Make you think twice about Dr. Oz

Options
I was just listening to Howard Stern's January 7th episode.
Apparently Sal (the Stockbroker) Governale is treating Dr. Oz's word like the gospel, and is following several of his health tips.

If you are a fan of Howard, and are familiar with Sal, then you know how destructive this is to Dr. Oz's credibility.

Replies

• Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    Dr oz had a woman( who's views he supported) on his show saying that it's better for some people to have potato chips vs real potatos/ sweet potatos.
    That is all.

Never watched another episode after that
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    His show consists of convincing overweight women that kale, acai, flaxseed oil,(insert health trend of the month), all have some sort of magic powers that will make the weight just fall off. Don't get me wrong, these are all great, nutrient dense foods that I would recommend people incorporate into their diets but as a future physician myself, it definitely bugs me to see him compromise his integrity as a medical professional for the sake of TV ratings. There's no secret formula/magic bullet for losing weight and getting healthier. It all boils down to burning more calories than you take in.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My favorite of his recommendations is the Bach flower spray. It is the dew collected from flowers, then diluted in water in something like one part to ten thousand. Supposedly, some guy with special powers walks through the flower field and picks up "vibes" from the flowers, giving him the sensation of "strength", or "overcoming stress", or "courage", or other BS like that. Then it is sold with the purpose of spraying this stuff on your tongue, to impart that miracle power.

This is endorsed by Dr Oz. How can people not realize what a quack he is?
  • Olblueiiii
    Olblueiiii Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find that Dr. Oz's advice often contradicts his advice from previous episodes.
  • Breezedew
    Breezedew Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I find that Dr. Oz's advice often contradicts his advice from previous episodes.

I agree! One episode says to not eat dairy and you'll lose weight automatically, then months later it says to drink 8oz 3 times a day to easily lose weight.

The women at our local health food store just laugh, but I guess it helps them sell product!
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Super buggy! The automatons take his words as gospel.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    many of us on this site already know this guy to be a quack. i was expecting this thread to actually be something in his favor :laugh:

but umm, yeah, carry on. he gives really dumb advice and advocates snake oil
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Apparently Sal (the Stockbroker) Governale is treating Dr. Oz's word like the gospel, and is following several of his health tips.

If you are a fan of Howard, and are familiar with Sal, then you know how destructive this is to Dr. Oz's credibility.

Dr. Oz has credibility?
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Every single episode="Next up, we'll tell you the shocking weight loss secret that they won't tell you about."

Ridiculous quackery. Anyone who tries to tell you that there's a secret weight loss drug/food/drink is a liar. Plain and simple.
  • RunawayDaisy
    Options
    I know someone who just started a sugar free diet he has recommended...hmmm I wonder if I should share your comments here.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    We call his followers "Oz-Holes". A lot of the time they come in looking for stuff he recommends and have no idea what its even for. That always blows my mind.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I DON'T NEED TO THINK ABOUT THAT QUACK ONCE, LET ALONE TWICE.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    raspberry ketones anyone?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    We call his followers "Oz-Holes". A lot of the time they come in looking for stuff he recommends and have no idea what its even for. That always blows my mind.

:laugh:
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    raspberry ketones anyone?

Your response never fails to make me laugh!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oh and then my mom is always watching his show..and I keep telling her he is bunk and she is like "he is a cardiologist" and I am like "and that somehow qualifies him to give advice on dieting and nutrition" to which she says "you were always such a smart *kitten*" to which I reply "guilty as charged"….sigh...
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Dr oz had a woman( who's views he supported) on his show saying that it's better for some people to have potato chips vs real potatos/ sweet potatos.
    That is all.

Never watched another episode after that

:noway:

I never give TV personalities much thought (just not my cup of tea), but that. That is some kind of ridiculous.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    It's a joke
    But there was one tip I loved.

The one where he used baloons to illustrate how important it is to let all those farts out and not hold back.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz has credibility?

That was my thought!! I can't understand why people listen to this joker.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would never watch his show or believe his silly fads but his books are actually pretty good. I think he wrote them before his show.

This is the doctor who gained fame by talking about poop on Oprah. He knows he's got to keep people talking about SOMEthing on his show, and you can't talk about poop daily, so may as well talk about the next diet fad. And it's not going to fuel water cooler talk if he shoots the fads down, he has to say they may work. Kind of a sellout for attention.