Add calories for weight lifting?

Options
I started lifting weights today... this morning after doing my 30 min of cardio my calorie count watch stated I burned 800 cals but myfitness pal did not give me any calories for lifting weights it only gave me 156 calories for the cardio. Is that normal or did I do something wrong? Do you guys give yourselves calories for weight lifting? My husband states I need to eat more protein if I'm lifting but I'm afraid to add calories if I'm not supposed to but I don't want to under eat...

Replies

• trying18
    trying18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to calculate calories for wt lifting- i do the NROLFW. i just don't enter calories on the days I lift.
    wonder what others are doing
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I do not.

I also would say your 800 calories burned for 30 minutes of cardio is not correct either.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You enter Strength training under cardio and it will give you a number the other spot is just for keeping track of sets etc.
  • silasrd
    silasrd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you - that is exactly what I needed to know to add cals for strength training!
  • Erebekah33
    Erebekah33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting for awhile now..and I see what u mean..800 calories isnt right..weight lifting burn as much or even more..it takes 15/20, to do cardio so ur in fat burning zone..it takes 27seconds of lifting weights to start burning fat..30mins if weight lifting burns alot ..look up a calorie app for workouts and log ur weight and intensity..it will show u..but u will see fast inches gone..but u might weigh more..as for calories just base ur diet on protein and good carbs. I weighted less before but not so toned now im a little more but lost more inches and tighter...im not looking at scale this time im going with measuring tape...keep the faith. U will do it..:wink:
  • trying18
    Options
    Thank you so very much. I have been a member for >2 yrs and did not figure this out! At least now I can track my strength training. I am 138 lbs and entered 60 mts of strength training and got 188 cal. not bad. I know we don't burn much during strength training but the after burn and the burn from increased muscle are great. hope I loose what i want to this year.
  • afbratsx3
    Options
    Thanks, this helped. I was starving on the days I was only weight training!
  • trying18
    Options
    i don't have the will power so i eat 1400 cal on all days. so far lost 2 lbs. Hoping to build some muscle. being vegetarian it is really difficult to get protein without carb. i do eat eggs, so that helps. can't get my protein intake to go above 50 without increasing the cal. it is so difficult but I am persisting.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting for awhile now..and I see what u mean..800 calories isnt right..weight lifting burn as much or even more..it takes 15/20, to do cardio so ur in fat burning zone..it takes 27seconds of lifting weights to start burning fat..30mins if weight lifting burns alot ..look up a calorie app for workouts and log ur weight and intensity..it will show u..but u will see fast inches gone..but u might weigh more..as for calories just base ur diet on protein and good carbs. I weighted less before but not so toned now im a little more but lost more inches and tighter...im not looking at scale this time im going with measuring tape...keep the faith. U will do it..:wink:

uhhh...no. Lifting burns far less calories per session than cardio does. Its benefits are not in the "calories burned" department.
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals regarding weights. If you are wanting to gain muscle mass (beyond the newbie gains), then you will need to eat all your calories (no deficit) at least. This will slowly add muscle. If you are trying to lose weight while maintaining the muscle mass you have, you eat at a deficit. This sounds like what you are wanting to do. I would join the groupo "Eat, Train, Progress." It has taught me a lot and answered a lot of questions. Also, I think you HRM may be off. 800 calories for 1/2 hour is beyond accurate...maybe 250? I would trust myfitnesspal. Good luck!
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options

uhhh...no. Lifting burns far less calories per session than cardio does. Its benefits are not in the "calories burned" department.

I would agree with this. Calorie burns would be dependant on the number of sets/reps/weight lifted, not how long you were lifting. To me this is too much. I lift because I want to build muscle but I do not enter weight lifting. I enter the cardio only and then keep within my daily allowance, so far it is working well. I just consider the weightlifting calories as covering any margin of error on any food intake I may inproperly log.

Also I don't even know if Lance Armstrong could burn over 800 calories in 30 minutes, this lady must be in some serious aerobic shape to burn at that level. I'm all out to burn 500 in 30 minutes.
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio and go straight onto weights afterwards and i do log my weight lifting calories. I do this because I put a lot of effort into lifting so my heart rate increases so I figure I must be burning (plus my heart rate is still elevated from the cardio). I wear a hrm so can see how many cals I burn during cardio and can then see my burn increasing during my strength session, particularly when doing compound lifts. However, if someone reading this knows this is incorrect, please feel free to tell me. I'd rather be doing it right... Sorry to hijack your post OP :wink:
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump