Concerns about new shoes.

Options
A while ago, I posted about my legs hurting quite badly when I jogged, and you guys suggested that I got new shoes. Did so, and they are very comfortable.

However, there were a few problems. For starters, the shoes I got were apparently very highly praised (Adistar Boost), but I had a few problems.

First off, my ankles are tiny. I mean, none of the shoes I tried on stopped the back of my ankles from sliding against the back of the shoe. The ones I got just stopped it the least. Secondly, I had to tie my shoe so tight to make the sliding reduce that now it hurts the front of my ankles.

Third, I had my gait examined, and my ankles have a tendency of leaning outwards while walking. When wearing the new shoes, it feels like my ankles can roll a lot easier, although it has not yet happened. From what it looks like, the shoe is meant to support the ankles of people who have ankles that tend to roll inwards, not in my case.

So, are any of these a concern, or is it just a new shoe fitting in? If not, should I keep them a bit loose, or should I keep them tighter? Is a return in order? Thanks!

Replies

• DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you went to a running shoe store and they helped pick out your shoes, I would go back to them first and discuss your concerns and have them watch your gait again and see what they think. Another option would be to go to a 2nd store and ask for a 2nd opinion. Maybe the first person wasn't that great at fitting you...
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You can lace your shoes a different way to support you ankles. I do it with my trail running shoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9qtMvwZ1lg
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My running shoes would slide a lot in my heel but the rest of my foot felt pretty comfortable which I had also thought it was just the overall shoe breaking in but then I found that it could actually just be how I was lacing them up that was the issue. Maybe check out this site and see of any of the lacing techniques they describe could help. Surprisingly for me I used their advice on tying my laces differently and it helped with the sliding.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes?page=single

I'm more of a casual jogger and have never really done much in depth research regarding gaits and which shoes work best, maybe vising a shop that sells runners equipment and see if anyone on staff can give more direct advice if you can't find any online.
  • Bittergamer1886
    Options
    I tried a supposed "Runner's Loop," but that didn't work. Maybe I should try the "lipstick" method. However, I think that maybe I should go back to that store and see what would work better with my thin ankles. I mean, rolling ankles has to be the worst experience I've ever had with exercise.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but it is possible you could use a thicker sock and roll the top down and double over to create more of a cushion at the ankle. Otherwise, the comments concerning getting an evaluation seem spot-on. Obviously, you need to change something if they are not fitting properly.
  • Bittergamer1886
    Options
    Just a thought but it is possible you could use a thicker sock and roll the top down and double over to create more of a cushion at the ankle. Otherwise, the comments concerning getting an evaluation seem spot-on. Obviously, you need to change something if they are not fitting properly.

I went back there and they just said give it some time to get used to it. No re-evaluations or nothing. The dude there was a veteran runner who told me this who was well over 50, and was quite forceful about what he was saying, too. Strange, but okay. I mean, really, the amount of which it slides against my ankles is minimal. I have to balance between not getting it too tight until circulation is gone, or to have it too lose to make me slip or roll. I already tried the treadmill with them and they're fine, but now I'm gonna test them on concrete.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is extremely vague, but don't they have those ankle brace type things that are supposed to help prevent rolling your ankles? Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Lightweight-Ankle-Brace-Medium/dp/B000UVVXPA/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1389583304&sr=1-2&keywords=ankle+brace

I assume that will help with rolling your ankles, and it might bulk up your ankle a little more to prevent sliding.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I went back there and they just said give it some time to get used to it. No re-evaluations or nothing. The dude there was a veteran runner who told me this who was well over 50, and was quite forceful about what he was saying, too. Strange, but okay. I mean, really, the amount of which it slides against my ankles is minimal. I have to balance between not getting it too tight until circulation is gone, or to have it too lose to make me slip or roll. I already tried the treadmill with them and they're fine, but now I'm gonna test them on concrete.

that is odd-- my running store is awesome, they took my last pair back with no questions asked and spent 45 minutes trying to find a pair that they thought worked good AND that i felt comfortable about-- sounds like they just want a sale maybe
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Superfeet? I'm not sure if they'd specifically address your problem. But I'm totally in love with them and won't run without them. I put them in ALL of my sneakers. I never have any foot/ankle problems with them.