Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

C25K Options

I would like to start incorporating a little more running in my routine and meet my fear of running head on. Such a wimp when it comes to running, seems like I just get winded so quickly. Does anyone have any good suggestions on a C25K (Couch to 5K) program that is good?

Replies

• doubleclick_darling
    doubleclick_darling Posts: 100 Member
    I've attempted a number of versions of C25k and have felt like it was too much too soon for me as I got out of the earlier weeks and would just give up. That being said, a friend recently suggested Zombies, Run! by Six to Start, and through that, I also downloaded and began their own 5K trainer (which syncs up with my Zombies, Run walks that I do on alternating days).

The pace is slower, and it is incorporating more than just walking and jogging intervals. I just started week 2, and after each 30 second run, there are 5 heel lifts, which give a bit of a break up. I also enjoy the 10 minute "freeform" at the end where you can choose your own pace (I usually do it at a slow jog, though I did increase my speed a little today).

It isn't a free app, but for me, it was worth the $2 to buy.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    I like 'Ease I to 5k'. It gives you a map and pace for both the walking and running parts of the activity.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I used Run Double in combination with RunKeeper. And Pandora for the tunes!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i use the zombies, run 5k app on my phone. you start off with running for 15 seconds and walking for a minute and then it builds on that. plus there's a story line where you are a survivor in the zombie apocalypse and you are training to be able to run on missions to help out your colony.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    I use the C25K app by Zen Labs on the treadmill, (1 more week left). I also use Runtastic and Zombies, Run! when I run outside.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I started w/zen labs but was bored to tears & switched to the Zombies Run by six to start C25k. I went from 0 running to 4 miles in just under 8 weeks. Also BTW if you are getting winded you are going too fast. It took me a while to figure this out. If you could possibly go any slower then go slower, you should be able to carry on a conversation. The C25K program is a conditioning program, speed will come later. Don't worry about your time, go slow, even slower than slow like grandma in her walker could run faster than you slow & you will be amazed @ how far you could run w/out getting winded. Good luck.
  • hilarific1283
    hilarific1283 Posts: 10 Member
    I did the C25K from start to finish and it took about 9 weeks. I was just under 300lbs when I started. Running 60 seconds at a time was a challenge. I was slow but I eventually made it. Fast forward 5 months and I'm now running 5+ miles at a time and training for my first 25K! I'm still slow but I don't care. I feel incredible.

I wrote a whole post about how I was able to finish it on my blog. Feel free to check it out.

http://www.gettingthroughlife.com/2013/10/c25k-tips-and-tricks.html
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I use the Zen Labs c25k, since it's free :P
  • I started using C25K and honestly thought the app linked to MFP! Have I missed something or is there a way to link them or am I going completely mad??

I have both the MFP and the C25K app having paid the extra $1.99 just so I didn't have to put up with the ads :)