Question about strength training

Options
I am just getting back into a gym routine after many years of being sidelined with kids, a back injury, and lupus. I've been reading these boards and I'm confused about the advice I've seen given to beginners.

My past experience with weights was with machines, light dumbbells, and an empty barbell in a Body Pump class. I remember that I couldn't use the barbell for the squats. I felt too unbalanced, but I did do deadlifts and rows with them.

I've always believed the newbies (or those restarting like me) should start with machines, progress to dumbbells, and lastly barbells. But, many of the routines I'm seeing (5x5, SS, etc) suggest using barbells only.

Is it really okay to start with deadlifts and barbells rows from the beginning or am I missing something?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you can physically do the compound moves and your interested in using a program like 5x5 then your answer is yes. You just have to use correct form.

The big compound moves are generally designed for barbells with free weights to get the most use of your time.

Of course you can use dumbbells, but you form will be off when you do switch to barbells when you squat etc... Its best to work on form and get it right from the start.
  • rklein03
    Options
    Is it really okay to start with deadlifts and barbells rows from the beginning or am I missing something?

You can start with whatever you want as long as you have the correct form and do not over do it. My workout is 3 days on, 2 days off.

Day 1 - Back / Biceps
    Day 2 - Chest / Triceps / Shoulders
    Day 3 - Legs

3-4 Sets of 6-10 reps Per exercise and 3-4 exercises per major muscle groups and 1-2 per minor muscle groups like bis and tris. Using machines or free weights is up to you, but if you use free weights go light at first and fully understand the technique needed to perform the exercise correctly
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are good resources..

yes, if you can do them and learn the proper form then a program of compound lifts - deadlifts, barbell squat, overhead press, bench press, rows, pull up/chin up - will benefit you the most.

IMO I would avoid the machines and go with free weights/barbells...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

yes, if you can do them and learn the proper form then a program of compound lifts - deadlifts, barbell squat, overhead press, bench press, rows, pull up/chin up - will benefit you the most.

All of this, definitely. The only machines worth anything are cable machines because they (mostly) don't force you into a fixed range of motion.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

All of this, definitely. The only machines worth anything are cable machines because they (mostly) don't force you into a fixed range of motion.

I like the iso lateral row, the low row, and lat pull down….
  • MotherSquatter
    MotherSquatter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used a women's bar (30ish pounds) to start for squats, then progressed to mens 45pound bar and squatted around 65-75 pounds for what seemed like forever (2-3 months) until I felt like my form was good, posted a form check video on fitocracy, then moved the weight up slowly using a Starting Strength type of program and added 100 pounds to my max over a year. My kids squat with a 10ish pound bar and we have 2.5pound fractional plates that we add to it, it was pretty cheap, I think less than $50 on amazon.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you dont need to start with the oly bar, you can start with those 9 pound body bars until you get comfortable with the form. then gradually work your way up to the standard bar
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great advice! I will look into the bar exercises more.

I like the cable machines, too. Forgot about those. The only machines I really like are the chest and overhead press (because I don't have enough upper body strength to do anything else) and the leg press. I still do squats and other leg exercises, but the leg press (and bridges) were some things I really liked from my time in physical therapy after back surgery.