Question for the girls

Options
I have a question about birth control. I've never been on the pill and have been thinking about getting started on it. I've heard that weight gain is a possible side effect and I've been working REALLY hard to lose what I've lost so far. I don't want to throw all that effort away. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Replies

• rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    it didn't make me gain weight that I noticed, but it did make me really sick!! i would feel nauseous and moody all the time.. it was awful. i did some research and now i use the nuvaring because the hormones are local and don't affect your entire body as severely as taking the pill (which is a much higher dose because it has to travel all over your body to do what it is supposed to as opposed to the nuvaring where the hormones are absorbed right through the vaginal wall).

there are girls who say it didn't affect them this way, so you may have to see how your body reacts.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this......http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/body_weight/weight_gain/contraceptive_pill.htm........it makes sense. I think as you are already watching calories, and armed with the above knowledge you will be fine
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I lost weight when I started birth control....I think it's all a matter of the individual. Starting any new medication can cause weight to fluctuate. I wouldn't be overly concerned, it was mentioned above that being conscious of the possibility is all you need....I agree. I think a majority of the reported weight gain is probably due to hormonal changes which can cause increase emotion (hello comfort eating), and alter your metabolism. I'd say try it, and if you get concerned, consult with your doctor to see if you can get a different formula. Keep in mind, it can take up to three months for your body to adjust to the changes, so most doctors recommend you stick with it for those months. That might be a period of weight gain, but once your body adjusts, you'll be right back on track. :)
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    It made me gain weight (but not a huge amount, a few pounds), get moody (this was the worst symptom) and finally it got me PREGNANT!

I was on a mini-pill which is supposed to give you less of those symptoms, but it is also less effective, hence me getting pregnant.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I definitely gained weight when I went on the pill but that was also around the time I gave up competitive swimming!
    It does depend on what pill you go on too. But I think the reason people put on so much weight is because the pill tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant with added hormones. Therefore your appetite increases because your body thinks it needs to accommodate for a baby too!

I gained 4 and a half stone after starting the pill and quitting swimming. I've tried losing weight so many times but it never worked until I joined this site. I honestly believed it was impossible for me to lose weight! So you've definitely done the right thing in coming here. Not only will you lose the weight you want to lose but you'll learn to control your eating so it doesn't blow out of proportion.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have been on birth control for 2 years now and I don't buy into the myth that it makes you gain weight. I know that Depo is supposed to do that, but the pill is not. It hasn't made me gain weight at all. What makes me gain weight is when I eat too much and don't exercise...but that is just like anyone else and has nothing to do with the pill.

I take my pill right before falling asleep as opposed to right when I wake up which is what my OB suggested. It has cut down on a lot of the side affects that are possible including the moodiness. I used to get that at first because I took the pill in the morning, but that went away when I changed the time I take it.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain with the pill, but highly recommend nuvaring. I switched a few months ago and love it! You barely know it's there
  • DigitalRain
    Options
    I was on OrthTricyclen. I did gain a few lbs but it wasnt like a ton of lbs. I wish I could get back on it, it kept my skin clear, and I wasn't as moody around that time of the month.
  • shelled
    Options
    I've tried several brands of birth control pills until I found the one I stuck with – Mercilon.

What I've noticed is that almost all birth control pills will creating some temporal weight gain/bloating in the first 4-8 weeks (varies individually) and this was confirmed by my doctor. But once the hormones settle in nicely with your body, the weight will go away and you might even lose some extra pounds!

A good birth control pill will reduce your PMS symptoms, thus reducing PMS food cravings and helping with your weight loss journey. :)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've taken Yaz for over 3 years now, and I really like it.. Except only recently, I've started to get these bad headaches when I'm stopping for the month for my 4 days of inactive pills.

I don't hold birth control to blame for weight gain. I was on it years before and stayed my skinny weight. I blame moving in with my ex and adopting poor eating habits. The most you may gain is a pound or so via water retention from the hormones.
  • Jess116
    Jess116 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain anything. I think I may have even lost a few initially. Like the other girls said though, there are many, many different pills. So try a few until you find one that works for you. Good luck!
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Basically what everyone said pretty much sums it up-but I'll tell you my take on it.

I'm on Orthotricylcin-lo.. a low dose birth control. I've been on it for about.. I think 3 or 4 years now. It didn't make me gain weight initially, but then again I didn't get a huge amount of side effects with it in general. I have taken it every day because I get horrible cramps that leave me unable to even get out of bed around that time of the month. And this pill definitely helped me.
    However-
    Before I started the pill, I didn't have any PMS symptoms besides the cramps. Now that I've been on it, I notice I do get a bit more moody about a week before my period. Not so much snappy, but I'll get sad/happy very easily.
    Also-it does really help to take it before you go to bed instead of in the morning-it really does stop a lot of the side affects that you might have.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain. You may go up a bust size though-that was common with a few of my friends. Also I had a few of them who lost weight, and a couple who gained like 2 lbs the first month or so then it went off. So just don't change your routine, and then you should be fine.
    I'd recommend going on the pill definitely-it makes life as a woman a bit more predictable/easier to handle-especially if you get terrible cramps like i did or anything of that sort.
    Just be sure to keep track of it as well when you're sexually active.. because I've known of people to get pregnant on it if they aren't so good with taking the pill at the right time/every day.. so if you have any doubt at all-I'd back it up with other forms of birth control.

Good luck :)
  • jonilegg
    Options
    I used the nuva ring and LOVED it!!! Didn't gain any weight from it either. I liked not having to remember to take a pill every day :)