Sugar in fruit

Options
Is fruit sugar the same as eating a biscuit or something?
A lot of people say to not eat much fruit at all but i eat quite a lot of it and end up going way over my sugar allowance in my diary.
What do you think?

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit for the day, too! I'm going over my sugars daily with at least -30. So I'm wondering the same thing?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'd just ignore it, we didn't get fat eating too many apples and bananas. ;)

Too much other good stuff in fruit to sweat the fructose ... vitamins, fibre, etc.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Generally, unless you have some medical condition, you don't have to worry about the sugar in fruit.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ^ Agreed with the two people above me; don't worry bout it. Rather sugar from fruit with all the other benefits than sugar from lollies with no extra benefits!
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'd just ignore it, we didn't get fat eating too many apples and bananas. ;)

Too much other good stuff in fruit to sweat the fructose ... vitamins, fibre, etc.

Totally this!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say to not eat much fruit at all but i eat quite a lot of it and end up going way over my sugar allowance in my diary.
    What do you think?

We ABSOLUTELY will get fat eating too much apples and bananas! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our bodies can only process so much fructose in the liver...Excess fructose is turned to fat!!! and most in the belly!!! (that is where the obesity is coming from... Try keeping your sugar (total sugar) at 10 percent of your calories.... You will not have to ask the question again because you will reach your goal and maintain and NEVER have to go on a diet ever again.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I would have agreed about eat as much as you want- till I went on a tropical fruit binge on a recent overseas vacation.
    I totally o.d'd on it. breakfast, after lunch, snacks , after dinner. I ended up with IBS symptoms and now 3 weeks after my return my stomach can't tolerate any fructose without terrible consequences.
    I also gained 4 kilos in that time away, and I was eating salads and plant based meals besides fruit.
    Since I've cut all fructose out ( sadly , I still love fruit) I have lost 2.5 of those kilos.
    That's just my cautionary tale of going mental for mangoes, grapes watermelon paw paw apples etc.!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    It is true that fruit is great for the body! all the vitamins, fiber etc! BUT, BUT BUT... only so much... and only so much means about 10 percent of your calories.... our bodies can only process so much fructose... the remainder is converted to fat!!! That is a fact.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    An excess of calories leads to fat storage. Please don't spread FUD.

If any sugar is to me of concern it is that which is added after the fact. I do believe it's not held as fact though. It is just recommended that one keep ADDED sugars to somewhere around 30g.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What do you think?

Yes and no. When was the last time you heard someone say they'd sat down and eaten a dozen apples? The sugar in fruit, fructose, isn't processed like the sugar in cookies and things is and there is enough fibre in fruit to stop us from eating too much of it all at once. Fruit juice, even fresh, is a different story. It takes something like 10 apples to make a pint of juice, and you wouldn't eat all 10 at once. Yes, fructose can make you go way over the sugar limit if you're drinking juices etc., and you should be aiming for a healthy diet that includes fruit with a lot of other things, but two or three pieces of fruit a day is good for you and an important source of fibre and other nutrients.

If it came down to a choice between a punnet of strawberries or some cookies, absolutely reach for the strawberries. You'll feel much better for it and stay full for longer.

I know that a lot of people find the MFP goal for sugar a bit low. It's a rare day that I don't go over by at least 10 but that does mostly come from fruit (I usually eat two pieces a day). It's good to be aware of it though. Obviously if you're maxing it out in a huge way you'll probably want to reassess your sugar intake.

:)
  • tashalloyd330
    tashalloyd330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This topic always confuses me. But I do know this: eating fruit is better than eating sugar in candy form, because at least you are eating less fat, more vitamins.

Also, I have lost almost 70 lbs in a year, and I eat a lot of sugar in the form of fruits. Just saying, it is possible.
  • riginthering
    Options
    Sucrose is the sugar in biscuits. It is a refined sugar, and incredibly simple, so it breaks down faster than your body can process it usefully.

Fructose is the sugar in fruit. It is a complex sugar, so it takes a little bit more energy to break down (we're talking less than it takes to run a watch, though).

What's more important here is what you're getting WITH those sugars. In biscuits, its white flour with almost no nutritional value besides the gluten, so its basically just more simple carbs. In fruit, you're getting the fiber, vitamins, micronutrients, blah blah blah.

IF you ingest a lot of fruit (particularly berries/citrus/pineapple/etc), keep in mind you're taking in three things: sugar, vitamin c, and water. All three of these things in excess lead up to a LOT of bathroom trips in a very short span of time.

Basically, don't sweat going over your sugar allowance, but also rotate what kinds of fruits you're eating every day. Anyone who is working out daily should be eating a banana at the very least. Then something with vitamin C, then an apple or pear.

Also keep in mind that a lot of "vegetables" are actually fruit with lower sugar content: squash/cucumbers, tomatoes, pumpkin, etc. The vegetables that are actually vegetables are mostly either leafy greens or starches. If you're really trying to control your weight, cut down on starches like potatoes, corn, and jicama (sorry, jicama: you know I love you, baby).
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    This topic always confuses me. But I do know this: eating fruit is better than eating sugar in candy form, because at least you are eating less fat, more vitamins.

Also, I have lost almost 70 lbs in a year, and I eat a lot of sugar in the form of fruits. Just saying, it is possible.

We will always lose weight when we, even without knowing, cut down on sugar!!!!