How come other people see results in one week?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be a little heavier as you mature, nothing wrong with that. Instead of focusing on weight loss I'd recommend focusing on body composition. Do some strength training, eat at a VERY small deficit or at maintenance (since you're close to underweight) and eat a lot of protein to retain your muscle.
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds this week.

You know what that amounts to?

Absolutely nothing.

I am around 300 pounds and have been hovering around that for a very long time since coming down from 370+. I lost so much because not only am I so heavy that my body works harder to move itself around and operate, but also because a lot of that was 'water weight' and fluids being flushed out of my system, which does not amount to actual fat loss.

My 7 pounds is nothing compared to the progress people make at your weight. It gets unbelievably, exponentially more difficult the lower you become.

Also, genetics are a factor, as well.

Do not compare strictly numbers to others'. It's good to look at what other people are doing so you might be able to take something away from it and perhaps improve your regimen or your diet or what have you. However, we all have our ups and downs in various avenues of our lives and we need to learn how to accept ourselves and our situations and work within them to better ourselves and find happiness. I'm not at all saying that you aren't accepting your situation or anything, by the way—I'm just stating this generally.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I would KILL, and I mean KILL to be 115. You're at a healthy weight. You simply do not have the fat stores necessary to constitute huge amounts of weight loss. Or even small/medium/large. I wouldn't shoot for more than .5 lbs a week, because an aggressive calorie goal isn't what you need.

If you're looking to have more definition with your body, look into body recomposition instead of a calorie deficit.

If you REALLY mean you would KILL to be 115, then this is a problem. If you don't mean it, then you should still consider the power that words can have. Using language that intense with regards to weight is not a great indication of a healthy attitude.

Of course I don't mean literally.

ETA; I've been obese all of my adult life. Although I perhaps did not chose the right words, what I mean to say is, I would really love to be a HEALTHY weight. I was trying to emphasize that 115 lbs at 5'2 is a healthy weight and that perhaps she should be happy at that weight... as opposed to unhealthy and obese... like me. I'm sorry if my wording offended anyone.

I wasn't offended, but I do think it's worthwhile to consider our words thoughtfully. What we make a habit of saying can begin to come out without us being fully aware of the impact of our words on ourselves and those around us.

I just wanted to point that out. :flowerforyou:
  • mmargarette
    mmargarette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I thought my 'normal' weight was how much I weighed before college because.. that's been my weight ever since! So when I gained so much after HS, it really shocked me and got me so into working out and eating in a deficit.

Thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll just have to keep it up to see the results I want :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 5'2 115lbs 1200-1300 cals and working out with T25. I never "cheated" in my eating. I weighed and measured myself today and nothing has changed.

I just don't get why other people get results as fast as one week while others don't like me :(

You have very little in the way of fat stores at that weight and those stats. People who drop Lbs in a week are overweight...you are not overweight...you need to get some more realistic expectations.
  • mmargarette
    Options
    I did the entire T25 program (Gamma phase included) and didn't see results until after the first 3-4 weeks. I didn't lose but just a few lbs. over three months, but my endurance and stamina improved immensly and my belly got a bit flatter. Didn't change clothes sizes, didn't lose tons of inches, but I gained a lot more from the program.

I've heard the same statement (and complaints about T25 from others).

Those that see huge results are likely those that have a TON to lose to start with. For your height, your weight does not seem too far off goal. Keep working hard, it will pay off.

Like how much? I was thinking of making a hybrid of T25 and NTC and/or Insanity
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I would KILL, and I mean KILL to be 115. You're at a healthy weight. You simply do not have the fat stores necessary to constitute huge amounts of weight loss. Or even small/medium/large. I wouldn't shoot for more than .5 lbs a week, because an aggressive calorie goal isn't what you need.

If you're looking to have more definition with your body, look into body recomposition instead of a calorie deficit.

If you REALLY mean you would KILL to be 115, then this is a problem. If you don't mean it, then you should still consider the power that words can have. Using language that intense with regards to weight is not a great indication of a healthy attitude.

Of course I don't mean literally.

ETA; I've been obese all of my adult life. Although I perhaps did not chose the right words, what I mean to say is, I would really love to be a HEALTHY weight. I was trying to emphasize that 115 lbs at 5'2 is a healthy weight and that perhaps she should be happy at that weight... as opposed to unhealthy and obese... like me. I'm sorry if my wording offended anyone.

Dont worry, I understand thats just a saying and didnt mean it literally.. You didnt really need to apologize.
  • mmargarette
    Options
    It's normal to be a little heavier as you mature, nothing wrong with that. Instead of focusing on weight loss I'd recommend focusing on body composition. Do some strength training, eat at a VERY small deficit or at maintenance (since you're close to underweight) and eat a lot of protein to retain your muscle.

I'm REALLY not sure what strength training I should do. Body weight exercises you mean? Or with resistance? I can only workout at home with 5lbs dumbbells. Not sure if I should get heavier ones but 5lbs seem pretty ok to me because after a few reps, I can feel the burn already :)) well with arm exercises tho.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'm REALLY not sure what strength training I should do. Body weight exercises you mean? Or with resistance? I can only workout at home with 5lbs dumbbells. Not sure if I should get heavier ones but 5lbs seem pretty ok to me because after a few reps, I can feel the burn already :)) well with arm exercises tho.

Do you have access to a gym? If you do, get Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read and follow the instructions.

If you don't, get You Are Your Own Gym-- it's body weight. The important thing is to get a program with progressive overload. You should be adding more resistance over time.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    One Week? You shouldn't really be worried about one week! When I was 398 Pounds, I never even lost a pound until four weeks into my daily exercises. Now I'm 201. . Don't give up! Just keep working away ....You can achieve your goals!!!
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Look into "You are Your Own Gym" and/or "Convict Conditioning"...these are both good body weight routines. You should be doing an actual routine to reap the most benefits...just willy nilly doing whatever isn't going to get you very far and 5 Lb dumbbells aren't going to do much at all; I bet your purse weighs more than that.

On that note...why does it seem like everyone on the planet has 5 Lb dumbbells? They're good for pretty much weighing paper down if it's windy.
  • mmargarette
    Options

Do you have access to a gym? If you do, get Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read and follow the instructions.

If you don't, get You Are Your Own Gym-- it's body weight. The important thing is to get a program with progressive overload. You should be adding more resistance over time.

Is cardio only optional if I do that ^ ?
  • mmargarette
    Options

Look into "You are Your Own Gym" and/or "Convict Conditioning"...these are both good body weight routines. You should be doing an actual routine to reap the most benefits...just willy nilly doing whatever isn't going to get you very far and 5 Lb dumbbells aren't going to do much at all; I bet your purse weighs more than that.

On that note...why does it seem like everyone on the planet has 5 Lb dumbbells? They're good for pretty much weighing paper down if it's windy.

Do you think I should stop T25 or any cardio workout?
  • metalloz
    metalloz Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I guess everyone needs to start somewhere. She is feeling the burn after a few reps with 5Lb's, so will have to build up as she gains strength.
  • wen1965
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and through my teens I weighed 99lbs. Then one year my body decided I needed more fat reserves, I went from a B cup to a C cup and went up to 115lb in 12 months. I stayed at that weight until I was 40 (with the exception of pregnancy of course). Its weird the way we develop in bursts, that could be what is happening to you.

If I was you - well I was you - I wouldn't use scales. Eat healthy, exercise, ensure you have enough energy to do everything that you want to do and you are not unhealthy. I didn't get any weight related problems until I reached 125lbs at the age of 43 and had to lose weight to regain my health, this was caused by mental health issues, medication and overeating.

Listen to your body, eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Eat the right foods and you have a good start to a healthy life. I really don't think a calorie controlled diet is good for you at this point, sure measure calorific intake if you wish but some days under and some days over is fine and normal. Sometimes we are hungrier than others so trying to keep the intake to the same everyday is not learning to listen to what your body needs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Is cardio only optional if I do that ^ ?

Cardio is optional. It's good for overall health and fitness.
  • karenowen60
    karenowen60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am glad this question was asked, because I have been working my butt off for a week, running, jogging, walking, playing sport & only eating my 1200 calories and all I see is the scales going up. I find it very disheartening that this is happening, but I guess because I too have only a few lbs to lose, it will take time.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to perhaps what I am doing wrong, that the scales are going up instead of down.
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    i have found that Jillian Michaels has a lot of videos on YouTube. Many of witch include cardio and strength training. Circuit training is great for that. My aim is to get to where u r now. i have been there most of my life and the last few yrs had some changes that i didn't keep in check. I know at the size u are currently you don't have much to lose. If u feel ur to "flabby" do some core exercises and see where u land in a month. It does take time to get to your optimum size but the scale isn't the best way to know if u are there. Good luck
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Do you think I should stop T25 or any cardio workout?

cardio is weight lifting for your heart and lungs. I do cardio and I lift. I'm not really familiar with T25...but if you are doing some real resistance training you will need to give your muscles some recovery time...that's where the magic happens where resistance training is concerned.

A good, well rounded fitness routine is going to have elements of both cardiovascular fitness and resistance training. You just need to make sure you are adequately fueling your body for the activity that you are doing. The more activity you do, the greater your body's calorie requirements.