Replies

• PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My thyroid sucks..
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had surgery and couldn't exercise for 2 months. And I didn't have enough hours at work to afford food -- I could only accept what people gave me, which was usually boxed goods. (I still don't make enough, but I'm more demanding of healthy foods.) Being depressed from the after effects of surgery, not being able to work out, and not having enough hours at work all led me to eat bad food and gain weight.

I only gained 10 back, and I'm working on losing it again. Can finally work out once more. ^^
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and didn't care if I gained weight at the time.

Now to get back to my goal and stay there!
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you consider this like a diet with an end date, you're doomed to fail at some point. That's what got me. It's a lifetime change. Moving and eating right is supposed to last forever. This way the occasionnal treat doesn't show. Neither on the scale or in the way your clothes fit.
  • Loriabbrill
    Loriabbrill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am an addict and when I gave up the real bad stuff I took up food....it became my friend...I used Smarties to quit cigarettes (almost 8 years ago) and then just kind of adopted food as the comfort, the fix, the new addiction. A "justifiable" fix! So 120 lbs. later I went on here over a year ago and lost 35 pounds! Then we had 2 losses in the family, and I needed the "drug" again. Well, 40 pounds came back, so here we are again. At least I know it works, tried and true. The key is the mindset and recognizing that eating the food is the symptom, not the problem. As any addiction. I need to dig down deep and address the issues that lead me to need a "vice". But now high blood pressure and health concerns come into play, so its time....it's a choice and only I can make it for me. I want to be able to tie my shoes again.....Good Luck and God Bless....
  • morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight then you will change the way you think. Otherwise you will continue to yo yo back and forth with it. Try the' Beck: the diet solution' book. It is cognitive behavioural therapy, and involves changing your mindset little by little. I have tackled loads of bad habits that I know have stopped me losing weight or helped me to put weight on in the past. Each activity you do is small, but adds up to huge changes. It cost me £5 on my kindle, the best fiver I've ever spent.

As for not logging my food: It takes me 5 minutes to do, and stops me over eating. I don't see a time when I won't do it. It is a small price to pay for being healthy and staying healthy. I understand when people say 'I don't want to' but that is like saying I don't want to clean my teeth or empty the bins. To me some things just have to be done, they are a no choice activity.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    My busy season with work is around the holidays, which means more time at my desk, less time for workouts, being lazy about tracking and eating way too much junk. I've only gained a few pounds back and as much as it sucks, at least I recognize what I need to change before it goes much further and I'm getting back on track.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Falling back into old habits, and not changing my mindset when I was losing. I saw the losing phase as a "diet" that had an end date, when I could get back to "normal". "Normal" was how I got fat in the first place.

Learning to maintain begins the day you decide to start losing. It's a challenge in and of itself.

Yep saw the whole process as a wedding diet, when I started gaining again I kept half arsed dieting for a couple of weeks but with no motivation as big as my wedding, slipping back into bad habits, now I've gained every single pound back and a couple more for good measure it's given me a wake up call that I've squandered all the hard work I did, this time I'm going to make a change for life (cringe, super corny I know) and not just hit target and walk away.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    In my teens I lost 70lbs in a little over a year by joining weight watchers. It was great, I was eating healthily and exercising. Then my dad got sick and I helped looked after him. I gained it all back and then some through binging.

In my twenties I lost 70lbs again in a little over a year through seeing a nutritionist. It was great, I ate lots of food, exercised and felt much better about myself. I could see my collar bones for the first time in my life, I did a mini marathon and lots of travelling. I dropped lots of dress sizes. Then I got depressed and gained back all the weight in six months through binging. I've been depressed over five years now, and I've gained an average of 28lbs every year.

I've been thinking about it a lot recently, While I understand now that I have an unhealthy relationship with food and using it to manage my emotions, I can't lay all the blame on that for why I gained back the weight. I think I also got tired. Both times I'd worked really hard and even though I'd lost lots of weight, I still looked fat. I still wasn't pretty or happy with other areas of my life. Weight loss hadn't been the answer to all my problems, so I gave up the fight.

Now I'm trying MFP. I'm hopeful that with this new insight I will be successful this time. I'm taking it one day at a time and doing it for what it is - weight loss. I want to be able to move around easier, take care of my invalid mum better and have more fun with my dog. I'm going to be really careful when I get to about 15 months in and eat at maintenance for a while if I have to - anything to beat the pattern. I know I'll have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life. As someone who has been obese her whole life, I know the odds are against me, but if I can get to goal and keep there, I'm very happy to log everything I eat for the rest of my life.

Good luck losing weight and keeping it off!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    about 20 years ago I lost 80lbs, started competing in marathons and triathlons. Because of my high metabolism I could pretty much eat what I wanted and not gain weight. Well asthma and bad knees caused me to retire, but I failed to change my eating habits and put on 100+ lbs. What's different now, though I do work out, my focus is on nutrition and healthy eating.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    My ex was about as motivating as a wet sponge, he had no support for me changing and instead would constantly whine and whine and whine about me exercising or eating less or even reading the calories off the back of the packets.. he would try to sabotage me bringing chocolate and sweets home practically every few days so that id be tempted to eat them so much so that eventually i just gave up and as sure as eggs are eggs the weight came back too....

Now I have kicked his *kitten* to the curb and i'm doing this for me, my future my life..i am the only one that can create my destiny...

MFP is an amazing site full of fun, sweet motivating people...one step at a time we will get to our goals,,,,

~Charlie
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Life getting 'busy' and working in a different part of the country.
    Finding my weight wasn't really going up, because I was riding a push bike every day presumably - then stopping doing that.
    "I'll get back on it next week."
    I really do like food/eating.

But perhaps worst....
    Knowing that I CAN lose the weight without TOO much hassle!

Now, it's not so much the weight but that I can't progress training so much when on a deficit.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    For me it was that I faced an extremely difficult situation in my personal life which lasted an entire year, and during that same year I had a constant, unavoidable environment of temptation with all of my biggest problem foods constantly being not only offered to me, but pushed on me. At first I resisted most of the time, but as the year wore on my resolve weakened, and by the the six month mark I'd given up completely, thrown caution to the wind and just figured I'd try again when the situation was resolved.

In retrospect, I should have kept trying and doing my best, because even if I'd gained some, I wouldn't have gained back as much as I did and wouldn't have had to start completely over.

I have accepted that what I am doing to lose will have to continue in some fashion for the rest of my life if I want to maintain. I may not log every day for the rest of my life, but I know that if I want to maintain then at the very least I'll have to weigh myself weekly and go back to logging whenever the scale starts to inch its way up, and I may just continue to log daily from here on out.

I know that while I may be able to cut down on the length of workouts eventually, I will still need to keep working out daily for the rest of my life if I am to maintain, and chances are I will continue with the length as well if I possibly can.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I list 40 lbs and was about 5-10 lbs less than I am now. I maintained that weight for three - four years and then my weight started creeping up. Once it started creeping up things just spiraled out of control and I gradually over the next 6-7 years gained about 75 lbs.

Some things are obvious to me

1. My exercise routine didn't vary and that contributed to the initial increase in weight.
    2. My exercise routine eventually went away completely (well I maintained my gym membership, but seldom went) . Part of that is discipline, part of that is my schedule just got really busy and it is hard to find the time to exercise.
    3. The more I gained, the less I cared about what I ate, which lead to some bad habits.
    4. There were some major stresses in my life

Some things that I plan to do differently now that I am in maintenance mode:
    1. Keep tracking everything -- I felt helpless when my weight start creeping up because I didn't understand why it was happening or how to stop it. I hope by continuing to monitoring calories in/calories out this will be obvious to me.
    2. I looks at exercise differently. Its sort of hard to explain, but I used to look at it as "I need to exercise" and "I need to watch what I eat" almost as two separate things. Now they are firmly linked in my mind as calories in/calories out
    3. I am trying to be realistic about my exercise. I fit it in where I can, do what I can. Just because I can't make it to the gym (or even don't feel like going to the gym) doesn't mean I can't do something else. And if I don't do something else, the impact is I eat less and not "oh I feel so guilty" but will eat the same as I was going to with the workout.
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I fell in love and moved in with a man, doomed :)

Lol isn't that the truth? :)
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I went on a crash diet and lost something like 15 lbs per month. I was eating very little and exercising 2.5 hours per day. It simply wasn't sustainable. Funny cause now I'd be satisfied with losing just 0.5 lbs per week. I don't want to be hungry and tired all the time so I'll settle for the slow weight loss. At the end of the year it's 24 lbs.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Falling back into old habits, and not changing my mindset when I was losing. I saw the losing phase as a "diet" that had an end date, when I could get back to "normal". "Normal" was how I got fat in the first place.

Learning to maintain begins the day you decide to start losing. It's a challenge in and of itself.

i'll remember this, thank you
  • OSUgal03
    OSUgal03 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Had a baby an I way over eat when pregnant. Now my baby is 8 months old and I am still right back where I started.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    ...why did you?

My goal is far, but looking to learn now to avoid a similar fate down the road.

For me it was a combination of things:

1 - I didn't realize it until I'd lost the weight, but I had this expectation that hitting my goal weight was going to fix other issues in my life. Instead I found that losing the weight took away the excuse I'd always given myself for those other things not being what I wanted. It was frustrating and demoralizing and I'm an emotional eater.

2 - Though I knew that this was going to have to be a lifestyle change for me, it was still difficult to hang around friends who could eat whatever they wanted either because they never seemed to gain weight or they were perfectly happy being overweight. It didn't seem fair and it was frustrating for me.

3 - I also stopped planning ahead and had lots of free time where I didn't do anything. Both of those are a recipe for binging for me.

But this was all in my head kind of stuff so I just had to be really honest with myself and confront some issues I'd been avoiding. My solutions were to realize that losing weight is not a magical remedy that makes your life perfect. It just makes you healthier. And I've started arranging time with my friends doing things that aren't centered around food - hiking, movies (where I can use my budget as an excuse for not snacking), museums, walks around town, etc... I've gone back to planning my meals for each week and have lists of things to accomplish each weekend to keep myself busy so I won't snack as much.

Maintenance can get frustrating because without that weight loss goal to focus on anymore, you may wonder why you are still doing it. But I got a great motto for myself now that a friend uses and I'm going to start using once I go into maintenance. "I don't workout so I can lose weight. I workout so I can eat." It may just be a matter of finding that motto or goal for yourself to help keep you motivated once you are no longer having to check a scale.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    I think keeping it off is a much bigger goal to have. I commend you guys for sticking with it.