Common User Data Errors when submitting Foods

Options
All,

I have noticed the most common error that users are commiting when submitting and recording foods, is that they are not using the amounts for "1 Serving". Instead they are submitting for the entire content. Thats wrong.

Please be careful and only add per serving.

Also I have found just a general lack of precision when adding foods.

Remember this old saying, "Data In, Data Out".... Your database is only as good as the information put in.

Replies

• ginnyroxx
    Options
    you tell 'em! :wink:
  • mab0669
    Options
    I don't trust any user supplied info. I use to trust them when they had a lot of confirmations, but I checked a few that I used frequently and they were incorrect. I keep a calorie book right next to my computer so I can verify every entry. It's no wonder I see so many posts from people who aren't losing weight.
  • FreeRiderInNOVA
    FreeRiderInNOVA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree. I'm glad that there is a quick link to the foods I enter as I know they are correct. I have checked some of the others and and about half have been wrong.

I will do my due diligence and correct the ones I find but I'm now hesitant to make my entries public because does that mean they someone can change my entry?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    no, making your entries public only means other people can view your food diary.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I don't trust any user supplied info. I use to trust them when they had a lot of confirmations, but I checked a few that I used frequently and they were incorrect. I keep a calorie book right next to my computer so I can verify every entry. It's no wonder I see so many posts from people who aren't losing weight.

I agree - I have found several errors - I just go in and correct them when I see that. I now check everything I eat to make sure the caloric value is correct as well as the sodium, protein and sugars (those are my areas of concern).

Vickie
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    ditto this.
    i check that the information is correct before I use it.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Could someone enlighten me here? Are you saying that anyone can submit a food item calorie count to the data base? I was under the impression that the the experts at MFP were responsible for the data base.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Could someone enlighten me here? Are you saying that anyone can submit a food item calorie count to the data base? I was under the impression that the the experts at MFP were responsible for the data base.

If you look at foods under database, you will see it usually says, "submitted by user" or something to that effect. It also has the number of confirmation for that food. This is a free site. I'm sure there is no one entering foods into the data base 40 hours a week. That said, i find most entrys to be close, if not, i correct them. It's easy, and i'm more than happy to do my part.:wink:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Most of the entries in the database are user entered. Anyone from ANYWHERE in the world can enter data. Just because it doesn't exactly match what the product in your hand says on the lable does not make the entry incorrect. Different countries have different units of measurement. Different countries allow different ingredients in the product that can change the nutritional information. Different countries have different information listed on the labels. Manufacturers can change the labels on their products as often as they need. Look around in the database before you change information and see if you find another entry that matches what you have.

I had been using the same entry nearly daily for a particular product, and then one day it was different....

As for experts at MFP, there are just a couple guys that created it for personal use, then opened it up for the public to use. There is no large corporation sponsoring the site, no paid employees, and no cost to you because of this.
  • FreeRiderInNOVA
    FreeRiderInNOVA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes, its all user entered.