked online and seen everything from 160 to 110 (yikes! I can't even imagine myself at 110!). Any thoughts? Thank you so much!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    It really depends on build and body composition, not knowing how you're built it's going to be difficult for people to answer. I'm a guy, and according to the Navy when I joined I should have been between 160-175, but because of the way I'm built I look sickly weighing that little, and look normal between 185-205. I would just cut the weight and see how you feel and look as you go, remember, scale weight is just an arbitrary number in the grand scheme of things.

Rigger
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally focus on BF%, not weight. Your body weight is made up of many, many, many things...not just fat.
  • lalala541
    Options
    You can use BMI as a rough guideline. You could try to get down to 155 and reevaluate from there. If you like the way it looks, you can prob stay at that weight since it is around the upper limit of healthy (according to calculators). I'm sure there are people out there who look and feel fine at 110 lbs, but that doesn't mean your weight has to be that low (just pointing that out cause you said "yikes").
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    155 is a decent starting goal. Achievable and should make a substantial positive difference in appearance. Can always change goals again, based on how you look and feel. Just remember to take pictures.
  • lalala541
    Options
    Let me add that I agree with what the other people said...BF % matters to...Sadly, not everyone owns or has access to a body fat monitor...
  • saucyitalian19
    saucyitalian19 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it should be about feeling healthy, not about losing X number of pounds. I am actually around the same figures as you, and for me, my goal is 155 (though I am 25, not 18). Like someone else said, its attainable and will not make me look gaunt or unhealthy. My focus right now is making lifestyle changes. In the long run, watching what I eat and exercising more than I used too will help me to get healthy, stay in shape, and eventually get back to my goal. I think that should be your focus.