C25K Options

Options
I would like to start incorporating a little more running in my routine and meet my fear of running head on. Such a wimp when it comes to running, seems like I just get winded so quickly. Does anyone have any good suggestions on a C25K (Couch to 5K) program that is good?

Replies

• doubleclick_darling
    doubleclick_darling Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've attempted a number of versions of C25k and have felt like it was too much too soon for me as I got out of the earlier weeks and would just give up. That being said, a friend recently suggested Zombies, Run! by Six to Start, and through that, I also downloaded and began their own 5K trainer (which syncs up with my Zombies, Run walks that I do on alternating days).

The pace is slower, and it is incorporating more than just walking and jogging intervals. I just started week 2, and after each 30 second run, there are 5 heel lifts, which give a bit of a break up. I also enjoy the 10 minute "freeform" at the end where you can choose your own pace (I usually do it at a slow jog, though I did increase my speed a little today).

It isn't a free app, but for me, it was worth the $2 to buy.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I like 'Ease I to 5k'. It gives you a map and pace for both the walking and running parts of the activity.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I used Run Double in combination with RunKeeper. And Pandora for the tunes!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i use the zombies, run 5k app on my phone. you start off with running for 15 seconds and walking for a minute and then it builds on that. plus there's a story line where you are a survivor in the zombie apocalypse and you are training to be able to run on missions to help out your colony.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K app by Zen Labs on the treadmill, (1 more week left). I also use Runtastic and Zombies, Run! when I run outside.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I started w/zen labs but was bored to tears & switched to the Zombies Run by six to start C25k. I went from 0 running to 4 miles in just under 8 weeks. Also BTW if you are getting winded you are going too fast. It took me a while to figure this out. If you could possibly go any slower then go slower, you should be able to carry on a conversation. The C25K program is a conditioning program, speed will come later. Don't worry about your time, go slow, even slower than slow like grandma in her walker could run faster than you slow & you will be amazed @ how far you could run w/out getting winded. Good luck.
  • hilarific1283
    hilarific1283 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K from start to finish and it took about 9 weeks. I was just under 300lbs when I started. Running 60 seconds at a time was a challenge. I was slow but I eventually made it. Fast forward 5 months and I'm now running 5+ miles at a time and training for my first 25K! I'm still slow but I don't care. I feel incredible.

I wrote a whole post about how I was able to finish it on my blog. Feel free to check it out.

http://www.gettingthroughlife.com/2013/10/c25k-tips-and-tricks.html
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I use the Zen Labs c25k, since it's free :P
  • sheathja
    Options
    I started using C25K and honestly thought the app linked to MFP! Have I missed something or is there a way to link them or am I going completely mad??

I have both the MFP and the C25K app having paid the extra $1.99 just so I didn't have to put up with the ads :)