The Rice Diet Solution - thoughts?

Options

Replies

• Aliceinzombieland187
    Options
    It's a great diet if you don't exercise and need to drop weight fast. It's hard to find things that fit the guidelines (500-800mg sodium/0-4g fat/no added sugar) but once you do your label reading and start living a pescatarian life, it's easy to follow. It is easy to get creative once you learn to love the taste of food. It is a great kick starter also. I'm doing just that. I adjust as I go. I need the protein and fats so i choose to substitute a plant based protein powder for a starch. After i lose the initial 20 lbs i need to then I'll add it instead of substitute. Plus I'll be muscle building and muscles (including the brain) NEED protein. This is my go to diet and i have no problems adding red meat and pizza after i refamiliarize myself with the strict guidelines. I get carried away with work and stress sometimes and i forget to eat right but when i need the guidance, this works every time. I've lost 50 lbs by using this "dieta" and it is a struggle to keep it off but that is because major weightloss for me isn't easy. I am close to finding the balance i need to maintain the weightloss easily. Over the years I've discovered that building muscle (and adding protein) and staying active is a huge step to maintaining. The rice diet focuses mainly on the food and could improve by helping guide into an active lifestyle as well. I haven't read the newest book though and it looks like they touch base on those topics there. But always always intake protein to build muscle. It also helps curb hunger pangs that other things just can't.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think I prefer the good old fashioned calorie deficit method.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    A diet low in calories, fat and protein. What could go wrong?

^^^ this
  • AuroraCoL
    AuroraCoL Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want so long as you stay within your calorie limits. In terms of losing weight, what you eat doesn't matter. That being said, it's best to include lots of protein and fiber so you feel fuller on your calorie budget. I would stick with what you know works for you - so long as you're counting your calories accurately, and staying within your budget, you'll see the results.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.~Mitch Hedberg

Um concerning diets I would just read and use theses links...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://evidencemag.com/why-calories-count/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

ETA:You really do not have to over-complicate/restrict what and how you eat.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It's just another way to restrict calories. Weight is lost because it is low in calories, there's nothing magic about it.

I'd go guano-crazy after a day or too.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the slow and stead, eat "healthful" food 80% of the time and at a calorie deficit plan

EDIT: AAARG another zombie thread :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    EDIT: NVM just another necro-posted thread.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Absolute bottom water (IMHO)
    Lifestyle change is the key, not this sort of daftness.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to register a self-righteous 'lifestyle over fad diet' comment in order to boost my perceived online persona profile.

I hope it's received and my collective group 'common sense' approval rating appreciates accordingly.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've read over 50 books on different dieting plans, including this book, and this one stands out to me as the worst one, hands down, (and that's saying something, because I've read some pretty crappy dieting books lol). Just don't even go there :noway:
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It is a ridiculous fad that many will fall for. If you do lose weight it will be because you are eating at a deficit and you can do that with any foods. Just make sure to get proper nutrition for your body and eat at a deficit. I am trying to prevent the loss of LBM, so I wouldn't go near this diet.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think a few million people in some countries live like this, whether they choose to or not.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I have to write a diet book with lots of glossy pictures.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do a rice pudding diet, but I'm pretty sure my bowels would disagree
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, where's the bacon?
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    Oh dear.

Bumping this up since my doctor just put me on the diet and I'm cringing at some of the remarks.

Looks like many people haven't thoroughly researched The Rice Diet. It certainly is NOT a fad as it was developed in 1939 by Dr. Kempner and the center only closed last year. Dr. Kempner definitely had personal issues, ultimately those issues are why Duke University distanced itself and eventually severed ties. However, his work has stood the test of time.

The Rice Center may have closed, but Doctors still prescribe it for severe situations. Mine just put me on it since I gained weight rapidly and there are now certain concerns about my health (see my introduction post for more details on that). Is it restrictive? Yes. Is it unhealthy? Absolutely not. My calories will still be between 1000-1200 kcal/daily and I am being monitored weekly by my doctor while on it. And, the maintenance program is realistic once I get to it.

More on the Rice Center and its recent closure:
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/10/rice-diet-shuts-down-north-carolina-home-after-70-years/

I just find it frustrating when I read some threads here. Anything that isn't "moderation" discounted as a fad. While there are definitely programs out there that aren't healthy and even dangerous, it isn't always the case.

Be Well,
    Amanda

ETA: I just realized this thread was started 3 years ago. Not sure why it was resurrected. But hey, still throwing in my .02 cents. ;)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I've never found longterm success with any plan that consists of a precisely measured out and itemized menu. Before I lost weight, I tried the cabbage soup diet, the apple cider vinegar diet, the 3-day military diet, Xenadrine, Dexatrim, Lipozene, Alli, and any other quick fix I came across. I haven't heard of the rice diet, and maybe there is some validity to it, but I learned the hard way through trial and failure that my only route to success was a lifestyle change. Not a diet. I wish you luck on it, though. Hopefully, your doctor is spot on for what your body needs.
  • gingersnap303
    Options
    I've never found longterm success with any plan that consists of a precisely measured out and itemized menu. Before I lost weight, I tried the cabbage soup diet, the apple cider vinegar diet, the 3-day military diet, Xenadrine, Dexatrim, Lipozene, Alli, and any other quick fix I came across. I haven't heard of the rice diet, and maybe there is some validity to it, but I learned the hard way through trial and failure that my only route to success was a lifestyle change. Not a diet. I wish you luck on it, though. Hopefully, your doctor is spot on for what your body needs.

A 70+ year old program originated at Duke, that doctors still prescribe for kidney, heart, blood pressure and weight loss issues? It's valid and shouldn't be lumped with the fads above. As Amy Jamieson-Petonic, an RD at the Cleveland Clinic said in the link I posted above, it's a sound diet that fell out of favor because it isn't the latest and greatest, or what people want to hear.

I had concerns too. But since I'm someone that researches the *kitten* out of something after it's prescribed to me, be it a medication or a diet. So I now know the ins and outs about Dr. Kempner and The Rice Diet. And in this case, my Dr. is using food as medication...

Be Well,
    Amanda
  • ElfiePoo
    ElfiePoo Posts: 2
    Options
    Please, before deciding this is a 'fad' or unhealthy, read the book...not just what one website or article said. I did do the rice diet and stayed on it for a year. I started at over 300 pounds. I couldn't go to the clinic in Durham, so I just did it on my own. At the time, the rice house also ran a forum where you could get advice from Kitty Rosati at the Rice House.

When I saw the diet, I thought for sure I would be hungry all the time...800 calories to start? Low Fat? Ouch. Surprisingly, since I was always hungry on a 1200 calorie weight watchers or even a 1500 calorie Atkins, I was *never* hungry. I always saved one piece of fruit (usually berries or an apple) for a mid-meal and evening snack and the natural fruit sugar really kept my energy level stable.

Unlike others, I found that the lack of choices was a major benefit to me. On low carb, the taste of the fats and meats made me mentally crave more. The starches and natural fruit sugars on the RD satisfied me mentally and physically. I ate Boca burgers in half of a whole wheat pita with alfalfa sprouts on it for lunch, rice with banana and unsweetened almond milk poured over it for breakfast, etc. Some people here questioned the lack of protein. My favorite 'protein' was a bean/rice pot. Beans & rice make a complete protein. Eating 2/3 of a cup of rice & beans (or other allowed choices), along with about 1 and 1/2 cups of vegies and a fruit (for midmeal break) kept me full and happy...and not constantly thinking about food. I will be honest and say I ignored the 'low sodium' part of the diet. I don't have hypertension and didn't care if I held a bit of extra fluid...and actually, I found that cutting out the sodium caused me to have leg cramps.

Did I stick to it 100%? Mostly. On Thanksgiving I had turkey, gravy and potatoes and even a couple bites of pecan pie...but due to eating so little in the months prior, it didn't take much to make me feel full. On my birthday, I had lobster, butter, and a few bites of german chocolate cake...because that's all I could handle. There were a few other instances, but I'd say about 95% of the time, I was on plan.

The first week on plan, I lost 15 pounds (most of it water). Over the next year, I lost a total of 190 lbs which averages out to a little over 3.5 pounds per week. I did not exercise. I hate to exercise...but as I took off the weight I found I wanted to be more active. My husband and I would go out for a walk on nice evenings or we'd go hiking on nature trails when we traveled (which is often). Since losing my weight 10 years ago, I discovered yoga and tai chi and at the age of 60, now teach both at senior citizen centers.

Now I just eat a healthy diet and keep an eye on my weight. I give myself a 5 lb leeway and when it hits that 5 lb mark, I'm back on the RD...and usually back to my appropriate weight in 2 weeks. This is not a fad. Yes it is low fat and low calorie, but it is as varied as you want to make it. There are *lots* more choices than just rice!

Just wanted to add that the most important factor in any diet is what you can live with. Find what you can live with and what works for *you*.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Original Post: October 22, 2011
    Zombie Post Rebirth: Jan, 2014