Coconut oil for...coffee?

Options
Hey All.

I recently bought some coconut oil, but I think I may have bought the wrong kind. I haven't tried it yet though and am looking to just get some opinions/suggestions.

I bought Louana pure coconut oil...now, I have heard of some people putting coconut oil in their coffee...but, do I have the right kind of coconut oil to do that? I have read a few articles where, in regards to Louana coconut oil, people use it more for skin or nails. I am looking to just add it to my coffee or maybe other foods....and I dont know, some of the reviews have suggested this isn't the coconut oil to use it for-so I am a little hesitant to try it in my coffee.

SO....for those of you who do use coconut oil---which brand do you recommend??

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you bought it in the food section and not the beauty section you should be fine. I use Dr. Bronner's from Sprouts. It's fair trade, organic, cold pressed, blah blah blah. I use it for everything from hand and face lotion, to a leave in conditioner for my dry hair (use the tiniest amount or you'll be greasy for days!), to cooking, to adding fat on days when I need more calories. I tried it in my coffee and didn't like it. But I know other people who do.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's coconut oil.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I like Nutiva coconut oil. I'm not familiar with the brand you have but refined coconut oil will basically taste and smell like nothing. Unrefined coconut oil will smell and taste like coconut and may be a little chunky (like there are pieces of coconut in it)- Nutiva is like this and I have put it in my coffee. It's really good. It's good for cooking too, if you don't mind a faint coconut flavor in the food you're cooking. With refined coconut oil, you won't get that coconut undertone.
    As far as health benefits between refined/unrefined, there's plenty of stuff out there, but I've never been able to tell if what I'm reading is true or not. I just like the taste of the unrefined. :flowerforyou:
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did buy it in the grocery aisle at Walmart....

I have never used coconut oil for anything before....is it correct to assume the oil will liquify in my coffee?? lol
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I use it in coffee occasionally. But don't use that kind. Look for organic, extra virgin. Nutiva makes a decent one.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yes - coconut oil is solid at room temperature. My brother puts it in his coffee, but I have never tried it.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I did buy it in the grocery aisle at Walmart....

I have never used coconut oil for anything before....is it correct to assume the oil will liquify in my coffee?? lol
    Yes, solid at room temperature and liquifies quickly as it gets above room temperature. Even just in your hand it will melt.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've never had it in coffee... but I've used it for a lot of other things.

* You can oil the ends of your hair with coconut oil to make them softer and shinier. You only need a drop smoothed between the palms.
    * Use it as a moisturizer for your skin, but I would recommend not putting it on your face. It's comedogenic and if you have any tendency to acne, you'll get zits.
    * Use it instead of butter/cooking oil. I used to make truffles with it:
    - Coconut oil, shaved coconut, dark cocoa, ground almonds/almond butter or hazelnuts, honey. Yum!

* If you really don't like any of these ideas, oil your shoe leather or wood with it. One of the nice things about coconut oil is that it does not go rancid as quickly as other oils so it won't smell or get weird...
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know exactly which coconut oil you have. Its in my kitchen right now. My hubby buys it when I ask him to pick up coconut oil. Its ok for cooking but you want to get unfiltered virign (or extra virgin) coconut oil. When you open up your coconut oil the overpowering smell of coconut should knock you to your feet. So far I've found that Trader Joe's has the best coconut oil and the best price. It can be used for 100s of things, oil pulling for acne, teeth whiteing, moisturizer, diaper rash cream, cooking, paleo fudge, you can make a home made goo be gone with it, you can use it for your hair, etc. I have to say I've never put it in my coffee though. I use canned coconut milk in my coffee = )
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    coconut oil goes liquid at around 80-ish degrees. Solid otherwise. I force it down. myself. I tolerate it best whipped into ice cream. I have tried it in my coffee, but -- eesh -- I think that is an acquired taste/tolerance.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Nutiva and Trader Joes are both good. Krogers sells the Spectrum (?) in the organic section. I don't like it in my coffee cause I like my coffee to taste like coffee but I put a glob in a little prep dish, a tlbsp, and microwave until liquifies for 30-60 sec. and add it to my protein shake. Give you lots of energy and tastes great with the oj and protein powder. Trader Joes is probably the cheapest but you should look for organic and unprocessed. If you google coconut oil you will get lots of hits to read about it.
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I never tried coconut oil in my coffee. On occasion I drink coconut water. Can you put it in tea I am wondering? Any suggestions?
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't think you bought the right kind.

I use the cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil in 1 12 oz glass jar.

What you bought is okay for cooking, but not for the the health benefits of adding to coffee or taking by spoonful.
  • hng0603
    hng0603 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thinkin may have done the same? This doesn't have any taste or smell once opened.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva but not in coffee, I use it for cooking (it has a high smoke point so I use it in place of olive oil in heated dishes.) Coconut oil has a 76 degree melting point. If your house is cold it will be solid and if it's warmer (76+ it will be liquid.)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I never tried coconut oil in my coffee. On occasion I drink coconut water. Can you put it in tea I am wondering? Any suggestions?

I use coconut oil in both tea and coffee - you need to blend it though! If you don't it just blobs around like an oil slick. If you blend it, it kind of emulsifies and makes the drink look like you've got milk in it
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you're putting it in your coffee (look up bullet proof coffee recipes for more info on that) I would recommend getting a drink aerator you can find them pretty cheap at amazon or bed bath and beyond mine is called the aerolatte. you just put your coconut oil in the bottom of your cup, pour your hot coffee over the top, and whiz it up with the aerolatte and it makes it frothy and rich and a little sweet without the need of creamer.
  • janel867
    Options
    I tried this for the first time in my coffee today and it was OK...I'm still trying to adjust to not using my regular evil creamer :explode:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLUWMC6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use organic, refined coconut oil in my coffee sometimes. I put about a teaspoon or so in and blend it up in a blender with some strong black coffee; it comes out nice and creamy, like a cafe au lait, no weird oily separation at all. Its good! Make sure you blend it though or it will separate giving you an oily sheen on top of the liquid.
  • gypsyone96
    Options
    I could be wrong but it sounds like you're trying to make bulletproof coffee? You can try Googling recipes for it :)